Model Cars Magazine Forum

3-D Printing is now affordable

I would be more shocked if that did not happen.

I know alot of people wont want to agree with this, but this could be a very good thing for the model industry as a whole, how much money they will save, and all that savings can be used , well I was going to say tool up new kits, but rather desgin new kits, frees up more money for licensing cost, and so on

The only down side with down-loadable kits, is having plastic tires, I like having rubber tires, so that is one issue I can think of already, I am not going to guess, but I dont think we will see down-loadable kits anytime soon though, I am going to guess, 3D printing is going to have to become just as mainstream as ink printing, so its going to take awhile, but I am just guessing like the rest of us

actually theres soft compound material thats available but still in its early stages.

The printer uses ABS plastic so that seems like a close material to what we all know.

One thing is it prints solid objects and uses a web-like interior to save material. This is good for small part but bodies would seem to be out of the picture.

One thing is it prints solid objects and uses a web-like interior to save material. This is good for small part but bodies would seem to be out of the picture.

As Frank mentioned, you can print a 1/25 scale body in sections if it doesn't fit within the printer's maximum printing area. And here we all thought multi-piece bodies died with Revell's '57 Ranchero and Monogram's 1/32 "Forty-niner" kits. :D

I'm still believe 3D printing will compliment injection molding, rather than replace it. 50+ years of tooling won't be rendered obsolete, and the memories those injection molded kits evoke is a real, bankable selling point which 3D printing can't match.

Jonathan brought up a good point, too, mentioning the "non-plastic" parts a kit includes. Now, while I'm all for hard plastic tires, a decal sheet will not be as easy to print out for most of us, even though we've had the ability to do it ourselves for well over a decade. And how about chrome plating? Those parts'll need to be sent out to be chromed, as Alclad and the others still haven't been able to equal vacuum plating.

I'm a dinosaur and I'll stick with the kits in my stash and all my aftermarket parts that I already have. I don't need anymore stuff, just motivation to build what I have.

You remember how the dinosaurs couldn't adapt to change and they all died out?

You don't want to be one of them... :D

I would expect to see an increasing number of print-to-order retail services that could offer larger printers and higher quality, using files from a number of sources, while affording to keep up with changing and improving technology (and keeping prices reasonable due to volume). In other words, more companies like Shapeways, with increasing capabilities. It will be interesting to see how such services deal with inevitable copyright questions.

I think home 3D printers will go through a series of fast-moving improvements in price and performance, and make early versions prone to becoming obsolete.

You remember how the dinosaurs couldn't adapt to change and they all died out?

You don't want to be one of them... :D

Unfortunately a rather large part of the modelers in general are like dinosaurs. They are so unwilling to adapt.

This technology is going to change the hobby, for the better. No more paying large sums of money for a rare annual kit, just make it at home. The little obstacles like tires and chrome playing will get sorted out. The hardest majority of the technology has been done, the printer itself.

This technology is going to change the hobby, for the better. No more paying large sums of money for a rare annual kit, just make it at home. The little obstacles like tires and chrome playing will get sorted out. The hardest majority of the technology has been done, the printer itself.

Actually, the printer technology is the easy part! Where everyone will stumble is creating a 3D model. I've been using (not creating that much) 3D models since 1992 when 3D Studio came out. I've looked at making a car but never wanted to ride that learning curve. There are a number of people making 3D Car models and most currently sell for around $100. This is not a new thing and is a pretty established industry. So expect your 3D models to start at $100 plus printing.

Here's a site with 3D Auto meshes to see what's being created now. They would still need much massaging to use for 3D printing. 3d02.com

Unfortunately a rather large part of the modelers in general are like dinosaurs. They are so unwilling to adapt.

caveman_dinosaur_hyperactive_653045.jpg

Actually, the printer technology is the easy part! Where everyone will stumble is creating a 3D model. I've been using (not creating that much) 3D models since 1992 when 3D Studio came out. I've looked at making a car but never wanted to ride that learning curve. There are a number of people making 3D Car models and most currently sell for around $100. This is not a new thing and is a pretty established industry. So expect your 3D models to start at $100 plus printing.

Here's a site with 3D Auto meshes to see what's being created now. They would still need much massaging to use for 3D printing. 3d02.com

its not as easy ive been working on making a 3d printable body out of one of those for almost a month if it wasnt for NormL helping me out i wouldve gave up by now.

Hey, the dinosaurs were around for millions of years - not too shabby for a bunch of small-brained creatures. I, too, feel like one of them. I'll welcome the aftermarket items that will be available via 3-D printing but I'll still want to open that sealed kit box and get that rush of fresh styrene. It is said that the sense of smell is the most evocative and I pretty much agree with that line of thought.

I believe model kits will be around for many years to come and i hope so cause i too like the thrill of opening up a brand new model kit, plus alot of the printing of the 3-d parts are fairly rough so making a body would be fine but it would require a lot of sanding to make it smooth, not sure about the new printers but what i have seen printed in the past there pretty rough up close. I'm gonna purchase the 6"x6"x6" version to make parts, valve covers, blowers, turbos, small parts until I learn all the ins and outs then ill move up to a larger one some day. I just think its a really cool process, yes you have to learn a program (I downloaded sketchup from google free and already doing simple shapes) but after that scratchbuilding will be a hole lot easier.

