Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Camaro Concept Car

Randy

Got these into the shop last week.

post-218-1196658702_thumb.jpg

Body with a separate rear spoiler, and separate mirrors molded in silver. Hood is molded shut, as this is from their Snap-Tite series. Head lights, and front marker lights are molded in clear, with chrome back grounds. Tail lights are molded in clear red. I have the AMT version as well, and something hits me as more true to the Revell version, just seems shaper. Molding is very good, but still suffers some minor sink marks. Nothing sanding won't take care of.

Molded in black, the interior tub comes with rear seat molded in. Separate door panels, front seats, shifter, steering wheel, and dash with stickers for gages. Engraving is very sharp. Looks correct for pictures I have.

post-218-1196658575_thumb.jpg

The chassis, molded in black is very basic, but again with good engraving. One thing they added to this kit I like is well engraved separate disc brakes, missing in most snap kits.

Rims are sharply engraved, with good chrome. Tires have good tread pattern (well at least different), but there is no side wall detail.

Once again, the only real short coming to this kit is "sticker", I'd be much happier with water slide decals. They do included stripes in black, think I'll be lifting these from the AMT kit.

It's a very simple kit, but between the 2, I think I'll be building this one. The hood fits, and I'm not sure AMT didn't just guess on the details under the hood in their kit anyhow.

Randy, you mentioned that the wheels are nicely plated........but how do the spokes look?

That's the one thing that keeps me from building RC2's version...............the sink marks in the spokes are too annoying for me to fill right now. I'd sooner kitbash the two to make a decent model! B)

Randy, you mentioned that the wheels are nicely plated........but how do the spokes look?

That's the one thing that keeps me from building RC2's version...............the sink marks in the spokes are too annoying for me to fill right now. I'd sooner kitbash the two to make a decent model! B)

Someone on A/F has pics and a review; he says Revell's wheels are perfect and the tires are nice too. They missed engraving part the trunk lid cutline too; but only the small gaps between each of the two taillights on each side; the line is engraved between the two inboard lamps across the back. The interior looks much more accurate from the front seat back (side panels are very odd in the AMT kit). Looks like the subtle character line that runs on the roof above the side glass and down the C pillar is evident on the Revell kit. The only real downside I see to the Revell kit is the stickers instead of decals. They have got to stop doing that! I seriously doubt in the post-Wal Mart era that builders won't mind covering the few extra cents per kit to have the same small sheet of markings as waterslide decals instead of stickers.

Mine are fine, sharp, no sink marks at all.

Excuse me for making a negative comment (I do most of my net surfing while drinking). But isnt it a little tough to critize a model of a car that hasnt actually been released yet?

I don't think anyone is critizing either kit. I just found the engraving to be shaper on the Revell kit. For what the Revell kit is(snap) great kit, and I think a good kit for a kid to build, or a great place to start for a bigger project. I guess I could wonder over to the next town and take a look at one. They've built several already in the set-up shop.

Excuse me for making a negative comment (I do most of mu net surfing while drinking). But isnt it a little tough to critize a model of a car that hasnt actually been released yet?

No, not if someone gets their hands on an early sample, or if-as in this case, the model is actually available for sale. The Revell Camaro is available now.

No, not if someone gets their hands on an early sample, or if-as in this case, the model is actually available for sale. The Revell Camaro is available now.

Not to be rude, but I think he meant the 1:1 car...

Edited by dub

Not to be rude, but I think he meant the 1:1 car...

Okay, works for that too...I've seen the car in person, it's been at auto shows all over the country, and in photo spreads in every magazine known to mankind! If it looks right...it looks right. And that it does.

After reading this, since I'm in Chicago this week, I went to Venture Hobbies and they have it! I bought one and opened it at the hotel room. WHAT A GREAT KIT!

Thanks Randy for letting us know it was out. I actually think I may get more than one..........

Thanks,

After reading this, since I'm in Chicago this week, I went to Venture Hobbies and they have it! I bought one and opened it at the hotel room. WHAT A GREAT KIT!

Thanks Randy for letting us know it was out. I actually think I may get more than one..........

Thanks,

Let me get this straight, you went to Venture Hobbies and only bought one kit? In all my years of living in Chicagoland, I NEVER got off that cheap there! Biggest problem I had was figuring out which credit card to use so "The Boss" wouldn't find out!

That place is a modelers' heaven and I sure wish we had something close to it here in the Carolinas!

Mike Scheve

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the Revell kit yesterday & a can of Tamiya Camel Yellow spraypaint, plan on giving it to my son so he can make Bumblebee from Transformers. One thing I noticed - the built up model on the box does not have the intake vent on the panel in front of the hood, this is on the AMT kit and on all photos I have seen of the real cars. (and the movie car as well) That's a real boo boo on Revell's part as this is one of the most noticable features of the car. They must have eliminated the vent to allow the stickers to adhere easily I think. Suprised none of the reviewers have noticed this.

Dave

Let me get this straight, you went to Venture Hobbies and only bought one kit? In all my years of living in Chicagoland, I NEVER got off that cheap there! Biggest problem I had was figuring out which credit card to use so "The Boss" wouldn't find out!

That place is a modelers' heaven and I sure wish we had something close to it here in the Carolinas!

Mike Scheve

And if you went on Monday the 24th, you would have been able to join the Christmas Open House, and meet Don Phillips, the orignal owner.

I like this kit, heres one I did on a recent afternoon to help snap a bad mood. Paint is Testors new one coat. No primer or clear and to me it looks ok on the shelf. As far as the kit goes, I did just a little detail painting on the interior, should have done more on the brakes, and I probably will. Not a big fan of the peel and stick stripes, but to me the car cries out for for some stripes. Anyway hers how it turned out.models013.jpg

Mike Scheve

No, no, no, no! Don't get me wrong! I bought one kit of the Revell Camaro AMONG the other things I bought :) .... and I went back the next day to finish it off :D

Dave, that looks good. Mine is waiting its turn at the bench.

Thanks,

I found a copy of this last week at a Hobby Lobby during their 30% off sale. I haven't had a chance to open it up and compare it to the AMT version sitting on the workbench. I hope to get it done at the same time as the AMT and maybe even paint them the same colors. I would really like to build a bunch of these and just might someday!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
... One thing I noticed - the built up model on the box does not have the intake vent on the panel in front of the hood, this is on the AMT kit and on all photos I have seen of the real cars. (and the movie car as well) That's a real boo boo on Revell's part as this is one of the most noticable features of the car. They must have eliminated the vent to allow the stickers to adhere easily I think. Suprised none of the reviewers have noticed this.

Dave

Perhaps it's because there's nothing really to notice. That vent may be missing on the boxcover, but it's right there on the actual Revell body shell.

Double-click the first photo in this thread and have a closer look.

You can just about make it out in Dave's photo of his green car, as well.

Perhaps it's because there's nothing really to notice. That vent may be missing on the boxcover, but it's right there on the actual Revell body shell.

Double-click the first photo in this thread and have a closer look.

You can just about make it out in Dave's photo of his green car, as well.

Oh good, it's not me. I couldn't figure out what was missing.