Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Help!

Hi Guys,

After moving to Florida recently, I am struugling with the issues of having to paint outside with rattle cans(humidity). While primer and flat paints are no problem, gloss paints are giving me fits! They keep coming out dull. Thus far, I have stuck to frames that are the color of the body. Not a big deal that they are not glossy, but attempting to polish them would be challenging because of the small surfaces, bolt heads, chaasis parts, etc. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. We are still about 6 months away from purchasing a home with the plan to add a dedicated, air conditioned, paint booth equipped spray area...

Ouch! It's tough to combat humidity to begin with, much more so when forced to paint outside. The only suggestion I might have is to get an atomic clock that displays the humidity outside. Then only paint on days with a humidity of 65% or lower. I used to live in Bunnell (flagler county) so I feel your pain. When you buy your a/c unit get one with a built in de-humidifier. :)

Guest G Holding

Get a dehydrator. What you are dealing with is blush..That is trapped moisture in the paint. You can try a switch to enamels, thinned with Lacquer thinner..aka Donn Yost, but you need a airbrush for that.

Guest G Holding

Get a dehydrator. What you are dealing with is blush..That is trapped moisture in the paint. You can try a switch to enamels, thinned with Lacquer thinner..aka Donn Yost, but you need a airbrush for that.

So shoot your color / s and put in a dehydrator for 4 hours, then spray a couple of clear coats over, after warming the rattlecan in the dehydrator. if you keep things quick, get it back to the dehydrator. Your blush will be gone. I have painted in Key West and the dehydrator was the only way to go. Bob Downie swears by them, and he wrote an article in SA about them.

So shoot your color / s and put in a dehydrator for 4 hours, then spray a couple of clear coats over, after warming the rattlecan in the dehydrator. if you keep things quick, get it back to the dehydrator. Your blush will be gone. I have painted in Key West and the dehydrator was the only way to go. Bob Downie swears by them, and he wrote an article in SA about them.

Greg,

Thanks for the dehydrator suggestion. I have one in storage. Will have to dig it out on Monday when I am off. I did try out the duPont acrylic jamb clear coat that Dr. Cranky had mentioned on his video. What great stuff! I found it at Carquest Auto Parts. Thanks again!