Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flashback: AMT Scirocco

OK, SO,, how much oil would the kit burn after it's built?

How long before it rusts out?

Honestly people, the original post is about a model.

I, for one don't gave a flying whatever about the reputation or service record of the real cars.

I think it's a neet little model. wish I had one to fo with my 4 Rabbits.

Don't know about the rest of you people but I find it ridiculous when someone posts up a model and the thread de-evolves into a debate about the quality or lack there-of of the real car it's supposed to represent. :rolleyes:

It's just a model ,, you don't need to rely on it to get to work in. :mellow:

Well then you should look into any of the countless forums that are so much better than this one that rigidly moderate the content to adhere 100% to the original poster's thoughts. When you find that place, let us all know so we can bask in it's non-devolving thread excellence.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Sir people were discussing models, which led a few of us who owned (or in my parent's case subjected to) VW Rabbits. The idea of having the kit back means I could make a model of the biggest most fetid pile of junk I've ever been exposed to...perhaps the New Stanton plant was good, maybe it was (and it was) awful. Does the fact the car I'd be replicating ought to be attached to a tow truck to truly replicate it have bearing on the kit itself. Probably not, but you don't need to come crashing into the thread like Debbie Downer because...ya know God FORBID people just have a natural conversation around here. You'd act like we're debating the pros & cons of Tatra importation after WWII. Lighten up Francis, if you can't handle that EVERY thread here meanders along, by all means start your own forum and I'm sure people will flock to it and it's heavily regimented conversation standards.

Edited by niteowl7710

My goodness.

Talk about a walk back in time.

I built this model sometime in the early 80's, back when I was a kid. I found it on the shelf of a locally owned discount store, a junky type of mom and pop pre-Walmart place, if you will. It was the only place in town that carried models, and while I really wanted the International Harvester tractor model, the VW was priced at about the exact amount of money I had in my pocket.

Truthfully, it was probably the last car that I ever built. I remember thinking 'what a piece of junk', and "here I sit building a car that isn't cool or fun". I switched to War Birds after that, and never really looked back.

Yep, it went for $20(6 bids) and there is no demand :huh:

But going by the completed listing's and the high prices they are bringing in, yep, again, no demand what so ever

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=AMT+Scirocco&_sop=16

Edited by martinfan5

I'd like to get this and the old Rabbit kits, as well.

My friend had a Scirocco we called "The Trash Compactor", but that was more about him than the car. He would never clean it, and trash, mostly food wrappers and cans woud pile up in the back. Moving the seats, and then sliding them back, to let somone in the back seat would crush the trash :lol:

• 2 years later...

One of the first kits I remember building as a youngster was AMT's Volkswagon Scirocco. I remember having difficulty getting the whole thing together and it turned out to have a significant amount of glue.

DITTO !!!

Actually my second after a 280ZX. Both were bought at a sales shop. Datsun in 1984 and VW in 1985. In France, very little people were building them and you found them for cheap.

Man, thanks a lot : you make me fell 6 year-old again ! I'm 37 and can't accept I'm aging !

A friend of mine bought a new Mars Red Scirocco GTI (was that version even sold in the US?) in 1978 and had it immediately "massaged" by Oettinger,
which did not void the warranty! He still has the car today, in as new condition, with a mere 70,000 km on it.

A bit of meaningless Scirocco trivia you never wanted to know:

- The car is named after after the Mediterranean wind "Sirocco" sic (from the Greek name, "σιρόκος" (sirokos)), that comes from the Sahara desert

and reaches hurricane speeds in North Africa and Southern Europe. This wind is called "Ghibli" in Libya and "Yugo" in what used to be Yugoslavia,

so VW, Zastava and Maserati named cars after the same wind in different languages.

- The first two generations of the Scirocco weren't built by VW, but by Karmann.

- The Scirocco became available two months before the Golf (Rabbit in USA).

- Despite the Scirocco is also mechanically based on the Golf, surprisingly few parts are actually interchangeable.

Almost every part of the Scirocco was re-engineered in favour of a 'sportier' drive, whatever that means.

