Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

papafo here it's a great kit.Ihave looked at for different frames to lower it. i wanted to build the sedan delivery slam to the ground. got it all done painted and went to put on the decals and they just fell apart. and i even went an got decal set before i did them. so it set not finished. i think thats the only bad thing i can about it. and mybe it was me. time to start another one. B)

While I obviously don't have access to any numbers to back me up, I would be willing to bet that by this point, the '48 Ford has outsold the Galaxie '48 Chevy by a wide margin.

Which, if true, only serves to bolster Mark's argument that this kit was the answer to the question that nobody asked...

And yet Harry.... 50,000 kits are now sold and out there! How do you answer that one?

I am not trying to start a pissing match between Chev'n Ford or Galaxie and Revell. Both are great kits and both have their weaknesses. The difference in my opinion is that the Galaxie kits are clearly higher quality tho I own many copies of either.

But it WAS one of the most requested kits as SAE demonstrated back in 1990 and I proved citing printed examples. The fact that so many of the kits have sold is proof that it was an answer to a demand. So I cannot continue to keep revisiting my question, with so many kits floating around.... why do we not see more built examples?

My thought... there are no 3.5 skill level builders left! At least that is how I see it.

Edited by Jairus

Ken, Revell had two versions of the '48 Ford. A woody and a convert. Both Galaxie and Revell kits used shared molds and both were produced about the same time. Standard production for a new mold is 25,000 the first time out. Do you really think Revell sold 25,000 of the Pro-modeler kits? I doubt it, with the price they were asking. They might be close to 50k production now with the licensed "Goodguys" release but that was not actually Revell pulling the purse strings on that release... was it? :lol:

Besides, that is not my question and you keep citing production numbers comparison. My question is and has always been: with so many kits floating around in circulation, why are there not more built?

My proposal and suggestion is that the skill level of the average builder has dropped precipitously!

Yes!

The days of chopping and channeling and wiring for lights is over. Very few builders are going the "Bill Geary" route. In fact I think guys like Bill are extremely few and far between. Most modelers want to build a car in a few days instead of a few months like we used to back in the 80's.

But then, that is just my opinion. Take it as you will...

I'd have to disagree with that Mark. First this was a limited production kit. A couple years back I mentioned these cars on here and a few people had never heard of or seen them. Which really surprised me, since they were advertised. Plus a lot of us, have so, so so, many kits that are as nice, but also never get built. My ratio of built kits to unbuilt is like 10 built and about 300 or so unbuilt and or WIPs. I bought the Delivery back in 98 or so, and before I knew it I never seen them again on the LHS shelf. I bought the Sedan online in about 2002. Now I see them back on the shelves. I beleive there have got to be more of these built than what we see, ...at least I hope so.

I agree with Mark 100% on this one. The '46-'48 Chevy is not a popular subject with the general public, and IMHO is much like other cars which used to top the SAE Most Requested new kit lists-- '54 Ford, Hudson Hornet, '48 Tucker, '58 Edsel, '96 Ford Crown Victoria, etc.-- in that they appeal to model building enthusiasts (MBEs), but not the general public. Now the average MBE has no problem dropping $35 for a kit this detailed and well engineered, but after the enthusiast market is satisfied, it takes a few years to sell out the remaining kits to non-enthusiats, who compare the box art and price to a Revell '48 Ford kit, and nine out of ten are going to purchase the Revell kit.

And how does one get ahold of Revell's sales numbers for specific kits?

I have to wonder why a company would boldly state "Accurately scaled, Fully detailed" on the box top, yet not include a single picture of the actual kit to show off the detail? While the box art is great, it gives the buyer very little idea of how accurate the model inside is, or even what it looks like when built.

Now, had Galaxie tooled up sister '70 Dodge Challeger and '70 Plymouth 'Cuda/Barracuda kits, they'd be on their third production run. :lol:

No, I didn't, Jairus. You don't understand what I said. This isn't an unbuildable kit, it's an undesireable one.

It's not that people can't build this turd, they choose not to because the subject is not at all appealing.

Then why buy a turd? Every kit on my shelf is something I purchased because I wanted to build it eventually. In-freaking-fact I have started nearly everything on my shelves by tossing in aftermarket stuff, reference photos and at least gluing together the engine halfs. That is at least 300 kits that are NOW worthless to sell on eBay. But then I buy them for Sketchpad purposes or other magazine articles or for projects. But I NEVER buy something that I do NOT consider worth building.

I would never buy a turd!

Yes, there are a lot of them out there. Some have my artwork on the box even....

But the Galaxie Chevrolet kits are not undesireable.

Why?

Because they are ALL sold!

(Major fail on your part)

Why? Because modeling is dying.

Modelers want simple.

They want quick gratification.

(hmmm, guessing I answered my own question. :lol: )

Ciao

My question is and has always been: with so many kits floating around in circulation, why are there not more built?

1) Price- higher than most were willing to pay compared to a typical $10 kit of the day.

2) Subject- as Mark said, they're just not that popular. I think Ken touched on that fact that the 1:1 cars weren't all that popular either.

3) Availability- these were never mass-merchandised at chain stores, so that makes them less available to the general public.

I have no problem with you having a slight emotional attachement to theses kits, but if you want honest answers, you should be willing to put aside you personal feelings and listen.

1) Price- higher than most were willing to pay compared to a typical $10 kit of the day.

