Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about building stash - good/bad/rare kits

So I've finally found a way to justify spending $40-50 on whatever I want within reason per month - time to start building my model inventory! You'll notice there are no muscle cars and most of the stuff is foreign. I've already got 20 or so mopars, so that genre is covered. The answers I'm looking for here are:

1) Which brand kit to buy of any particular subject - are they worth the extra money? I've read thread on different Ferrari kits, for example. Chime in with your two cents!

2) Are any of these kits just plain bad and to be avoided? I've chosen subjects I'm interested in, but are any of these just not worth the certain frustration?

3) Are any of these kits getting to be really rare enough that I should consider purchasing a particular kit first? I have no set order I'll be getting them in, so if I may lose out by waiting to long I'd like to avoid that. I know a few are out of production and I couldn't really find them online - Audi R10 and Corvette C6R for example.

Any other suggestions are welcome! If you think I may be missing out on a particular subject let me know! For some subjects I have multiple versions/liveries in mind, hence the number to the right.

Aston Martin DBS – 2

Audi R8 -2

Audi R10 – out of production?

BMW Z4 GT3 – 2

Corvette C6R -2 out of production?

DTM - At least 3 Mercs, 2 Audi, Alfa

Ferrari 430-2

458 -2

599gto

Enzo - 2

F40 – 2

F50

Jaguar E-Type

Jaguar XJR9 – getting expensive

JGTC/SGT kits - several

Lamborghini Aventador

Countach

Gallardo

Murcielago

Lexus LFA

Lotus/Caterham Seven

Mazda 787 - getting expensive

McLaren MP4-12C GT3

Mercedes AMG SLS

Mercedes CLK-GTR

Mercedes McLaren SLR - 2

Mercedes McLaren SLR 722

Nissan R390 -2

Nissan R89C

Nissan Skylines - R32-R35

Porsche 911 GT1

Porsche 911 GT2 Road Version

Porsche 911 GT2 Taisan

Porsche 911 GT3R – 3

Porsche 935 Martini

Porsche 935/78 Martini

Porsche 959 – 2

Porsche 961

Porsche 962

Porsche Boxster -2

Porsche Cayman – 2

Porsche Carrera GT

Toyota 88C Minolta

Toyota GT-One

Sauber Mercedes C9

Edited by seanyb505

I have several of the kits on your list. I tend to buy cars I found to be particularly historically significant from a racing or design standpoint, or that have some other special meaning to me.

Lotus 7: The Tamiya Lotus Super 7 (I've owned one 1:1 and worked on a lot, both Loti and Caterhams) has some limitations. The fenders are molded in to the one-piece body shell, so if you want to build the cycle-fendered version you have some work to do. The kit has the Weber-carbed, English Ford engine and is buildable as a 'club-racer' version with Brooklands-style windscreens. I've always thought the hood top and nose molding to be a little too flat and sat-on looking.

Jag XK-E: Owned 2, 1:1s. The first (?) Revell XK-E roadster (kit #1279) I think is generally well proportioned and builds up nicely if you're careful. The Aurora roadster version has some definite proportion issues whth the windscreen and hard-top. The Aurora XK-E coupe, on the other hand, has nice lines and looks good sitting next to the Revell roadster, though there's maybe a little wonkiness around the headlights, and for a purist it's obvious that things that should be identical on the two cars are not. There is a Revell-Monogram branded XK-E coupe, kit #0556 on the box and #2907 on the instructions, that is a repop of the Aurora kit. That's all I have of those.

Corvette C6-R: The Revell C6-R was a disappointment to me. Though the engraving on the body shell is very nice (it has see through louvers on the front fender-tops and the door shells are molded separately, which is nice as a starting point), the engine and chassis detail leave a lot to be desired. Most of the engine and rear gearbox are molded into the chassis plate, so there's a limit to how far you can go in super-detailing. The exhaust-port spacing, I'm pretty sure, is noticeably wrong on the headers, but it's not painfully obvious on the built model. I wish Revell had done the C6-R the same way they did the C5-R.

Porsche 911 GT1: I have the UT Models Porsche GT1 which is simply spectacular. I haven't started to build it because it looks so good on the trees. I have no idea how it goes together, but it looks like it would make an incredible model. I also have the Revell GT1, and though it's very nice, it's not as heavily detailed as the UT (which even has separate brake calipers). Mine had some serious warpage of the body sections, even though the box was sealed and not crushed. It looks like it would build to a beautiful model though, with enough detail to make opening all of the panels worthwhile.

I have a few of the Ferraris and a couple of the Lambos on your list, but I'm out of time. I'll be back.....

Well looks like after some researching around and getting a feel for the market I decided on my first purchase: An Alfa Romeo 155 DTM kit. I wanted the Martini version as I preferred the rims and livery over the Jagermeister or the Red ones, but price and most of the sellers listing bad decals drove me away. I know that rims and decals can be had elsewhere so I just got the Jagermeister kit. 50 bucks, free shipping and still factory sealed. I felt like prices would only go up so why not pull the trigger.

Edited by seanyb505

Corvette C6-R: The Revell C6-R was a disappointment to me. Though the engraving on the body shell is very nice (it has see through louvers on the front fender-tops and the door shells are molded separately, which is nice as a starting point), the engine and chassis detail leave a lot to be desired. Most of the engine and rear gearbox are molded into the chassis plate, so there's a limit to how far you can go in super-detailing. The exhaust-port spacing, I'm pretty sure, is noticeably wrong on the headers, but it's not painfully obvious on the built model. I wish Revell had done the C6-R the same way they did the C5-R.

I believe that the C6 R was tooled from a die cast, hence the separate door's and hood, the kit is just a kit version of the diecast

I built two of them, I did add a engine from a C5R but it took a lot of work , and added the rear axle as well, but its a lot of work for something that cant be seen when its finished

Its getting hard to find the C6R kit for less $30

It's hard finding the C6R at all...Time to start thinking about the next purchase. I saw tamiya is releasing a lesser known (to me at least) version of the Mazda 787B. This is the blue and white version. The better known(again, to me) versions are selling for near triple digits on ebay, which so far is the only place I can find them. Then again if there is a new version being released soon this tells me I should maybe start thinking about another kit which is getting difficult to find. Any suggestions?

Fun research: Blue and white first version raced. It was the 787. The LeMans winning entry was the familiar green and orange, the 787B. While that one is special, I'm more looking for variety on the shelf than a particular livery. It's not that actual piece of matter that won the race, so the 787 is cool with me.

Edited by seanyb505

lol Fair enough. I figure if I set out to be intentional about accumulating then it won't be considered a "problem" so to speak. I can either say, "I've collected these kits," or, "I don't know how it happened. I just can't use that closet anymore, and people keep saying I look like a creeper with this 'stache."

In all seriousness though, it boils down to what you like and want to build. I would start with current issue kits and recently out of production stuff, these can be had the cheapest through store sales or online shopping. For older stuff, once you find something you want get familiar with the going price for it, you can do a search for completed auctions on ebay to see what other similar kits have sold for. That way, when you see one up for bid or as a buy it now you will know whether it is a good price or not. Also, look for model cars show and even 1:1 car shows that have a model area in your area so you can cruise swap meets. Very good deals can be had from people who might not know exactly what the have or vendors at closing time who are trying to make a few quick sales before packing everything back up.

... UT Models Porsche GT1...

Found a great deal (considering how many I could find for sale) on ebay so I took this advice and pulled the trigger. Less than $23 shipped! The box was opened but parts still in bags. We'll see in the coming days....

I've been going through my list and comparing prices through ebay, amazon, hobbylinc and hlj just to get a feel for market trends among the different kits. It looks like one of those four usually have stock and usually at better prices than tower hobbies or any other of the main sites. Hobby search is comparable in price to hlj, but the shipping is upper teens.

• 3 weeks later...

After some more research I narrowed this week's purchase down to the Aoshima Aventador, Mobil 1 NSX, or the Fujimi McLaren. I was pointed to fredsmodelworldonline and promptly ordered a sealed F40 Competizione, a Countach LP500S in the parts bags (both tamiya) and a parts box for the 911 GT1, with 12 wheels and tires. Total price shipped - $40. Next purchase will likely be the Aventador and McLaren at the same time to save on shipping.

• 1 month later...

Between moving, totaling my car, buying a new one, getting a new job, things have been crazy but I've made a few decent purchases. I did find a slightly started C6R on ebay for 21 shipped. After that I ordered the Aventador and McLaren GT3 from hlj, and two oop Tamiya JGT NSX kits from another ebay seller. I've got a Sauber C9 and a Porsche 935 on order now. Not quite sure where to go from here. Most of the other kits I'm looking at are still somewhat available, so I may start going by earliest release date.

On a separate note - What is the general quality of Hasegawa kits? They have some subjects I'd like and are generally 10-15 dollars cheaper than Tamiya offerings.

• 11 months later...

Update - There is a seller on a certain auction site that appears to have several Audi R10 and C6R kits for $44 and $36 respectively, with free shipping. Got one of each.

I was also able to acquire a DTM CLK and JGTC Supra on fredsmodelworld after a few months of trying to catch something. It seems the list, while updated every 1-2 months, will have kits he has already sold in previous months.