Model Cars Magazine Forum

El Camino Abomination

How many 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall can you carry in a Corvette?

How many can you carry in the latest Holden Ute?

The current model's tub is too short for a full sheet.

If you really wanted a ute for work then the "Tonner" was the one you went for. Until they killed that off.

action.jpg

Given the current rate of our dollar against yours I don't think you'll be getting many of our cars over there in the near future.

Edited by zenrat

I for one liked the old El Caminos (GMC Sprint) and Rancheros. I even had hoped for the AMC Cowboy (Hornet based vehicle) which never happened except for two prototypes. I though the Dodge Rampage was nice as well, seeing I owned a 1984 Dodge Charger, which was a pretty good car till the bottom started to rust out here in Wisconsin. Now, I'm really hoping for the new Elcos. The original El Camino and Ranchero was intended for the surfer crowd and hobby farmers, or as the term was then, gentlemen farmers, and small business owners who wanted a light vehicle and had no real need for the full size trucks. When Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota and Isuzu (Chevy LUV, Isuzu P'UP) and Mazda (Ford Courier, Mazda B2000/Rotary) brought in there small pick up trucks, the coupe/pickup lost it's appeal. BTW I like the Holden ute.

Edited by lordairgtar

How many can you carry in the latest Holden Ute?

The current model's tub is too short for a full sheet.

It's not so much about length - even most full size pickups have 6' long beds. If you have 4' (+ a little) in width, you can carry full sheets. They just hang out the back by a couple of feet. Tomorrow I will demonstrate this in my almost 50 year old Ranchero.

Truth to be told, I had difficulty telling one '50s chrome mastodon from another until I started paying attention to them...

No, no that is clearly impossible. The wonderful cars of the past were perfectly styled, all very distinctive cars that newer cars could not start to be compared to. Anything else is just bland.

I too would love a Ute but no wimpy 5.7 it would have at least a 6.2l or the new one just announced.

And i loved my 85 yes it was a rust turd but the 84 in my garage is better by far , and i would love a 71 or even

a early 70's ranchero. as for hauling i will use the wife's fullsize GMC

Michael