Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the 2014 Corvette Berlinetta... 1st 2014 Vette sells for?

...For those who think the surface details are too busy and should be removed, you are in luck! You can pick up a used C5 (the blandest Corvette in modern history) for 1/5th (or less) the price of a new C7. (The C5 was probably the best Corvette made before they went and screwed it up… Right?) :P

Oh, did you nail the be-jabbers out of that or what? Dave Hill was rightly proud of the new standard in performance and structural dynamics created with that car, the blueprint of which carries through the C7. He was also rightly defensive about the styling, which was pure RX-7 pablum with a basket handle and a billboard butt, and not nearly as pretty as any of its antecedents. Thing I appreciated best about about the C6 is that I thought it had the styling and dimensions the C5 should have had all along.

Of course, the C5 wasn't the first time a 'Vette had been derivative. The '56 gained a lot of presence over the '53-'55 by adopting Italianesque side coves and the hood ribs and forward-thrusting headlights from the Mercedes SL. The C4 may still hold the standard for pure, uncluttered beauty, and it had the Ferrari 308 horizontal break line. The Corvettes that were most purely their own cars were the C2 (the ultimate for me) and the C3 (for a more, ahem, debatable effect).

For the C7 to have actively copped the F12 would have been quite the hat trick, seeing as how Jalopnik was leaking the basically locked C7 form months before the F12 broke cover - and even absent that, to suppose that GM could have ripped off styling cues and applied them to a model less than a year off debut is to betray an incomplete understanding of the time frames involved in vehicle development.

As for reaction to the C7, count me among the yay-sayers, most especially the taillights. The assumption that all those vents were tacked on for styling cues is patently mistaken; each one has a function, derived from the C6 racing program. The way this new one amps up the precision, the passion, and the drama is all winner-winner-filet-dinner for me; it's got eye-yanking presence in the photos, so I can only imagine its magnetism in the actual carbon and SMC. The fact that it's a little off-putting at first only portends the best for its boldness and impact, far as I'm concerned.

The fact that it's a little off-putting at first only portends the best for its boldness and impact, far as I'm concerned.

It's definitely more eye-catching than what it replaces. For better or worse. :P

I like it, more or less. I'd like it more if it had a little less, styling-wise. But in general I think it looks pretty cool. Except for the back end. :D

Market share? I think GM will sell a couple more of these than Ferrari, Lambo, and Viper combined. Pretty good market share to me. Each new generation of Vette is met with rampant love or hate. This model is no different. Some love it, some hate it, some are "meh" about it. It's all good. Those that want one will buy one. Those are the ones GM is after. I think they will get them. The Vette will never be in direct competition with Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston's, etc. Those are exotics that cost 4 times as much or more. When those companies come out with a $55,000 vehicle then the Vette can compete directly. That fact that people still compare the Vette to those brands is a + mark for GM! And people complain about scoops and vents? Lets go count how many are on an Aventador and a 458!

Maybe Harry (or somebody with some PS skills) could do some clean up and see if the "too many vents" thing helps.

I have already said I like the overall design. But I was also in the crowd feeling it could be better. So, lets see some improvements!

Ill give it a go with my extremely limited skills and Gimp.

Maybe Harry (or somebody with some PS skills) could do some clean up and see if the "too many vents" thing helps.

I have already said I like the overall design. But I was also in the crowd feeling it could be better. So, lets see some improvements!

Ill give it a go with my extremely limited skills and Gimp.

I'll give it a shot when I get the time. Within the next few days for sure.

The Corvette is THE American SportsCar. Always has been.

For that reason alone many who have never even sat in one will say they hate it.

It's just like so-called organized sports, I think they are all a joke but people still fill the stadiums.

Owning a Corvette allows you to view the rest of the world in the rear view mirror, even if it's sitting still.

CadillacPat

If GM had put the prototype styling directly into production, as shown, I'd be selling every car I own (except the truck) and replacing them with that. Even though it's not entirely all-of-a-piece, stylistically, its heritage is so completely, obviously Corvette, that, knowing the performance of the recent cars as I do, I frankly couldn't imagine having anything cooler. It's in-your-face fast looking, agressive and again UNMISTAKABLY Corvette with no copycat anything. Bad-to-the-bone, and ORIGINAL. Anything 'derivative' is derived ftom some iteration of the Corvette, and it couldn't be anything else.

Bill - interesting that you brought up the Stingray concept, here's some pics I took of it in 2009...

5512821504_b08c729684_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 166 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512822162_f1f980d0e6_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 167 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512824772_12b10626f7_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 170 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512826078_e07bc0370d_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 172 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512234949_f9dcf356d1_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 183 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512236347_64abda9b80_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 185 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512833870_19c368a975_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 186 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512836510_846dd1e10e_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 190 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512847330_c01d0bea43_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 205 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
5512253947_1c24762d70_b.jpg
101509 OC Auto Show 212 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

Dave's photos are great. A bit like the robo NFL character on Fox games, almost a transformer.

But dynamic without over-worked surfaces. And the backside works, the '13's doesn't. This hood has no jazzy stuff in it. Probably close to what Harry wants to do.

They should have gone with this one and done the engineering homework to get the Fed bumpers to pass.

Edited by Cato

Now the Stingray concept is exactly what they should have put out to begin with. It seems like it takes a lot of styling ideas from the previous vettes, and overall just has an awesome look to it. When I first saw pictures of this car I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen, and in my opinion should have been the C7 design. If this was actualy produced, I would love to own one.

Yes boys and girls, THAT is a Corvette. Maybe not perfect, but plenty close enough for me.

The only thing I don't like at all (I'm a picky SOB) is the flattening of the rear fascia between the taillights. I think the small angles are jarring and could have beeh handled more gracefully. Still, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If GM had put the prototype styling directly into production, as shown, I'd be selling every car I own (except the truck) and replacing them with that. Even though it's not entirely all-of-a-piece, stylistically, its heritage is so completely, obviously Corvette, that, knowing the performance of the recent cars as I do, I frankly couldn't imagine having anything cooler. It's in-your-face fast looking, agressive and again UNMISTAKABLY Corvette with no copycat anything. Bad-to-the-bone, and ORIGINAL. Anything 'derivative' is derived ftom some iteration of the Corvette, and it couldn't be anything else.

Exactly!

If they could have made the car look more like the Stingray Concept/Sideswipe, I would probably be leaving drool stains on it at the Auto Show next month. The production car just leaves a lot to be desired in the roof from the A Pillars back and in the rear bumper cover.