- All cars designated for export to the USA had the mandatory quad round 5 3/4" headlights, so did the TS and GTI versions in Europe.

However, Giugiaro had initially designed the car with just two rectangular headlights and Europeans opting for the lower powered L and S models got them:

14916183914_dae96e7a9d_b.jpg

These were supplied by either Bosch or Hella and are specific for the Scirocco, they aren't shared with any other car.

- Throughout its production, the first generation Scirocco exceeded the sales expectations and production capacity, thus customers were willing to endure being

on long waiting lists. In the peak years 1977 and 1978 (the first post-facelift years), sales exceeded 87.000 units/year and customers had to wait over a year

to get their new cars delivered.

- The first RHD models (production of which commenced as late as Spring 1976) were exported to Japan. The first Sciroccos officially exported to the United Kingdom

and other RHD Commonwealth markets were the post-facelift 1977 models.

- Due to the relatively high prices in the UK (the Pound Sterling was severely devaluated vs. the Deutschmark at the time), UK spec 1970s Sciroccos

(called Mark 1 in Britain) are rare to begin with. The UK special edition „Storm“, roughly comparable with the GTI „limited edition“ with leather interior,

is considered the rarest version of all and commands a hefty premium among today's collectors.

Edited by Junkman

If it helps you to decide which version you want to build, my mission is accomplished.

A reissue is most welcome.
I missed the kit the first time around, since as a juvenile in Germany at the time I had little interest in it and preferred to spend my pocket money on much more 'exotic' stuff, like Jo-Han Oldies.
Now I regret it, but not to the extent that I'm willing to pay the scene tax levied on the originals.
If reissued, I'd buy at least two, one to build a replica of my friend's '78 Oettinger, one to build a low spec with rectangular headlights, which is the truest interpretation of the original design. I'd try to use the oily bits from the new Revell Golf kit.

Another rather unusual (for AMT) kit of the time that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Ford Capri MKII, which would also be a welcome reissue, if the tool still exists.

amtcapri.jpg

It would also yield a fairly decent Cologne V6.

Edited by Junkman

I understand that these Scirocco's were front-wheel-drive and all, but is there absolutely no rear suspension detail or pieces inside this kit? (It looks to me like the rear suspension is just a plastic tube that goes thru a couple of holes in the main chassis piece for the rear tires/wheels to mount onto, and nothing else).

I understand that these Scirocco's were front-wheel-drive and all, but is there absolutely no rear suspension detail or pieces inside this kit? (It looks to me like the rear suspension is just a plastic tube that goes thru a couple of holes in the main chassis piece for the rear tires/wheels to mount onto, and nothing else).

There is a hanger, but nought else.

A friend of mine, Jeremy (aka Clearly Scale, the guy who did the Vector on another forum) is working on a redo of this, with better-fitting parts, and provisions for interchangeability of an 8v, 16v, and VR6 (all of which he's working on, in some state of progress). It should be here sometime this year. He's at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clearly-Scale/381978565229192

• 2 weeks later...

There's not much to the rear suspension on the 1:1 (I own one). The kit has a decent representation of the torsion beam and trailing arms, along with the coil-over struts. Those are the parts on the bottom of the upper sprue here:

DB344731-0392-4ADA-9F11-72622D34DD73-446

If it helps you to decide which version you want to build, my mission is accomplished.

A reissue is most welcome.

I missed the kit the first time around, since as a juvenile in Germany at the time I had little interest in it and preferred to spend my pocket money on much more 'exotic' stuff, like Jo-Han Oldies.

Now I regret it, but not to the extent that I'm willing to pay the scene tax levied on the originals.

If reissued, I'd buy at least two, one to build a replica of my friend's '78 Oettinger, one to build a low spec with rectangular headlights, which is the truest interpretation of the original design. I'd try to use the oily bits from the new Revell Golf kit.

Another rather unusual (for AMT) kit of the time that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Ford Capri MKII, which would also be a welcome reissue, if the tool still exists.

amtcapri.jpg

It would also yield a fairly decent Cologne V6.

Id love to see this Capri re-released, Im doubtful it will ever happen but you never know, I had that exact kit about 10 years ago, but like a fool I sold it