Model Cars Magazine Forum

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: Presenting my weekend racing toy!

ismaelg

Hello!

Yes I know what you are thinking: This is not a Corvette, and this is not exactly the most popular subject in the modeling community. I KNOW!

But: I am not just a Corvette guy, I'm a car guy. Back in late 2002 I had the privilege of been invited to test the whole line of Porsche cars in a racetrack. I always liked these sports cars, but after driving them like if they were stolen, I now have a much greater appreciation for them.

I build this as a car you would race on the weekends, but drive it to and from the track and use it as "mere transportation" every once in a while.

Let's start with the pictures first and then the details of the build. This is a curbside build.

DSCF5436b.jpg

This is my favorite picture :)

DSCF5442b.jpg

DSCF5421b.jpg

DSCF5431b.jpg

NO, No, no you fool! The lug nuts go AFTER the wheel is in place, not before! :lol:

DSCF5426b.jpg

DSCF5427b.jpg

DSCF5440b.jpg

DSCF5434b.jpg

more pictures and details here:

http://puertoriconet.com/images/porsche/gt3.htm

I started with the Tamiya GT3 1/24 model, with the intention of only modifying the headlights from a 1999 to a 2003 model year. HA!

- Cobra Colors Cobalt Blue authentic Porsche color

- Carbon fiber spoiler, mirrors and transaxle pan

- blue tinted windshield top

- home computer generated Brembo logos for the calipers

- PR emission inspections and license plate (so it CAN be used on the street)

This is box stock build except for the following: :lol:

- Modified bumper, headlight and headlight covers to replicate a 2003 model year

- mesh grille in the front bumper to stop track debris

- Mandatory tow hook for track usage

- Soldered brass roll bar

- leather wrapped foam core padding

- Five point harness with PE hardware (one locked, one loose)

- Computer generated GT3 emblems

- Scratchbuilt inside door handles

- machined fire extinguisher

- leather seating surfaces

- key in the ignition

- side glass eliminated (you think I'm going to hide all that work inside???)

- Drivers side rear wheel hub added studs and center nut

- brake lines added

- inside wheel well liner

- Added lug nuts

- Wheel left out of course

These Tamiya kits are so nice they are a dream to work with. The precision and fit is so superb you have to try it at least once.

As usual, your comments and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,

I have not words for this impressive build, I just have tears in my eyes after seen what my good friend did with a model of my favorite maker: Porsche!....What I can say Ismael, now I will have to make a Corvette to return you the favor after I wipe my tears.... :cry:

Simon Rivera

The reflections off that paint job are just crazy! How do you guys do that? Do the lug nuts actually screw on and off or is it just illusion display.

I am definetely going to have to get a Tamiya Porsche kit one of these days.

Thanks for the nice comments gang!

As for the reflections, well, polishing is 40% art, 40% science, 1% luck and 9% Black Magic :D

I plan to write a tutorial on my polishing process, but basically using a polishing kit and doing your homework in prep work.

As for the lug nuts, I was going to order some miniature screws but it was going to delay the project and I don't really plan to be taking them in and out frequently, so I ended up using wire.

And yes, those Tamiya kits are excellent! For brief moments I'm getting the idea of getting another and converting it to a targa regular 996 911... hmmmmmmm

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...