Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Peterbilt 359 - Finished

I picked this kit up off the "bay" for $23.00. Kit was complete but engine had been previously poorly assembled (gluebomb)

P3053210-2.jpg

Before I get into the assembly I want to show you something . The worst part of a truck kit for me is the tires. I hate scuffing tires. My method up till now had been a small piece of green scotchbrite and a sanding stick.

Tires shown left to right - Left tire ,Black and shiny out of the box, Middle tire scuffed with scotchbrite took me about 10 minutes, still has shiny spots in low areas, Right tire took less then 15 seconds to scuff.

P3253265.jpg

How did I do this so quick and thorough ? Simple with this.

P3253268.jpg

That mini sandblaster had been collecting dust in my hobby room for almost 10 yrs now. I had bought this years ago when I was custom painting "Brass Locomotives" for model RR guys back in Southern Nevada. Fact is I was considering taking it to Goodwill.

The drawbacks - Dusty and safety equipment as eye protection and a dust mask is a smart idea.

I am excited though as I have been dragging out this project for over a week dreading the tire and wheel assembly.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Alan - the abrasive is Aluminum Oxide. I was super for cleaning tarnished and green crud off brass.

Never tried it on plastic yet.. But I was wondering the same thing, I need to find a test subject that does not matter. It most likely will eradicate the detail or soften it. But I am curious.

On the tires I sprayed them over a plastic coffee can-(?) to catch and save the abrasive.

if it's low enough pressure it might work, but the media hitting the plastic creates heat, so it may deform/dis color it. but then again at too low a pressure, you won't get the paint to strip [possibly].

tires look great by the way :)

Thanks guys for looking and commenting.

Tom - heat is the concern in the back of my mind also .

It looked like the sun was almost going to make an appearance today (rare for the PNW)

I did get a few pics outside with some natural light.

P3263274.jpg

I am really excited how great these look and how easy it was. I am thinking some ground pastels will really bite onto this surface to simulate road grime . :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

I have used a bead blast cabinet with glass beads to knock the shine off kit vinyl tires and it works perfectly,

I noticed one day when I did some parts with rubber on them that the rubber was like new afterwards so I had to try on some kit tires with satifying results.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...

Unmasked the fenders and sat the cab on the chassis to motivate me to get on with this project.

Before I painted the hood I took some "Elmers" white glue and covered the Peterbilt emblem so it would not get loaded up with paint. Took a toothpick and lifted the edge of the dried glue and peeled it right off.

P4213348.jpg

Thanks for looking in,