Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro Project Car

Pullin Gears

I have had this model for a while, built it once as a kid, then twice as a tubbed drag car, now age and glue decided it's fate as weathering practice

IMG_7009_zpsb6caa861.jpg

I think the paint is Testor's Artic blue, grey primer, and the red is cheapo parts store brand

IMG_7000_zps7d5df6ee.jpg

I used aluminum duct foil on the door to make it look like bare metal, as if some one was starting to remove the paint

IMG_7008_zps857bd605.jpg

Decided not to put a motor in this one. I added a leftover radiator and paint detailing, also adjusted the stanced to sit higher in the front

IMG_7005_zps2ee34bb5.jpg

Inside is various parts off the car, you can see where some one cut a hole in the floor for a 4-speed transmission swap

IMG_7004_zps7016c782.jpg

One of my favorite parts of this car, I actually cut the quarter panel off and glued it back on to make it look like someone spotted welded a replacement on

IMG_7002_zps2ae7fa2b.jpg

Underside is rough, exhaust is hanging, dirt grime and rust, muffler missing

IMG_7006_zpsa3754ae4.jpg

Looks like the owner isn't ready to let this one go!

IMG_7001_zpsc30e4f91.jpg

Nice build ! That cracked windshield reminds me of a friend's '69 SS from back in the 90's . Its body had been acid dipped ; a killer 383 stroker / hard-shifting TH 400 / 12 Bolt 4.88's combo was swapped in . It had surface rust because of the 'dipping .

The day my friend bought it , he wanted to hammer on it , so he did ...

Brake-revved it to about 3-grand and launched it ... then the body flexed radically ; the windshield cracked from lower left to upper right , and the outer layer of glass popped-out ! Ha ha ha ! Apparently the car's prior owner-builder neglected to add subframe connectors !

Thanks everyone! If you have not built something that isn't shiny, try it. If you stuck in a modeling slump it's nice to work on someting you don't have to worry about messing up or scratching. A lot of times I have more fun on builds like this, you can try new techniques and if you mess up you learn...or just add more rust to cover it up!