Model Cars Magazine Forum

hairpin radius rods

i have a metal dropped axle kit from somewhere that had some nice ones in it. unfortunately the rods themselves, being white metal, were way to wavy and soft...so i cut off the "batwings" and rear mounting brackets, drilled them and replaced the rods with pieces of paper clip or maybe it was cut down straight pins. looks great now.

wish i could remember who made this set...model car garage maybe?

but maybe i misread your post...maybe you want the style with one attachment point in the rear that comes forward to the center of an arc with the ends of the arc continuing to the front axle.

arent those type on the orange crate reissued fairly recently?

seems to me they are. also seems to me they have abundant flash obscuring them.

yep r&d unique, that would be the one. still have one unopened tube front end and one A-arm suspension front end, also in metal that i will use on something one day

paul, heres a pic of what im referring to, as i mentioned its not the style you want so i didnt face the dilemma of how to join the hairpin radius to a straight one-arm link:

motorinchassisandbody1re.jpg

close up of the "batwing" front part:

sharptankfrontend27ba.jpg

unfortunately i dont have a closeup of the rear bracket handy but maybe you can see what im talking about from these images.

(this car has progressed a lot since these photos were taken but its still nowhere near complete and i keep putting it off to do other things...one of these days i will get serious again and you will see sparks fly)

but back to your hairpin...you might try chopping off a small section of aluminum tubing, like maybe 3/32" or so (a mini tube cutter will help) then epoxying it to the radius of your hairpin after drilling a hole in the opposite side from where you will glue it to put the single link rod out of it. then i would fill the tube with black epoxy and call it a link. might look good, might not, but wouldnt take too long. you could use a paper clip for the actual hairpin rod and a section of straight pin for the single link and then attach the single link to your frame section with a drop of epoxy to represent a mounting bolt.

you could take that idea and make it look really cool with a little work and ingenuity.

good luck and post a pic!