Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting Straight Lines in Diecast?

Question for those of you that work with diecast. I recently bought a 1/25 scale diecast Hummer four door that I want to convert into a two door.

This is a Johnny Lightning diecast, and is very detailed. It would make a good basis for any Hummer conversion.

picsay-1352062325.jpg

I want to convert this into a two door to make it into a brush firefighting unit similar to this:

416-01-1.jpg

The unit above was created from a plastic Revell-Monogram Jurassic Park Hummer kit. This kit is very basic, and lacks detail. It required a lot of detail work to make it look the way that it does...

Any suggestions on cutting the straight lines would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Kinda depends on whether or not you want to save the cut-out parts. They do make mini cut-off wheels and mandrels for the Dremel, and it gives you more control than you might have if you're not used to using a big one.

Personally, I'd make the straight cuts with a razor saw, scribe the curves with the tip of it, and snap the parts out. Dress the cut edges with rotary tools on the Dremel or hand files.

Here's a shot of 4 HotWheels Hummers precisely cut into interlocking segments using a Jewelers Saw.

I have and have used CutOff Wheels and Carbide Cuters when I first began Body mods on Zamac but they are so messy.

The precision of a Jewelers Saw allows me to accurately cut down the center of the door lines so modified castings fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

Only minute amounts of Milliput Putty were needed to seal the seams.

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

And for very small precision cuts like this,

PICT0002-4.jpg

Just use your Rotary Tool with a 1/16" bit to make your starter hole and you are on your way.

CadillacPat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. With the help of a jewelers saw, Dymo label tape, and a little patience, I was able to go from this:

picsay-1352062325.jpg

to this:

picsay-1352856563.jpg

Still have to close off the back of the cab, and decide if I want to correct the distance from the front tire to the trailing bodywork just behind it... :unsure: