Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Pontiac Can Am

Just to add my 2¢...

As far as the resin-casting process in general... a lot of people make the comment that there will "always" be something wrong with a resin casting... as if there is something inherent in the resin-casting process that guarantees mistakes. There is not.

Any resin cast part will only be as good (or bad) as the master from which it was cast. If you start with an inaccurate master, you'll get inaccurate castings. The actual process (resin casting, injection molding) has nothing to do with what level of accuracy the finished part has. It all depends on how accurate the master is.

Sure, there are a few things that are inherent in the resin-casting process, like pinholes and flash... but basic accuracy of the cast part is in no way "held back" by the resin casting process.

I agree 100% with Mark–if you're selling a product, "good intentions" alone don't cut it.That goes for anyone who expects the consumer to part with their hard-earned money in exchange for the product they are selling.

OK, here's an offer. If Steve would like , he could send me a copy of the body and related parts for a few months. I'd make the necessary corrections and send it back to him as the new corrected master.

This should be in no way taken as me saying my skills are any better than Steve's [or whoever mastered it if not him] just that I know I can improve on the original. I'm very familiar with the subject, my uncle Steve's owned a '77 LeMans Sport Coupe for going on 25 years and still ownes it so I can go look at it any time I need to for measurements. The bodywork is my favorite part of building and this would be right up my alley.

I was really looking forward to this kit but I was disapointed when I seen it. I'd like to see a really good example and I'd be willing to help see that happen.

I like where this is going.

Kit source for the glass is mentioned in the first post,go back and read it. I'd tell you what it says,but i'm sure some of you in here will tell me its too long,too short,too wide,too narrow,too curved,too flat, etc. Ya know,if somebody put pics of their FINISHED MODEL on here and you dissed it like you did this resin piece (which somebody /not me/ worked VERY HARD to make) there would be cries of outrage!Wassamatta you! No,its not perfect,I knew that when I saw the master,but its work able....To those critics, I say.....buy one,fixit,have it cast,then watch the sharks have a feeding frenzy.........Steve Zimmerman

You make a point that we don't pick apart someones finished model like this, but then agains we aren't being being asked to buy the finished model either. When i mastered the body below it was torn to shreds by the "know-it alls", but in the end it sold very well for the caster.

DSCF0060-vi.jpg

In the end the sales will tell you how good the model is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I may be wrong Rob, but it could have been based on the body from the old Jo-Han Olds Cutlass promo/snap kit. Same GM A Body, & the most likely candidate for the conversion.

:lol:

In looking at it, I'd say you are correct. You can almost still see the Cutlass lower body lines. I'd say this one is about 3/4 of the way there but still needs work. It definately looks like a LeMans, but is not entirely there yet.

I like the '73 GTO idea.

I've only seen one in my life, and it was owned by a USAF Chief Master Sargeant when I was stationed in England back in the '80s, of all places. ;)

The blokes used to call it a "Yank Tank" :lol:

I like it. I will buy one eventually

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

I like the '73 GTO idea.

I've only seen one in my life, and it was owned by a USAF Chief Master Sargeant when I was stationed in England back in the '80s, of all places. :P

The blokes used to call it a "Yank Tank" :D

I like it. I will buy one eventually

Cheers, Ian

Odd place to see a 73 GTO for sure! I have seen one, back when they were new at Korey Pontiac in Amityville, NY. It was Jade Green Metallic, and had the chrome baby moon style hubcaps with chrome trim rings. A neighbor of mine had a 73 LeMans Sport Coupe new, a horrid orangy yellow color with a buckskin interior. A nice car but a terrible color combination for it.

• 4 years later...

I also cast a 1973 Grand Am and GTO/Lemans. I am not a professional by any means so keep in mind that these are hobbyist castings that I did for fun and because I love this body style and love to build replicas. I am working on a 4 door 77 LeMans "Enforcer" sedan like the Smokey and the Bandit car now.

resin%20gto%20kit_zpswlzrpfge.jpg