Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 International Scout II - Update 3/10/15

In serious need of a slump buster, I pulled out one of my Ertl Scout II kits that I had started on over a year ago. I had started on the rear axle doing a shackle flip (poor man's lift) in an attempt to fit some better looking wheels on it. I finished the rear axle and re-built the front axle as well. With the front axle sprung-under the rear axle needed another two scale inches of lift to sit close to level, so I used some 2mm square tubing as lift blocks. I came across some pictures of a Scout II during restoration which was a great resource to get all the missing body lines scribed. The cowl scribes look like poo as I did them freehand but they don't look too bad!

20141228_205449.jpg

20141229_005426.jpg

20141229_005248.jpg

20141229_005305.jpg

20141229_005318.jpg

20141229_005345.jpg

Motorvation for this little beastie will be an AMC 6-cylinder, which was an optional engine, along with a 4-speed manual. I'm also going to put in bench seats front and rear, sourced from a couple of AMT 1950 Chevy pickups. I have also raided my parts box for some underhood bits such as reservoirs, master cylinder, and a catch can.

Stay tuned! B)

Edited by kataranga

Sorry to disappoint, Nick. I thought this issue was just a straight rebox of the last Ertl version; my mistake!

I like to build oddball vehicles with options that tend to be less desirable, thus the AMC 6. I started researching the IH 4-cylinder and discovered that it is just the left bank of the V8, but I didn't feel confident in my abilities enough to be able to fabricate the intake and make that side of the engine look believable.

Sorry to disappoint, Nick. I thought this issue was just a straight rebox of the last Ertl version; my mistake!

I like to build oddball vehicles with options that tend to be less desirable, thus the AMC 6. I started researching the IH 4-cylinder and discovered that it is just the left bank of the V8, but I didn't feel confident in my abilities enough to be able to fabricate the intake and make that side of the engine look believable.

I've got an IH slant four in the works- If I keep creeping around this thread, it might get me motivated enough to get back at it.

I am going to build this kit for the 24 Hour Build that Gary Kulchock sponsors on FaceBook every January. Each year I try to find a fairly simple kit that's common enough to sacrifice for a quick build, and best if I have several of them in case I get into a jam during the build, I can always grab a part from a second kit. Yea, that's happened both of the past two years!

I'm going to build 'the one that got away', a Scout that I came close to buying around 1991. It was sitting up on the highway for sale, it was black with a white top and had a white scallop on the door. Finish was dull and it had a green bench interior. I noticed that it was sitting in a puddle of oil and after taking it for a quick test drive, I asked the owner to open the hood. He fumbled about a bit and said it was broken, or he didn't know how to open it.... just hit me as something being shady, so I walked away.

What happened? Someone on the next block from me bought it. So I saw it sitting there (in a big puddle of oil) for years! The guy drove it for years so it probably was a pretty good truck. I would've figured out what the leak was and fixed it. Yea, I've thought about that truck for years and have kicked myself. So it deserves to be on my shelf!

A small update. I mocked up the interior and have since filled in the transmission plate and built brackets for the front seat. Haven't decided if I should make brackets for the rear seat; the Chevy bench is taller than the kit piece and even though it is sitting on the floor, the Chevy bench is at the same height as the kit bench. Will probably leave it as is.

20141229_213648.jpg

And here's my little bit of madness. I've seen the fiddly details my fellow club members that build armour and aircraft deal with so I figure I can manage this. I cut out and filed down one of the centre caps from the kit wheels to fit in the ones I'm using, which are from an MPC Bronco. Turned out pretty good!

20141229_223752.jpg

Another update, and a few steps back as well. I had a huge issue with the paint on the body crazing and ended up having to strip it and start again. I did take some mock up shots so you can see what direction I'm heading colour-wise.

20150101_153734.jpg

20150101_153739.jpg

20150101_153757.jpg

I have finished up the engine, which is an AMC 258 6-cylinder:

20150103_214749.jpg

20150103_214802.jpg

The transmission and transfercase are from the Revell Jeep CJ-7. The engine is from the AMT Pacer, I believe. The air cleaner I used is from an MPC Bronco.

As anyone who has built this kit knows, the engine compartment is rather sparse. As in, the kit only adds a battery to the emptiness. Here it is straight from the kit:

20150103_170740.jpg

And here it is after I've added a bunch of items:

20150103_214726.jpg

And finally, here is the engine in its home:

20150103_214859.jpg

Very cool engine bay. I also had noticed the engine bay was sparse and the kit instructions actually had you putting the battery in the wrong space. I see you had some reference shots because you have that all right! I love the heater assembly on the right side inner fender... did you make it? Or where are the accessories you used come from? I ask because I'm about to start a Scout II myself.

Great work! Hope you get past your paint hurdle.

The heater box, passenger side reservoir, and battery came from the same MPC Bronco as the air cleaner. I originally planned on using the Bronco's radiator and shrous as well because they are so thin but the hose inlet is on the wrong side for this engine. The wiper motor is from an AMT 71 Charger, catch can and the other reservoir are from a Revell 67 G TX, and the brake booster and master cylinder are from the Revell Jeep CJ-7 that donated other parts to this build.

Who would've thought all those varied parts would end up on one build? :D

Who would've thought all those varied parts would end up on one build?

That is quite a parts box raid! :D

I had anticipated making the heater box since it's only three simple shapes. And I was hoping you'd say all that stuff came from one kit! (and hoping i was one I had extras of! Asking too much!)

I can steal the rest of that stuff from my own varied parts kits and parts bins. Thanks for sharing!

And now we are back in colour again. I have learned something from the previous paint job: although Krylon paints claim to be dry in 10-25 minutes, this time is greatly increased by using a dehydrator. This time I painted the white roof first, then masked it off to paint the body. No dehydrator, and I didn't get any tape residue on the paint! I ended up with some slight orange peel on the blue, but I'm okay with that as my theme for this build has kinda been a backyard restoration a fellow did on his own and he probably painted it outside so it fits! I want to let the body gas out at least a day or two before I start handling it heavily for foil, so I started with the grille which had been painted the last go-around. I used a different primer on the body this time than last time, so it is actually a touch lighter than the grille and interior; I'm hoping once the grille is detailed it won't be noticeable.

20150107_234013.jpg

20150107_234028.jpg