Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 Street Charger

geordie

My number one aim will be to finish the kit (within a reasonable time, say two months), basically stock build, '80's street machine, jacked rear end, black pint, will do some additional wiring, basically relive my youth, I first build this kit when I was about 18, never finished it.......I chopped the roof.

I'm working on two of them right now (and 4 DOH Chargers), an original kit and a re-issue.

As a heads up there are a few issues:

You'll have to fiddle with the mounting of the front wheels or they will tow in at the top like crazy (the DOH kits are the same way).

If you mount the rear axle springs inboard of the frame rails and shave down the brake drums and the wheel backs some, it tucks the tires in some so they aren't so rediculous looking.

The valence under the rear bumber is short on every single kit I have (6 of 'em between the Street Charger & Dukes kits) so I just made new ones.

If you don't fiddle with the headers at the mounting flanges, they won't tuck in far enough and the Torsion Bars won't fit.

As usual, I can't upload a photo of my WIP :)

Please keep us updated on your progress though.

When I try to upload them on Advanced, the little spinner thing just keeps going and going.

On Basic, nothing hapens.

I uploaded a pic from Photobucket onto the Truck forum and it ended up as a link to all the photos I have on there so far which are not many.

Problem is, I can't remember how I did it :)

I'm gonna fiddle with it and see if I can get it to work again :)

OK, I'm excited to have made a start on this new project this evening.

post-9706-0-61470100-1333600082_thumb.jp

This is a recently re-issued kit....box art looks identical to original. The underside of the box includes an image of all the trees and parts, handy for checking for missing parts.

post-9706-0-78192300-1333600084_thumb.jp

post-9706-0-42629500-1333600087_thumb.jp

Cylinder heads have molded hemispherical pistons in various stroke locations to simulate positions on crankshaft

post-9706-0-67354100-1333600089_thumb.jp

Detailed dash with raised gauge detail

post-9706-0-76468500-1333600093_thumb.jp

Two trees of chrome parts.....too much chrome for me, a lot of this will get refinished

i

post-9706-0-36836400-1333600096_thumb.jp

'Rubber' meats, fuel hoses and plug leads, red tail lights, glass and gauge lenses, and transparent valve cover - won't be using that

post-9706-0-98288300-1333600098_thumb.jp

Decal sheet

post-9706-0-73102700-1333600077_thumb.jp

Hood, firewall and front and rear valances......I'm not a kit historian, but the tree includes the raised ERTL company letters

Here is a link to the instructions

http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/mpc768.pdf

All trees were checked to ensure I had all the parts, washed in mild detergent, rinsed, dried and re-bagged, ready to begin

Started by basically gluing the parts together that will be painted as a sub assembly, engines halves, transmission halves, seats etc.

post-9706-0-28790000-1333600970_thumb.jp

There was a fair amount of flash on the parts to clean off, but few deep ejector pin marks. Parts will need small amount of filler on joints. The front face of the engine is 'stepped' when glued together...this is intentional...the timing case has a corresponding 'step'. See piston detail as well, will be hidden when valve covers are in place.

post-9706-0-35905000-1333600963_thumb.jp

Note molded casting numbers on the block halves.....not strictly to scale....but I'll leave them alone...they'll all but be hidden by the headers. Note engine molded 'cast' finish.

post-9706-0-17405600-1333600968_thumb.jp

Progress to date, thanks for viewing. Haven't decided on engine color yet, will not be Hemi Orange, as I'm going for the '70s street freak look, will likely be red.

More soon

You wanna get rid of that clear valve cover?

I could definately use it and want it :)

I didn't see it in my kit, gonna look here in a minute.

Shoot, I could use the decals too for that matter.

I can buy the stuff from you or swap something for them

Lemmee know at your convenience.

Michael

Michael,

I'm just starting the build, so it's early days yet. I'll probably be using at least some of the decals. Don't think I'll be using the clear valve cover, but remind me in a week or so, if by then, I'm not using it, you're welcome to it. Send me a PM in a week or so.

This evening I got the clutch bell housing attached to the transmission. The kit comes with a clutch which is (potentially) viewable through an removable observation / maintenance panel, on the underside of the bell housing.

