Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

Should be good enough for most people. Perfect model car kits don't exist. Period.

Maybe 'good enough' for people that have never seen the 1:1 subject, but those of us that know the 1:1 Fox Mustangs are disappointed in the many issues w/ the body. Revell can and has done better w/ other subjects. This is comparable to the goof up they did w/ the first issue Pro Modeler '69 Charger. Remember, 'good enough' = mediocre. Model companies should aim for excellence or not try at all.

Edited by Rob Hall

I am too, isnt our plastic pusher going to have them?, I believe I told him I wanted to get one from him, but I dont remember

Yes, but he's on an Alaskan cruise . . . we've been buying too much stuff from him!

It's ironic-funny. People used to whine all over the place about the absence of a styrene LX Mustang . . . constantly carping about having to buy expensive resin conversions . . . Now the kit that answers all the prayers is out . . . And it's NOT GQQD enough?

Just can't please some of the people ANY of the time.

It's ironic-funny. People used to whine all over the place about the absence of a styrene LX Mustang . . . constantly carping about having to buy expensive resin conversions . . . Now the kit that answers all the prayers is out . . . And it's NOT GQQD enough?

Just can't please some of the people ANY of the time.

Do you not place any importance on accuracy? An accurate body is the most important part of a kit--and the most basic requirement. An all-new kit should above all have an accurate body. This kit doesn't have one. Simple. as. that.

There is no excuse in 2013 that a model company can't get a common subject that was last in production 20 years ago right when they can get obscure subjects from 60 years ago right. Shouldn't they be using modern techniques like 3D scanning?

I don't get this 'good enough' mentality among car modelers--you don't see it in aviation or military modelers--they take accuracy of a kit very seriously and raise quite a ruckus when kit makers screw up. Car builders seem too complacent...

Edited by Rob Hall

Let's not forget it lists for $27, I don't think some of our concerns are unwarranted, body issues, decals, accessories. I am very happy irs here, I just hoped for better, esp. given recent succeses, like the 57 Ford custom.

Jeff

D6763C9E-A373-4133-8122-7AB96E2B3A42-460

34249BAA-04E3-4D90-9A63-F1F12200826A-438

I am not a huge fan of Mustangs, but I think it's interesting to compare how this model compares to a 1:1...

It's quite obvious the side window/top are not the same. This is more than a "I think the slight sloping of the roof doesn't match what I remember when" type of statement. It is clearly off. Not whining. Not saying boohoo. Just showing the obvious deviation.

Edited by Erik Smith

I've had an '88 Mustang LX Coupe for 14 years and I could tell the second I saw the very first public pictures that the body is just flat out wrong. The top looks like it has been chopped 3 scale inches. Ordinarily I think that a lot of the complaining about new kits is a little over the top but there is no excuse for THIS. It's not like they got the components of the car wrong and a little re-working can make it right. There has not been a '87-'93 Mustang model made to date (resins and diecasts included) where the body is rendered correctly. Proportions are always WAY off and the noses are always F.U.B.A.R. Is it really impossible for a model company, with today's technological advances, to get a Mustang body made correctly? Apparently, the answer is yes.

Just look at those pictures above comparing the model body to a real car. It's not just a little, it's a HUGE difference. Simply disgraceful.

And those "frost bands" around the front and rear glass that are a scale 6" wide? What the hell is that all about?

Whoever was in charge of this project within Revell and actually okay'd this must be blind. That sad thing is it would have taken just as much effort to make it right.

I would love to built some '87 - '93 Mustang models but as a 5.0 Mustang enthusiast for 20 years I can't get past how aweful every single kit is and now this one, sadly, can be added to the list.

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Has anyone thought of putting all the glass in the kit first and see just how it looks? then compair it to the real car and see. Just my two cents worth and go from there whe I get my Mustang bulit I'll compair it to the real one and see then I thing it looks nice but everyone has thier own thoughs on it.

