Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

• 8 years later...

Hi Frank,  Just found your WIP for the Locomobile.  I've enjoyed see you and the Old 16 at NNL this past decade.  Missed this year but wanted to pick you brain about 'Cone Clutches' particularly for the Marmon wasp project.  Hope the 41 made it through the fires.  Look forward to seeing you and the stable at next years NNL!

I can tell you a little bit about cutting the leather on a Cone Clutch. The Seam has to be at an angle.

If you picture a cement mixer drum as the template for your leather, the seam cannot be a straight vertical cut from the wide end to the narrow, the shortest cut possible. Instead view the cone from the end, and visualize a clock face. Looking at the cone face on, the seam should start about at the 12, and slope down to the 3 or 4 number. It is a longer seam, but it helps keep the clutch from being "grabby", and keeps it from wrinkling.

I heard all of this from an old time Authorized Franklin Automobile Mechanic about 30 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Alan, One of my long lost projects is a Marmon Wasp and since i want it to appear as raced in 1911 I don't want to use the splash pan that is presently installed on the car today.  I have pretty extensive research but the most mysterious parts are the bottom of the crank case and the clutch.  These are the best I have for the clutch and an old section view for a manual.

Marmon Clutch 01.jpg

Marmon Clutch 03.jpg

Marmon Cone Clutch-02 sml.jpg

Leather Cone Clutches were an art form to get correct, according to my friend. He strongly disliked them. I wish I knew more.

You might try joining the H.A.M.B Hot Rod forum. There is a huge pool of knowledge there, and somebody may know.

There might be some  info in old Issues of the Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) Magazines, but I have no library of them to look at.