Glued the cylinder heads to the block. Lapping the tops of the block, removing fine molded detail, will make the cylinder heads seat better. Detail will be obscured by cylinder heads anyway. Also the height of the location pins on the cylinder heads needed to be trimmed a little for a good seat.

Both halves of the, nicely detailed, rear end are glued together. Poke yoked alignment pins made this a no brainer. I want to separate the pumpkin detail with paint later on.

post-9706-0-68354100-1333688284_thumb.jp

Thanks for viewing.

Edited by geordie

Still working away.....slow, but steady

This weekend I,

• Installed the timing cover on the engine, not much more that I can do on that before block painting. Cylinder heads are on.

post-9706-0-51270500-1333949041_thumb.jp

• Got the seat halves put together
    • Started work on the chassis, filing ejector holes
    • This evening I got both halves of the engine cage glued together
    • Transmission and bell housing are together
    • Also both halves of the rear end

post-9706-0-60182100-1333949044_thumb.jp

Thanks for viewing

• 3 months later...

YES YOU DO!

Shame on you :)

I'm plugging along on mine, got MY version of the General Lee just about done, been working a ton on the "Daytona" conversion (it isn't going to be a perfect Daytona, I've changed some stuff but I'm building it for me).

I wish I could get pics to load :(

Hey, I'm new here and to modeling (haven't built one since I was 12 or 13, and I'm 49 now). I just bought this re-released MPC 1/16 STREET CHARGER and I wanted to build it like the '73 Charger SE I had in high school. When I got it, it had a full halo white vinyl roof, white leather/vinyl Brougham interior. The original paint was that plum crazy purple, but I had no idea about what striping it may have had because it was painted over in white (triple white, right?). It had the 440 motor, automatic trans, and factory air. Oh, and a manual crank sun roof and electric windows. I swear it was a 1973, but it didn't have those louvered rear window thingys.

Anyway, sorry for getting off track. I dug into this street charger kit, read the instructions, checked out the parts, re-read the instruction, and noticed that there were a few parts in the kit that weren't shown in the instructions. I checked, and found that this is a re-release of a street machine kit from back in 1984 or so, which was a re-release from a Petty stock car kit back in the mid 1970's. Some of those extra parts were left overs from those earlier releases, and some of them are not usable in this kit - like the clear gauge lense from a race dash, holley carb & linkage, rear end cooler & pump, and a few fuel cell related hoses (can't see them in the trunk anyway). Several of the other parts not shown in the instructions ARE usable in this kit, if you know where to put them. The steering box, the ignition coil (chrome), the angle braces to the fire wall (maybe if the supercharger doesn't get in the way), possibly the pedals with modification, and the rear bulkhead also with some modification. Also, the transmission linkage is missing, so I guess we'll have to make it, or leave it out.

Some of my early thoughts on this build: 1. Plum Crazy purple paint with white side stripes and vinyl roof, and maybe I'll try to cut the sunroof in. 2. Chrome trim similar to what would have been included in the SE package. 3. I'm going to try to do the interior details as close as possible to my original car, but even at 1/16 scale, these things are pretty small. I've been downloading (stealing) a lot of photos of chargers for reference, and I'm real excited to get started. I like to do alot of research before starting a project like this, so that's how I found this forum post.

Ya, you really should get back to finishing your project. I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

If you want to get rid of any left over parts lemmee know.

I still want some clear valve covers ! :)

Gonna do some work on the "Daytona" this evening.

The Grey General Lee is finished except for putting on the push bar, gonna do that tonight too.

I will try again to load some pics.

Be sure you guys post pics, I wanna see those cars :)

Like I said, I'm new here. Is there some way you could PM your address and I'll get those extras mailed to you.

I want to use the chrome valve covers, but I was thinking of not gluing one side so I can take it off and show the piston and rocker details. It would look kinda odd with that supercharger and manifold on the engine, but with the head off. That might not work out too well. Lots of details to think through.

Cool thanks...pm sent

Why don't you just make some studs for the blower, manifold, headers, valve covers, and heads so you can slide 'em on and off?

Kinda like a quickie tear down for a blown head gasket :)

Edited by Bonekrosha