Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster Winner! Totally Traditional!

Having met a few of the people who build and compete at this level, I commend them .

And , I can assure you . There are probably subtle things on this car ( as in years past winners ) That 99% of the average people will never catch unless you sit and stare at it for hours . Even then I doubt any one person would catch it all.

The ONLY thing I don't care for is the screw clamps on the hoses. I just don't think the overall quality of the car goes hand in hand with cheap screw hose clamps .

If they were trying to re-create the flavor / style of something old, the rest of the car is WAY to good for that.

Overall I like it and would gladly park it in my garage , and I have zero interest in street rods .

PS: Are there any of those Ardun heads for a V8-60 in any kit or available from aftermarket?

I don't think so. I have only seen the Ardun heads in the Revell 1/25 '50 Ford Custom pickup kit and in resin/metal in 1/8 scale Maybe R&MCoM offers them, though?

I like traditional. You can only add so much bling. SO tired of billet and hide everything. This car is very finely detailed but looks functional. Seems like some folks are worried about moving on to to something new. To a younger generation this is something new for them. Not all of us were around for the birth of hot rodding. I guess in the end the style of the car or the color can be polarizing for some. In the end it it still grabbed one of the highest honors a hot rod fabricator and builder could have bestowed upon thier creation.

It's not a car I would build and I don't really follow award winners. I do love that it is beautifly built and exicuted. I just don't see anything wrong with it. The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom. The paint color doesn't grab me but the shine and that color does not hide a thing.

I was friends with a fellow that entered the GNRS in the 70's. Having the tire lettering and valvestems at the same place on all 4 wheels got points. He even turned down washers so that all, I mean all, of the bolt heads lined up. Thats how persnickety things get at this level.

Its rare that I dont have a criticism, but all I have to say on this beautiful piece is that the rear wheels should be an inch or so wider, so that the sidewall profile matches that of the front. Color, sweet, looks a lot like Tamiya Maroon!

Edited by Draggon

X2.

Another T treatment, maybe. Not this one. The rear wheel is positioned perfectly to blend its line right into the deck at a dead-on side profile. A fender would only destroy that effect.

Exactly, Fenders would ruin and destroy this naked effect giving the car body, form and appeal.

Otherwise it's just a shiny Ratrod.

It looks like it left the house without a shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely beautiful! If it were art work (which it is, as in sculpture) it would be in the minimalist style. The return to the so called traditional style is in effect a statement against the "billet mania" which took over the Hot Rod hobby in the 80's and 90's. This car blends the best of extremely rare old Hot Rod parts and blends todays best techniques and materials. Takes a really talented bodyman and painter to get a dark color like maroon that flawless.

For those who have opined that this isn't bringing the hobby forward, how many new ways can you hack up an old car to make a statement Vs. how clean can a car be made and still include all the essentials? Fenders would ruin the intent of this car all together. It's a "what if statement". What if todays building techniques and materials existed during the dry lakes period?

Not sure what the criticism over the colors are? It looks like most are variations and or compliments of the deep maroon body color, i.e. red is a warmer variation of the cooler maroon says "Hot Engine". The wheel color compliments the maroon. The tobacco colored leather is a most likely a mixture of the natural leathers tan darkened with a touch of maroon and brown dyes, either way it is on the slightly warmer side of maroon's compliment. Did I say I love the colors...

Exactly, Fenders would ruin and destroy this naked effect giving the car body, form and appeal.

Otherwise it's just a shiny Ratrod.

It looks like it left the house without a shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eye of the beholder, I guess, Pat. If you like the idea of fenders bumping excrescences over the profile of the deck and the nose, more power to you. Not at all opposed to fenders m'self - just not on this car.

"Shiny Ratrod", woo. Some kind of indictment there...

Eye of the beholder, I guess, Pat. If you like the idea of fenders bumping excrescences over the profile of the deck and the nose, more power to you. Not at all opposed to fenders m'self - just not on this car.

"Shiny Ratrod", woo. Some kind of indictment there...

Thanks Chuck,

I do like the idea of fender bumping excrescences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Junior High English still serves, an excrescence is a normal outgrowth of the body, something that should be there, naturally.

So yeah, It would only seem normal to me to give the body a bit more pizazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice paint and dash, it's just missing something as a driver.

CadillacPat

So if I wanted to see a full photo history of all the AMBR winners since 1950 where wuold I go? Would love to compare the change in styles over the years.

Google!

Absolutely beautiful! If it were art work (which it is, as in sculpture) it would be in the minimalist style. The return to the so called traditional style is in effect a statement against the "billet mania" which took over the Hot Rod hobby in the 80's and 90's. This car blends the best of extremely rare old Hot Rod parts and blends todays best techniques and materials. Takes a really talented bodyman and painter to get a dark color like maroon that flawless.

For those who have opined that this isn't bringing the hobby forward, how many new ways can you hack up an old car to make a statement Vs. how clean can a car be made and still include all the essentials? Fenders would ruin the intent of this car all together. It's a "what if statement". What if todays building techniques and materials existed during the dry lakes period?