Yes, I do have the 1/32nd scale coupes, and they have a roofline/greenhouse that is closer to scale than this. I have been in the garage the last week with my kit body, measuring it up against my 1:1 Fox. It is flat-out WRONG from the window strip up. No matter the glass in or not, you can't deny the 1.75" chop this kit has. Anybody who owns these cars can SEE it, they don't need to measure it (but I did just to be 100% sure). To all of those who want to get on those who wanted a styrene LX, finally have it, and are now complaining: There is a reason we are (so get over yourselves). Accuracy is paramount, and this is not it. The chassis plate, interior (for the most part), and driveline are quite nice, but the body just fails to hit the mark.

Believe me, nobody wanted this body correct more than me, and I even went so far as to get Ed and his development team in contact with a Mustang shop to get pictures and measurements (it will be represented in the upcoming drag car release of this kit). I have had multiple email and phone conversations with Ed while this kit was in its infancy and later at the tail end of development. I have been with this kit almost since concept, and for me to say what I do about it HURTS me. I love the Fox chassis, and will do whatever it takes to see one in any scale/representation; so to say this one missed the mark proportionally is a personal blow to me.

All of you 'it is accurate' guys get the point yet? It sure ISN'T accurate.

In looking at the test shots back on the first page of this topic, the windows look proportionally okay to me. I guess the only way to tell is to buy one and complete it and compare it to an actual car.

Glad to see some new tools coming out from companies and if the model is truly off, hopefully Revell will revise it before the next run.

Agreed. It appears the greenhouse was sectioned 2-3" just below the roof:

lxcomparo.jpg

I may be somewhat blind because I only see one thing wrong with the kit and the car and that's the alignment of the door window and the window behind that. Could someone edit the picture and circle where the body errors are because I have been staring at this for at good ten minutes and can't find what you guys are talking about.

Has anyone thought of putting all the glass in the kit first and see just how it looks? then compair it to the real car and see. Just my two cents worth and go from there whe I get my Mustang bulit I'll compair it to the real one and see then I thing it looks nice but everyone has thier own thoughs on it.

Installing the glass is not going to change the fact that the dimensions of the roof are totally and obviously wrong. The roof has been too short since the first test-shot pictures showed up on-line. I saw it immediately and it hasn't got any better. What's worse, the short roof gives the optical illusion that the rest of the body is too big. It throws all the proportions out of whack.

It's easy for the non-5.0 Mustang enthusiasts to chalk this kit up to "it's better than nothing". But, for a long time 5.0 Mustang enthusiast like myself and several other guys posting, the errors with this body are an insane let down.

So what happens next? I highly doubt Revell will do anything about it and it will be "the kit that could have been." Probably, some resin company will come to the rescue with a corrected body and it's gonna end up costing and extra $20-$30 to build an LX Coupe that should have been done right from Revell.

Total B.S.

Edited by Dennis Lacy

I may be somewhat blind because I only see one thing wrong with the kit and the car and that's the alignment of the door window and the window behind that. Could someone edit the picture and circle where the body errors are because I have been staring at this for at good ten minutes and can't find what you guys are talking about.

I will continue in a calm, non-threatening tone...but you can't deny this:

826e555d-c48d-4cb0-b212-16d8415e749c_zps

...adding the kit windows, looking at earlier posts, etc, will not change the fact that the roof is wrong. Bradley has the kit AND real 1:1 Fox bodies - he measured them - they are wrong. So...yes it's off, yes some people won't care, but please stop saying it isn't there - and don't try to convince yourself otherwise. Still, calm, cool, just a discussion...

Thank you for highlighting it. I was never saying it wasn't there I just couldn't find it. Sorry, I'm not Fox body expert by any stretch, I know almost nothing about them other that what they look like and that people like them. Sorry if it came off as if I'm being a jerk, but I just couldn't find the problem. Now what's wrong with the roof and the trunk you guys keep talking about?

Edited by Austin T

Thanks for showing the issue with the windows but it is waht it is and I will still bulid it and ore of them. If we were al picky about how perfect about every model that came out for us to bulid there would be people nit picking about the wrong type of tires chrome rims of even the wrong color of decals I know you can strip rims and get after market decals but were will this stuff end? One day the model companies will just stop doing this all together just my 2 cents on this still i think it is a nice kit anyway.