Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Pontiac GTO Judge Is Completed

mrmike

Tonight the GTO got its interior, body and chassis joined together.

Judge43.jpg

Judge44.jpg

The hood got a good polishing this morning. It does have a slight twist towards the driver's rear edge of the hood. I'll run it under some hot water tomorrow morning and see if I can flatten it out some.

Judge45.jpg

Here Comes Da Judge...

Thanks Joe and no worries about the side mirror...it's on there!

I had gone and detail painted the front side markers for the GTO and noticed that the instructions where somewhat vague about the actual placement of the markers. I Googled images of a '69 Judge and all I found were small round front side markers instead of the rectangular side markers that are in the kit. These seem to be more of a cornering light than a side marker. I wanted the round side markers for my build so I drew upon my '68 Mopar tutorial for my front side markers. First I started with two common pins like you would find on a new shirt and cut them down to about 1/16th of an inch.

Judge46.jpg

I then drilled a hole in the front valance panel in the proper location. I've been told that I am a brave man for drilling into a nicely painted surface. To quote TV cop Sledge Hammer, "Trust me, I know what I am doing!"

Judge47.jpg

I inserted the pin into the hole with a little glue and then applied a dot of clear orange paint to the pinhead and I am done!

Judge48.jpg

Here Comes Da Judge...

Nice job on the front marker lights-- almost no one puts those on their builds of this kit. In scale, they are about 0.06" in diameter and they are actually body-colored with just a small clear center. The big cornering lamps were optional and, IMHO, very garish-looking. Those were mounted in the fender, between the Judge decal and the corner of the valance panel. You've done a great job with this build and it's great to see a model of the original stock car.

Thanks Joe, Charlie and Tyrone! I don't know why that line had popped into my head, but it did! I think I watched Sledge Hammer! just for Anne-Marie Martin!

Anyway, I have completed my '69 GTO Judge and it is posted Under Glass. I would like to thank all those who took the time to view and to comment on my WIP.