Model Cars Magazine Forum

How important is it to..........

Okay, so how do you remove the lacquer? Doesn't it become one with the plastic itself?

The wheels in the photo were stripped with LA's Totally Awesome. It works tons better than Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean. I never had any luck with either of those when it came to stripping the clear coat under chrome.

Here's a photo of parts (except the engine and exhaust) that were painted black (Testors enamel) many years ago and stripped recently with the LA's Totally Awesome.

012-11.jpg

Good info Plowboy. I think I've used most of the stuff mentioned above, but nothing really got after lacquer very well once it's etched into the plastic the way I would have expected the chrome undercoat would do. I'll look into your suggestion.

Good info Plowboy. I think I've used most of the stuff mentioned above, but nothing really got after lacquer very well once it's etched into the plastic the way I would have expected the chrome undercoat would do. I'll look into your suggestion.

I've never seen the undercoat (whatever it is, not totally sure it's a lacquer based product to be honest) etch itself nor become one with the styrene, but 24 hours soaking in Easy Off oven cleaner has always removed it for me.

There are two basic techniques used for applying the "non-penetrating" lacquer base coatings for vacuum metalizing (the process by which microthin aluminum is deposited on plastic for that "chrome look": Spraying and flow-coating. Years ago, when the Chevy Rallye wheels pictured above were plated, the base coat was most likely applied with a production spray gun. Flow coating is done by running chrome parts trees under a literal "waterfall" of very thinned lacquer, the parts trees being allowed to drain uniformly (not possible with the older spray gun technique (it's pretty much what all model companies use today, BTW).

Either way, that clear basecoat is what makes model car chrome really shiny.

Art

Years ago, when the Chevy Rallye wheels pictured above were plated, the base coat was most likely applied with a production spray gun.

Art

That's not a Chevy ralley wheel. It's a '65 GTO ralley wheel. Huge difference between those two wheels.

That's not a Chevy ralley wheel. It's a '65 GTO ralley wheel. Huge difference between those two wheels.

Well, not a HUGE difference. :huh:

They're both round. They both hold tires onto a car. There's more, but ... well ... you know. :rolleyes: