Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 GMC "General" Updated 3/25/12 "hood"

Guy's....

After a long break...I decided to do just a simple, straight forward build. This will be a cab and chassis, just like it was just delivered to the dealership...a few "spins" here and there of course...pieces and parts have been ordered. The engine is the stock Detroit, Silver series 8V92.

More pictures and progress to come, Enjoy...Kurt

DSC08165.jpg

DSC08207.jpg

DSC08215.jpg

DSC08225.jpg

DSC08231.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Very nice engine and tranny. The decals make it look cool. I spy two eyes (loops or whatever you call it) for hanging the engine in case of repair or replacement. The ones just behind the cylinder rows. I assume there should be one in front too. The closest thing to this is the tab behind the fan wheel. But there is no hole in it, so....

Just wondering, that´s all.

Jarda

Ah yes! This is a nice departure from the Kenworths and Peterbilts. Nice to see an old (now rare in any form) classic 5 star GMC. With a Detroit, no less.

I like the detailing on that engine, good transmission color too. Can't wait to see the rest of it, keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

Well...I have been "tinkering" with this on and off for several weeks...making several modifications to the factory kit.

I forgot on how bad the "molds" were for this particular kit.

Truck is in mock-up mode...I did redo the hood hinges to match OEM factory ones...the ones in the kit..had to go.

Everything is aligning properly...Kurt

Pictures to follow..

DSC08693.jpg

DSC08694.jpg

DSC08699.jpg

New Fuel tank

DSC08714.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Lookin really good Kurt!!!!!!!!! What color are you thinking of painting it?

Ben....I am going with the late 70's, early 80's OEM look. Here is a copy of the brochure I bought. Kurt

Orange/red for the frame, Silver for the cab/hood..with some Alclad and photo-etch items.

t130a.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Ben....I am going with the late 70's, early 80's OEM look. Here is a copy of the brochure I bought. Kurt

Orange/red for the frame, Silver for the cab/hood..with some Alclad and photo-etch items.

t130a.jpg

I'm in love, can't be anything else! DD 8V92 with all the trimmings, I just know it's going to be well detailed (after having seen that blue avatar Freightliner...) , Silver, the original official color and OEM stripes... Can't wait to see this one finished! This is going to look REAL good. Keep it comin' Kurt! Just drooling... :D

nice job kurt!

ANY PROGRESS ON YOUR PETE W. EAST GEN. DUMP BOX???

Sean....this project is on hold and has been for some time ....I'll get back to it at some point...I wanted to ease back into building with this old vintage build...plus I have another project that will be needing done prior to....Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

Great to see progress on the General. Is the engine in the kit the straight supercharged Detroit or is it the turbocharged version? I will certainly look out for future updates on this one.

Dave

Dave....supercharged. Wanted to keep it plain and simple...using as much as the stock kit parts...but there will be some "twists"...thanks, Kurt

Kurt, That is going to look great. Are you building it as a non sleeper ?

non sleeper it will be, thanks, Kurt

Edited by Turbo590