Not sure what the criticism over the colors are? It looks like most are variations and or compliments of the deep maroon body color, i.e. red is a warmer variation of the cooler maroon says "Hot Engine". The wheel color compliments the maroon. The tobacco colored leather is a most likely a mixture of the natural leathers tan darkened with a touch of maroon and brown dyes, either way it is on the slightly warmer side of maroon's compliment. Did I say I love the colors...

Wow, someone who "gets it"!

So if I wanted to see a full photo history of all the AMBR winners since 1950 where wuold I go? Would love to compare the change in styles over the years.

I don't know, but this might help a bit: http://www.rodshows.com/gnrs/2012/2012-gnrs-lindig.html

Looking at the AMBR winners since 2006, I can see why this one took the prize. Five of the last six winners look dated already. :unsure:

Let's stick to discussing the car, please. -_-

I think it is as close to the perfect rod as you can get.I don't see anything wrong with it except that it's not parked at my house.The paint and polish are flawless and the interior looks to be very comfortable. As far as the flattie, I bet it purrs like a kitten and roars like a tiger when you stand on it.I give this a 10+.

At least it's not a Foose or a Boydster,those guys have ruined too many good cars with their sickening creations."Not everybody likes billet"

I like it and best of all it looks to be "Made in the USA"

Well, this car was conceived with a pretty clear track influence, and track cars of the era were generally open-wheeled. And one really sweet aspect of the design is the lyrical homage it pays to those open wheels, most particularly in their placement.

That's why fenders on this car - not saying ANY design here, just this one - would inevitably be an "unattractive or superfluous addition or feature" (the definition of "excrescence" I actually meant).

Well, this car was conceived with a pretty clear track influence, and track cars of the era were generally open-wheeled. And one really sweet aspect of the design is the lyrical homage it pays to those open wheels, most particularly in their placement.

That's why fenders on this car - not saying ANY design here, just this one - would inevitably be an "unattractive or superfluous addition or feature" (the definition of "excrescence" I actually meant).

Exactly. Frankly I thought everything Skip and Chuck mentioned was so entirely self-evident on this stunning car that it wouldn't need to be mentioned. Glad they put into words what this car is all about.

I personally got burned out on the whole hot-rod scene when it seemed to be becoming more of an exercise in seeing how much distracting crappola could be subsituted for purposeful design, proportion and flow, a trend that spilled over into the rat-rod thing even as it was a stated rebellion against the billet and Easter-egg-color cars.

A few of the super-smooth cars like the Coddington Aluma Coupe were spectacularly visionary, in combining state-of-the-art mechanicals and tech with an obviously traditionally-influenced profile. That car pointed to the true future of hot-rodding, if it's going to continue to exist in it's most basic and honest form (going to the junkyard to source and re-purpose bits to build a go-fast car with personality and style, cheaper than something of comparable looks and performance could be bought). The major parts that make up this year's AMBR, though now rare and expensive, were in the early days cast-off junk (all except the Ardun head conversion and the Kinmonts). Today's wrecking yards have no flathead 60s, '37 tubular axles or '27 T bodies, but true high performance engines, brakes and gearboxes abound, paintiently waiting for someone's creative touch to rise above their humble just-transportation beginnings.

This year's AMBR is very beautiful, and is as much 'automobile-as-artform' as it is hot-rod.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Allow me to hijack this thread for just a second since I know virtually nothing about old iron. What kind of power could you expect to get out of an engine like that with the Ardun heads, multiple carbs etc?

Oh a couple hundred probably, maybe 300 tops, more than enough in a car as small and light as that. But in reality, it isn't about horsepower. It's about style, tradition, and using something because it's "right". (And in the case of the Ardun heads there's just a little tiny bit of "showoff" because those things are seriously freakin' expensive!)

I have two flathead powered cars and the more you know about flatheads, the more you find out that they are an absolutely terrible design for making horsepower. (And horsepower wasn't why Henry designed them that way anyhow.) For the same amount of money I have in the 110-120 HP engine in my roadster, I could've built a 500 HP small block Chevy. But the flathead was the "right" engine for the style of our car. Besides, at only 1,940 pounds, it scoots right along! :D

The V8-60 powering this car started life as the small flathead of 136 cu.in, as opposed to the 221/239/255 cu.in. engines in the more familiar flathead range. With the OHV Ardun conversion and a mild, streetable cam, one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch, a magical number back then, would have been easily attainable.

136 HP in a 1500 pound car (a fenderless car in California during the period represented would have to have weighed less than 1500lbs.) is a pretty good power-to-weight ratio of about 11 pounds per horsepower. A 350-powered 1969 Corvette, for comparison, had about 10 pounds per horsepower, and was pretty quick. That performance in the early '50s would have been impressive indeed.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The V8-60 powering this car started life as the small flathead of 136 cu.in, as opposed to the 221/239/255 cu.in. engines in the more familiar flathead range. With the OHV Ardun conversion and a mild, streetable cam, one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch, a magical number back then, would have been easily attainable.

136 HP in a 1500 pound car (a fenderless car in California during the period represented would have to have weighed less than 1500lbs.) is a pretty good power-to-weight ratio of about 11 pounds per horsepower. A 350-powered 1969 Corvette, for comparison, had about 10 pounds per horsepower, and was pretty quick. That performance in the early '50s would have been impressive indeed.

and nothing sounds quite as awesome as a hopped up flattie :D