Edited by Darren B

Okay,

So let's say magically these 3D Printers become available tomorrow morning for $100 that "will" print out acceptable , albeit in sections, bodies.

And let's say this can all be done with the press of one single button. Since it is apparent that any degree of difficulty will dramatically affect acceptability, purchase and use.

Then you still have to send out to someone for Decals and someone else for Chrome plate.

So how is this going to superimpose itself over the world of Model Kits and make their 75 years of manufacturing disappear?

Like the Jetsons it is nice to dream about, but look around, there are still not any of the flying cars they promised we would all have parked in our driveway.

Even with all the spoken magic shazzam Star Trek potential, maybe one tenth of 1% of Modelers out there will attempt this.

I teach people how to design, create, print and apply their own Custom Decals but only a fraction take the initiative to attempt it and only a fraction of those correctly can and do follow directions to do it successfully.

Some may try this promised futuristic technique,, again on this proposed availability of a working machine, but 99.99% will look around and see the millions of Model Kits easily available for their enjoyment.

We are talking about 2 kinds of Artist or Modeler here.

Those who just want to enjoy a Build, and someone who is more interested in creating many many pieces from powdered plastic.

There is a high degree of personal satisfaction from being a "one man show" in any artistic endeavor, but it takes lots of effort and know how.

It is a totally different aspect of any Hobby undertaken by one tenth of one percent, at best.

I myself prefer hands on in all aspects of DieCast Customizing and would rather do it all because I don't know anyone who would go to the lengths that I do, except for one well know ScaleMaster, but in this case injection molding is dependable, accurate, and easily available.

Take it home, open the box and have a good time.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Okay,

So let's say magically these 3D Printers become available tomorrow morning for $100 that "will" print out acceptable , albeit in sections, bodies.

And let's say this can all be done with the press of one single button. Since it is apparent that any degree of difficulty will dramatically affect acceptability, purchase and use.

Then you still have to send out to someone for Decals and someone else for Chrome plate.

So how is this going to superimpose itself over the world of Model Kits and make their 75 years of manufacturing disappear?

Like the Jetsons it is nice to dream about, but look around, there are still not any of the flying cars they promised we would all have parked in our driveway.

Even with all the spoken magic shazzam Star Trek potential, maybe one tenth of 1% of Modelers out there will attempt this.

I teach people how to design, create, print and apply their own Custom Decals but only a fraction take the initiative to attempt it and only a fraction of those correctly can and do follow directions to do it successfully.

Some may try this promised futuristic technique,, again on this proposed availability of a working machine, but 99.99% will look around and see the millions of Model Kits easily available for their enjoyment.

We are talking about 2 kinds of Artist or Modeler here.

Those who just want to enjoy a Build, and someone who is more interested in creating many many pieces from powdered plastic.

There is a high degree of personal satisfaction from being a "one man show" in any artistic endeavor, but it takes lots of effort and know how.

It is a totally different aspect of any Hobby undertaken by one tenth of one percent, at best.

I myself prefer hands on in all aspects of DieCast Customizing and would rather do it all because I don't know anyone who would go to the lengths that I do, except for one well know ScaleMaster, but in this case injection molding is dependable, accurate, and easily available.

Take it home, open the box and have a good time.

CadillacPat

And your point in all that is what?, are you against 3D printing?

To Cadillac Pat:

To put it simply, you're wrong.

3-D printing technology is here, it works... but it's not quite as sophisticated or mainstream as it will inevitably be. The technology is progressing rapidly. Very soon it will be a mainstream product, guaranteed.

This technology is going to take over not only the model hobby, but all sorts of other areas. Today, many architectural firms are using the technology to print out their models... already colored and detailed inside and out, straight from the computer screen. No more foam-core models.

This technology is too big to ignore or wish away. It's going to be big in many ways. You can close your shutters and pretend it's not coming, but you'll be like the blacksmith who stood at his door watching all the cars drive by and wondering where his business went.

The only constant in life is change. And as we get more and more technologically advanced, the change is only going to come at us faster and faster. Think about how different your life was just 25 years ago. No cell phones. No home computers. No internet. No flat-screen TVs. No Kindles or iPads or tablets. No online model forums.

Get used to change. It's going to keep right on coming.

To Harry,

No, you are wrong and apparently cannot accept it.

On one hand you say the tech is here and then you come back and say it is coming. Which is it?

I gave a perfectly good, honest and logical response and got attacked for it/

Perhaps there should have been a disclaimer saying," Only responses that agree will be accepted, no disagreements allowed, ever"

One sided discussions are just that, one sided and no discussion at all.

If this technology is here then where is it? Are you printing out Models?

Just because billion dollar companies have these machines does not mean that Modelers are using them with perfect success.

I won't waste time making allusions to peoples age as I have seen with other interruptions of the topic.

That is a pretty weak comeback.

I have seen more change in the world than most here, so I can accurately gauge and see that this change is not here yet.

It is laughable that a few refuse to accept that they may be wrong.