2) Subject- as Mark said, they're just not that popular. I think Ken touched on that fact that the 1:1 cars weren't all that popular either.

3) Availability- these were never mass-merchandised at chain stores, so that makes them less available to the general public.

I have no problem with you having a slight emotional attachement to theses kits, but if you want honest answers, you should be willing to put aside you personal feelings and listen.

1) Price? Where can you find a $10 dollar kit today? Really want to know that one..... But all are sold!

2) Subject? Fine, there not popluar. But why are they all sold?

3) Availability?..... they are ALL SOOLLLLDDDD OUUTTT! (holy cow....)

I have no problem listening if your answers were remotely relative to the subject matter. I am not talking about availability, the fact they were ever, or are now, or have ever been in YOUR personal hobby shop!

The cars are gone.

The kits are sold.

The product is in the public's hands.

Has nothing to do with Galaxie Ltd any longer or the fact that there is an orange color on the box.

The fact as I see it is that modelers today are lazy pure and simple.

Edited by Jairus

Well, I'm sure they gave you a case of these kits since you worked on them so, no you never bought a turd...you're just the keeper of them.

So, if modeling is dying, why not get to work on the artwork for the funeral program? You're a natural for it. Have another drink, Jairus, and a good night.

I got two kits, one of each, not a case. And I have subsequently purchased all my own personal builds, but thanks for the compliments :lol:

What other factors?

Decals?

No color call out on the directions?

I fear that Galaxie (Yes, Gary reads these posts) will see words like "Turd" and "Undesireable" and decide to NOT invest ten or twenty grand for something new, with sentiments such as those posted in this thread.

Frankly I am very disappointed.

I was done with this until I saw this madness.

I AM DONE because of all this MADNESS!! I thought this was supposed to be a REVIEW , not an ARGUMENT on the kit!! I guess I'll either check out the kit my friend bought at our LHS or BUY ONE (Yes my LHS still has one or two on the shelves) the next time I'm there!!

I personally am looking to buy an aerosedan and an SD online this very minute...

I had always wanted one of these, but always spent the $$ on other kits...

after seeing the photos and the details, they have gone to the top of my "must buy" column...

I personally hope Gary (nice 427 Galaxie BTW..) reads this and considers doing a "more mainstream" kit...

can you imagine the sales/excitment if Gary did an accurate '70 Cuda!?!?!?

BTW #1.... will the reviewer please continue!!!!

BTW #2....look forward to the article Jairus..

Guest Chris V

I really don't get the negativity about these kits - In my opinion, they're some of (if not the) best US Car kits on the market.

Sure, they're for the experienced builder, but they're definitely worth every last cent of the pricetag.

If they plan on expanding the tooling for these, I would certainly like to see a coupe version and possibly some extra optional speed parts for the (beautiful) stovebolt six

I think the reason you don't see many built is because the vast majority of ALL model kits don't get built. I have one each of the Galaxie kits and like the subject and the kit. I would love to build them but...too many kits - too little time!!! :P

Bingo, bingo, bingo!!!!!!!!!! I bought this kit because I like the subject. My liking ia subject has nothing to do with when it gets built. I wouldnt have boughten a kit at 25 bucks if I had no interest in it, and I dont thing anyone else would either. My favorite car is the 59 Ford. I am just barely starting a kit I bought back in the mid 90's. Edited by midnightprowler

Wow, this has got to be the longest review, with out a review I've ever seen. As for subject matter, this kills me,... modelers complain when the same subjects are made ( tri 5 Chevies, Camaros, Mustangs, etc, etc ) And then complain when someone makes something differnent like a 46-48 Chevy? As for the subject matter, I like it, a customer of our brought a 47 Delivery street rod in to our shop for a stereo. So when I saw the Galaxie kit on the shelf at my LHS I bought it back in 98. Of course I have yet to build it, along with all the others. Yes its not perfect, but what kit is? I hope to see more from Galaxie soon. Dare to be Different ! Go to a 1/1 car show and see the subject matter there, now lets see it in 1/25th !

I fear that Galaxie (Yes, Gary reads these posts) will see words like "Turd" and "Undesireable" and decide to NOT invest ten or twenty grand for something new, with sentiments such as those posted in this thread.

Jairus, I think Gary is made of tougher stuff than that! :rolleyes: He published a model magazine for twenty years! He shook off a lot more garbage sent his way doing that than he ever would recieve manufacturing kits!

Frankly I am very disappointed.

I for one agree with you J. This kit is not a TURD..It is beautifully molded and boxed, The detail is second to none in this scale

Since I started this thread..I am tired of all the whiners who know so much about the kit..Looks like Billy was the only MAN here to post his build. C'mon Mark and Harry put up or shut up...lets see YOUR builds of this sweet kit...Since your talkin Turds...here is a REAL TURD...

amts3254.jpg

I wonder since we see all this knowledge given here why any kit wouldn't be perfect!!

C'mon Mark and Harry put up or shut up...lets see YOUR builds of this sweet kit...Since your talkin Turds...here is a REAL TURD...

Obviously you haven't read my posts before you commented on them.

I never said anything about this kit being a "turd," what I said was that it could have been engineered in such a way as to accommodate the chrome trim without relying on stickers. And I also said that aside from the chrome stickers, the kit is very well done.

Next time you want to call me out on something I've said, at least know what it is that I said before you decide to pop off.