Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 IMC Dodge LVT-1000 Kit

Casey

This subject has been covered many times on the Big Rigs board in the past. And at least one very good LTV 1000 has been displayed on this board. One of the best is by modeler Bitner.

zojllt.jpg

I've posted this particular tractor before, but I finally got around to adding the trailer to it.

P1010300.jpg

P1010301.jpg

P101111111.jpg

They said the LVT-1000 was too old to be commercially viable but, I sure would love to have one or 2...

IMHO, Testors has made several decision that were bad for Big Rig modelers. They displayed a Peterbilt 362 cabover, yet never went ahead to produce it. It seems their bias towards cars has cost truck modelers at least to interesting kits.

I've questioned Testors judgement on the 'this subject is to old for us to produce in kit form' call. I don't really see how a tractor that was not even a decade old (at the time the kit was being planned) could be considered 'old'. Especially when you consider it came out roughly the same time as the smaller L series, and the fact that the L-700 itself was a few years old by the time IMC kitted it.

Thanks Casey for the info I have one of AITM kits that I'm going to build it for my 2nd Mopar transporter with a load of new 67 Plymouths and Dodges. I remember as a kid IMC showing the kit but never built it. Waited for it but as we know it never came.

A daycab is offered too.

Dave offers the daycab version as well. The one pictured here looks like the one from Aussie Resin. Dave's kit also includes his usual goodie package--mirrors,exhaust, air intake, wipers, steering wheel & column, etc.

Dodge made heavy trucks (class 7-8) for about 5 decades starting as Grahm Bros in the 20s till they quit in 1975. The L series coe was built from about 1964 to 1975. It used the same cab as the W series Ford coe. The first Dodge truck bulit with a Detroit diesel 8v71 engine was a 1964 L series built for D C trucking . It's a shame IMC didn't produce this kit. Dodge trucks were fairly popular, there should have been more models produced of them as well as White, GMC and Ford trucks.

Dodge and Ford used the same cab with their own details just like Ford c series shared a cab with the Mack n series. Cab sharing between competing brands was common.

These both look very similar to me, but I don't know if I'd call them the same cab as the Dodge above? Interesting, either way:

unknown_ford_produce_hauler.jpg

mccullough_produce_white.jpg

The White 7000 was a totally different truck. It was the first truck to use composite materials. The cab had quite a few fiberglass components. In fact to the serious big rig enthusiast, the White 7000 looks nothing like the Dodge or Ford.

Dodge and Ford used the same cab with their own details just like Ford c series shared a cab with the Mack n series. Cab sharing between competing brands was common.

Well,never heard of that,I'd like to see some info.

Lots of cab sharing was done.Here is what i know on this history subject.Im sure there is more

Mack used the basic shell of the ford BUDD cab,FWD used it for a while too.FWD used the dodge C cab,it was built by BUDD also

The international emeryville cabovers. conventionals,and low c.o.e. used a REO designed cab.

Whites and diamond reo,and later westernstar used autocar cabs

Henderickson used international cabs and Ive seen one picture of a c.o.e. with a peterbilt cab.

Hayes and Brockway used mack cabs,when mack owned them.When hayes was briefly owned by paccar the c.o.e. used a pete cab .

Pacific used international cabs.

Scot and a cement truck named RRC used a ford louisville cab

There is a late model KW c.o.e that used a euro cab,forget the models though.

Edited by mistermodel

I can't remember where I read it but I read the Budd company built the Ford w and the Dodge L as they did so many cabs. Either way they certainly could be related. No doubt IMC missed the boat. On a side note check the Wheels of Time magizine archives for an article called "The cabmakers of Orrville" it's a very interesting read. Great conversation I thought everybody fell off the face the earth the last week or so.

• 5 months later...