Did you think I meant to hurt your feelings with the obvious truth?

Now go ahead and do some more of that La La thing because only input from one side of this discussion will be allowed.

Attacking people for clear information brings this board down to the level of that goofy Lazy Barn Door guy that used to be here.

But, it seems that attacking me is easier than accepting reality, or at the very least, agreeing that I make valid points.

By your assumption there should be dozens of links to Modelers that are printing and selling 3D created Models.

So where ae they?

I will disreagrd the silly side swipes that have interrupted the flow of this topic.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

I dont know, but it sure does seem that doing a quick Google search using 3D printer brings us this

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&tok=0s3NuDJ5PlluloxBj-EGRQ&cp=4&gs_id=20&xhr=t&q=3d+printer+price&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=3d+p&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.cGE&fp=b31687ff2a7cb08a&biw=1024&bih=605

So yes Pat you are right, its not coming, its already here, with in time, it will be in the hands of use modelers, I am sure it might already be.

It is very sad that you keep arguing that 3D printing is not coming, when its already here, stop, you have are wrong. We get the fact that you can not accept that fact, is it because you only deal with diecast, and 3D printing is of no use to you , I have no clue and dont really care.

But the fact is withing the current decade, its going to become main stream, just like ink jet printers/laser printers are now, like it or not. No one is saying you have to buy one, no one is saying you have to like 3D printing , but stop saying its not going to change the hobby, it will, but just like everything other new technology, its going to take some time for it to happen, just it like the time for the automobile to be come mainstream, or TVs, and every other piece of technology has, it will sooner or later.

Or if, and this is a big if, it become a flop and fail, but I dont see that happing

Edited by martinfan5

Get used to change. It's going to keep right on coming.

I don't think Pat's arguing that 3D tech isn't coming, but rather his comments seem to be more about how quickly and openly the average hobbyist will embrace the technology. I don't have anything against 3D printing, and I will readily admit it is here and will keep advancing and improving, but I'm unwilling to take to giant leap to "will completely replace injection molded model kits", and John pretty much summed up my thought when he said:

"I'll welcome the aftermarket items that will be available via 3-D printing but I'll still want to open that sealed kit box and get that rush of fresh styrene. It is said that the sense of smell is the most evocative and I pretty much agree with that line of thought"

The personal thoughts, emotions, and feelings model kits can and do evoke in some of our minds is not something to be taken lightly, as there is some serious buying power behind them, and something 3D desktop printing can not match. I liken it to comparing a 2012 Mustang GT to a '67 Mustang GT. One clearly does just about everything better, safer, and more quickly, yet some of us would choose he classic without needing to think about it.

It will be interesting to see how 3D technology progresses, and at what rate. I don't think it's going to happen as quickly as say, Harry, but I am looking forward to higher printing resolutions, lower cost, and greater availability of the hardware, software, and raw materials needed.

I don't think Pat's arguing that 3D tech isn't coming, but rather his comments seem to be more about how quickly and openly the average hobbyist will embrace the technology. I don't have anything against 3D printing, and I will readily admit it is here and will keep advancing and improving, but I'm unwilling to take to giant leap to "will completely replace injection molded model kits", and John pretty much summed up my thought when he said:

I dont think anyone is saying its going to be here tomorrow in all of our hands, it will some day soon, how soon, none of use know for that right now, but what is being said its going to happen, time frame , thats anyones guess. I can see it some day down the road having a big impact on the hobby and pertaining to the model companys, but again, in what form, we dont know right now, but we can bet that it will change some aspects of what or how the model companys design and even manufacturer kits.

But I am not saying its going to happen anytime soon, just someday in the future, and all we are doing is just guessing at this point.

I dont want to see a stop to model kits coming in box's either, I still enjoy opening up the box's, smelling that new plastic smell, I hope if that time does come, I am not around anymore in the hobby, because that will be a sad day for all of us.

Things cant and dont always stay the same, change does happen, I have to agree with Harry, like it or not, but again, I am not saying whats going to change because I really dont know, but I really cant think 3D printing would not change the hobby.

We are all going to find out at the same time, whats going to happen.

What I am about to say is just an opinion, and I could be completely wrong

I see 3D printing being the new resin casting , meaning it will make resin casting a thing of the past, but I dont see that happing for a very long time, I am thinking a decade or so, but, I dont see a big majority of the current resin casters switching over, I see it as my generation, and the one after me, I see those people becoming the next wave of resin casters minus the resin and casting, every generation brings new ways of doing things, I really have no idea, I am just guessing at this point

Edited by martinfan5

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any way that this technology won't be a big part of our hobby in just a few years. Will it replace traditional kits? No, not right away. Just like digital cameras didn't replace film cameras right away. And flat screen TVs didn't replace CRT TVs right away. And digital downloads didn't replace CDs right away. But when was the last time a new technology this different and this unique and this innovative didn't make it to the mainstream?

Pat, I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying that it's unrealistic (in my opinion) to think that this technology is going to fizzle out and go away when it already exists and is this close to being a mainstream product at mainstream prices.

You personally may not like it or have any interest in it, but it's coming, and I'd be willing to bet that it's going to fundamentally change the hobby.