Model Cars Magazine Forum

resin kits & parts

so far

Missing link and Modelhause are at the top of my list for EXCELLANT quality.

Jimmy Flintstone and R+R are at the bottom

revised,

I was out of the hobby for a while. so I have not followed the advancements of the aftermkt very closely.

But Modelhaus is still the benchmark by which all others are measured.

Missing link is extremely close and will become an aftermkt source to be reckoned with.

R+R along with Flintstone and , although generally cheaper,,,, seem to be the ones no one wants to be compared to .Why ?????

I personally would prefer to pay more and receive a better quality piece from the getgo.

I recently received a resin kit from RMR and although it's not a Modelhaus quality, I think it deserves to be somewhere in the middle. Price wise it wasn't much more than a R+R kit,but the quality was considerably better.

The Jimmy Flintstome piece I received was just a body, Yea it was cheap price wise ,, and it looks it. So I guess quality IS reflected in price. I am going to get a MCW body and compare then decide to make my own or not ( it's a 64 Plymouth btw)

Based on what I have, if I need something JK has, I want to see it in person first.

I also have a few AFX N Scale bodies , quality wise is not bad , reputation though on the other hand has gone down hill.

Another good one to deal with is Compitition Resins, it's just a funnycar body but the quality was up there with the best on them

I also have a Reliable Resin body , same deal it's a nice piece similar with CR and I would from both again without question

Edited by gtx6970

IMHO, Jimmy Flintstone puts out a fair product, great variety, and the price is right. I've never seen a piece by him I thought was unbuildable. Best castings out there are by Replicas and miniatures. Modelhaus 'ain't cheap' but excellent quality.R&R, my advice....don't mail order, look at his stuff at a show (which is hard, because he's cut WAY BACK on his show stuff. Race motor Replicas does some nice stuff, but i'm a bit biased, because I do masters for them.Missing Link and motor city Resin are really nice, P&P resins are too, as are Bandit resin.....

The very Best Resin parts supplier is Replicas and Minitures of Maryland, I have done Buiness with Norm for year without a single problem.

For Bodies and full Resin Kits you can't beat.

For Bodies Missing Link is good.

I'm not going to bash any source, but there are several I will nolonger do buisness with!

I personally can vouch for the quality of ANY D.R.A.G. product. I've been to the Batcave and I've seen the first rate quality of their products. Others i've had the pleasure of dealing with are Norm Vebbers Rep.& Min. , Model Car World, Porkies Resin Casting, Bandit Resins,Modelhaus,and a few guys HERE, like Shucky, who's turbo's are THE BEST in scale,Ma's Resin's, who does EVERYTHING right, and Sean( The guy with the roll-back kit, 1st rate stuff!), and some others. Jimmy is good for the money(only 10 bucks for his bodies at the toyshows!)but the DO take a bit of work to build, and R&R, well, don't say ya weren't warned. I all honesty though, IF you see Roy at a show, then, you can ask to look at the resin you want, and them judge for yourself if you can handle it. IF you ORDER his stuff from Steve Kohler at Star Resins, ask HIM if it looks easy or hard to build, he'll give you an HONEST answer and he's pretty good on lettin ya know the truth.STAY AWAY from TKM stuff. Once you SEE it, you'll KNOW why. Hth. :D;)

My pics without reservation are: Modelhaus, R&MoM,Missing Link, Time Machine RMR, Jimmy Flintstone. There are probably others.

My Pics with some reservation: R&R & Hendrix(buy at shows or from Star models) Perry's Excellent product,but questionable customer service.Buy at shows.

The only Not at All would be RR And AFX(I don't care how good it is!)

There are some niche casters too like Fisher and Quikskins that produce excellent castings of niche products. I have BOXES of resin awaiting build time if anyone wants to know about them just ask.I might have it and could review it.

Scenes Unlimited can be added to the list of great suppliers. The Modelhaus and Rep. & Minatures are the gold standard for kits and pieces. There are many members here who cast some nice pieces and parts and it seems there are some who keep popping up with select parts every now and then.

If you have a question on a particular caster or part, just ask here and you will get the answers!

• 3 weeks later...

With resin quality isn't the first concern, It's more will you ever recive what you pay for.

I strongly disagree. That's a real slap in the face to the really conscientious ones out there If you deal with the top and middle tier you'll get your stuff. There are probably three or four that don't deliver and I've mentioned two. Most that conducted their deals that way are no longer around.

Modelhaus is the leader in the industry, Bandit Resins is an excellent product with a good value, Replica & Miniatures is great product, Scenes Unlimited has EXCELLENT products and real fair pricing... Missing links is good but I have had some warping issues with their kits...

Perrys Resin is great profuct but getting it is a real challenge...

The worst out there is AF/X, Reliable Resins (known more for his Unreliable service and product, R&R's product is a real challenge to build but he has a great product line...

replicas and miniatures of maryland are stellar, in selection, casting, and at least with the orders i have made, if it wasnt in stock norm would tell you and tell you an ETA and every time whatever it was was delivered by that date. with him picking up the extra postage. and the pieces are beyond excellent. only drawback: no overt internet presence. he would probably be overwhelmed if he had more internet outlets.

Nothing to fear from any of the following...

Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland

Promolite 2000

Modelhaus

Jimmy Flintstone

Bandit Resins

Drag City Casting

Competition Resins

P&P Resin Works

Motor City Resin Casters

Morgan Automotive Detail

and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Great product and better-than-great service, all of them.

I have two Resin bodies by Jimmy Flintstone ('60 Nomad and '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery). I'm quite happy about them, well, could be better, there are some air bubbles and other little things to be corrected but really nice bodies anyway. I don't find a reason to fear Flintstone Resins, if all of their bodies are as nice as these two.

Then I have four AirTrax bodies, they all are GREAT quality. There is absolutely no air bubbles or anything, those bodies can be just sanded a bit, primered and painted. The quality is as good as with normal Polystyrene.

Of course these are just my thoughts, but...

Edited by W-409

I've bought from Modelhaus - good products without a doubt. I have bought Flintstone stuff - inexpensive and I have no issues with what I have received - especially given the prices.But I personally think that probably the least talked about guy - but a man who produces a product that IMHO equals any of the best listed - and who gives service where customer satisfaction is the most important thing is Tom Coolidge at Promolite Models. I have Tom's '59 Ford Custom 300 and his '60 Nomad wagon and I would challenge anyone else to produce a superior product than his. What I have received is well worth the price in quality and friendly, honest service. Top notch guy with a top notch product without a doubt!

I have two Resin bodies by Jimmy Flintstone ('60 Nomad and '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery). I'm quite happy about them, well, could be better, there are some air bubbles and other little things to be corrected but really nice bodies anyway. I don't find a reason to fear Flintstone Resins, if all of their bodies are as nice as these two.

Then I have four AirTrax bodies, they all are GREAT quality. There is absolutely no air bubbles or anything, those bodies can be just sanded a bit, primered and painted. The quality is as good as with normal Polystyrene.

Of course these are just my thoughts, but...

I have been trying to order one of the 81 Dodge Miradas From air Trax but can't seem to find order info for them...

replicas and miniatures of maryland are stellar....... only drawback: no overt internet presence. he would probably be overwhelmed if he had more internet outlets.

I know Norm personally and he's a perfectionist. He didn't even vend at NNL East! I was shocked to see him walking about enjoying the show for once! He said he couldn't possibly fill any more orders in a timely fashion if he sold there. Imagine passing on the biggest show in the country to keep his customers happy? Norm is a class act. He doesn't need an actual internet site. We're doing it right now for him.