Model Cars Magazine Forum

who made a 1/16 scale shelby cobra 427?

sorry for such a stupid question, but i can't find anything on any kit for some reason google, and yahoo aren't working for me. i am stuck. i had a kit when i was young, (then my house burnt down and i lost it, and everything else!) but i don't remember who made it. and did any one made a 1/16 and a 1/12 scale kit of a shleby cobra 427? thank you for the help and sorry for a stupid question!

It was originally made by Esci, but was re-issued under the AMT, MPC and Ertl names. Check Ebay, they are always showing up there.

Brian's right. ;)

I got two of them by AMT several years ago on eBay , and they are excellant kit's.

Prices for the kit are still reasonable, but going up, and getting a little harder to find.

Good luck - dave :P

I dont' know about plastic model kit's, but my local store, called Hightower Collectables, has an awesome collection of incredable die-cast models of every scale.

He's got what I think is a Shelby Cobra in a large scale, but it's finish is Puter? Sorry if I misspelled it, but it's some type of shiny metal, look's like real bare metal of some sort, look's gorgeous on the model. Would be awesome to have, excpet the price tag is outrageous. He's asking for nearly over 1,000 dollars for it. But man is it sweet. He's also got a gorgeous large gloss-black Porsche 935 that I'd love to have as well, same issue, too expensive, but would be freaking sweet to have.

another Question? did any one make a 1965 shelby cobra daytona coupe?

There was a 1/32 scale done years ago (I don't remember the maker).

Harold Bradford of Historic Racing Miniatures does an absolutely beautiful 1/24 scale one done in resin based on the old Gunze Sangyo kit, but his has full engine detail among other things. His are around $165-------at least that's what I paid for mine a few years ago.

Model Factory Hiro also does a Daytona Coupe.......but expect to pay $200+ for one of those. :P

Here a few pics and a link to Harold's Fotki page featuring all the parts.

ytonaCoupebyGordonHolsinger001-vi.jpg

ytonaCoupebyGordonHolsinger002-vi.jpg

ytonaCoupebyGordonHolsinger003-vi.jpg

Those are braces for the body work. You'd cut them away and clean up the tabs, then put in the hood, trunk, and doors which are elsewhere on the tree.

I have this one also (still sealed in the plastic)-------I built one many years ago in the mid '80's and it goes together quite well. I can't remember any weird foibles about the kit.

It's nice also that they give you an uptop which is not often seen on any street Cobra. :)

cool, nice lookig models! they look fantasic!

Q: whats with the rims they don't look like the orignal style? are they after market?

The kits come with two sets of rims,I like this style better. The only differences between the two kits, the mpc comes with tinted glass and headlights, amt comes with clear.

• 5 weeks later...

The original kit of the 1/16th scale Cobra 427 was made by MPC back in 1981: molded in blue &black, as pictured by eldestructo,

really nice kit in MPC's collection of excellent 1/16 big scale kits.

The kit was also reboxed by Airfix & Esci for europe markets.

Was last reissued by ERTL back in the 90's.

As mention you can find one for sale often, on eBay, for a reasonable price.

Nice kit of a legend, but always tought that the 4 tires where a bit too wide :)

• 1 month later...