Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Olds junker

Chuck Most

Nice work , Michigan Madman ( Iggy Pop ? George Clinton ? Rob Tyner ? Whose title is that again ? ;) ) .

Looks righteous ; very convincing !

I really like that STP decal ... Its application here reminds me of the cars in the junkyard scenes in Psych-Out , and the allusion to the "other form" of STP :blink: .

not sure how to tell you this...but i think your tags might be expired ;)

nice job

Nice work , Michigan Madman ( Iggy Pop ? George Clinton ? Rob Tyner ? Whose title is that again ? ;) ) .

Looks righteous ; very convincing !

I really like that STP decal ... Its application here reminds me of the cars in the junkyard scenes in Psych-Out , and the allusion to the "other form" of STP :blink: .

your thinking if the motorcity madman, Ted Nudgent

now there is someone who should run for president

Nice Oldsmobile! You sure know how to make these realistic Junkers. A thing I'd like to learn too. What you use for rust-or what technigues you use to make it rusty? Also how did you make those windows looking like that? I have '67 Mustang Junker in the works, and I'd like to make it bit more realistic than it is now.

Superb job of "junking up" the Olds, Chuck! I like the subtle touches like the missing wiper, and the rust streaks from the license plate bolts. The decals look like a teenager might have owned the car back about 1968, maybe gotten from his grandfather.

One question - I don't see any red on the taillight lenses. Are they supposed to be missing, or perhaps faded to white over the decades? Excellent work!

Sam

Thanks guys!

Niko- the rust on this one is a combination of washes and brush-painted Tamiya Hull Red, exposed Dupli Color red oxide filler primer, and actual rust from a dissolved steel wool pad. I mix the rust with 70% alcohol and apply it in washes, or get the rust down into the sediment in the bottom of the bottle and dab it on for heavier applications.

Sam- Odd you mention that- that's more or less the kind of 'feel' I was going for- right down to the '68 plate. And there's a good reason the taillight lenses aren't red. I forgot about them until you mentioned it.

Beautiful Chuck. You make your rust solution the same way I do. I've found that a few drops of Future or water based poyurethane mixed in acts as a binding agent and the finish isn't quite as fragile. The future also works great for making mud for dioramas

I might need to give that a try- I've used Testors Dullcote, which does a pretty good job of holding it in place on the model, but there always seems to be that 10% that wants to flake/rub off later on.