Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attack of the floor monster AGAIN!

I was working on AMT 71 Duster and I was sanding the nubs off the dizzy when "fling" it went sailing through the air. I knew I was in trouble when it didn't make a noise. I have already lost the coil to the same model but It's easy enough to make my own. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal since I have hard wood floors Boy was I wrong. I just get sick of these lil set backs. If the model companies really want to start making money they should start making packs of extra distribitors, coils & things of that nature :D. What is the most common thing that sets your builds back? Lost parts is my number one followed closely by paint issues. Let me hear the thing that bugs you the most about model building?

Loosing parts and gluing windows! I work on model trains a lot, and boy, it's a good think I have a hoard of small parts! I'll go to look for something, and I'll find something from a previous repair or build or project!

Edited by JMD904

I got bitten by the floor monster a couple of weeks ago when it stole the steering wheel from the Camaro I was working on. I searched everywhere, my wife came in and searched everywhere and it was gone. 2 days ago I found it sitting in plain view under the bench.

I guess he didn't like it.

Go figure.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who deals with missing parts that seem to grow feet and hide in plain sight. I think prepping for paint is very tedious. I have to break up my sanding sessions or I start to rush and not enjoy myself. Model car building is definitely a hobby of attrition in every sense of the word. The end result is always worth it though.

But of course Dave! You'll find it sitting right next to the engine with the Parks distributor mounted on it... :lol:

I have the same problem... I lose parts to the kit I'm working on to the insatiable appetite of the floor. The part could be 1" square, and flat, and when I drop it, it'll roll faster then the best Hot Wheels car ever made... :huh:

I have even held ceremonies where I have sacrificed spare parts to the beast. The beast is never interested in the sacraficed parts as

no matter how I offer (throw) the parts to the floor they always remain within site.

I cannot intentionally loose parts that I don't care about.

I think Discovery channel may be interested in doing another reality show based on the monster of the floor.

Has anyone ever seen or got a picture?

Dave, I don't see the model manufacturers coming to our rescue with a tree of distributors and coils. The aftermarket, scratch building and parts kits and bags are your friend.

My favorite distributors are the Model Cars and Replicas of MD ones that are cast predrilled. They come several in a bag for around $5 so they're not all that expensive. As you mentioned, you can also scratch build the parts. Since I build a lot of cars with 4 and 6 cylinder engines, and most of the aftermarket distributors are for eights, I've been making my own from Evergreen tube and wire. I also seldom pass up cheap parts kits, which are the source of well, parts! About a year ago I bought a huge bag of plastic junk at a show, and filled my parts drawers with all kinds of things that will come in handy someday. Like today, I was working on my '28 Citroen truck and noted that the kit had a little bump on the rear door for the tail light. I have a whole little drawer full of red lenses from years of parts collecting. I found one that was ideal.

IMG_3017-vi.jpg

Here's my Citroen 4 cylinder engine. I made the distributor from Evergreen tube and the coil came from my parts drawer marked "Engine accessories".

My problem is finding someplace to be able to consistently, quietly, happily work.

As I'm in a very cramped situation right now, everything is multi-purposed, even stuff that shouldn't be, and it leads to missing/mislaid parts, although usually in a couple of square foot area, lack of ability to work steadily, etc.

The big project this spring, I think, will be to get this major hobble taken care of.

Tom- nice job on that engine.

Charlie Larkin

Hahaha..great topic..I was washing the sanding dust off my '56 when I heard a tink sound..

well it turned out to be a tail lite I had dry fitted on the body..one was still there but I lost one

down the drain..ugh! ...at a recent show I dug thru several boxes and built ups and came up

empty..the cheapest '56 kit was 18 buck..not justifiable in my book for one tail lite lense..

going for a Lucas tail lite treatment if I can't find a replacement.

Yeah I absolutely hate losing those small parts. My issue mainly involves trying to pick up and place a teeeeeeeny PE piece with a pair of pointed, magnetized tweezers. The piece goes "phtwing" and flies off to neverland... way too small a part to even think you'll be able to find it. I stopped using the tweezers for this process and pick up the part with a moistened toothpick (I lick it) and touch the toothpick to the part, over a white paper plate, and put it in place, using a very small drop of clear enamel as the glue (dried paint makes an excellent glue). I tried using clear, 2 part epoxy to glue the PE parts, but I wound up wasting too much epoxy as it's tough to squeeze out only toothpick tip sized drops of epoxy and hardener.

The other main thing that bugs me about modeling is sanding mold lines, seams and sink marks. Sanding mold lines from tiny parts is such a P.I.T.A. and sooooo time consuming. But it's all part of the prep work of building a good looking model so I just grin and bear it.

Dave, the idea is to learn from those mistakes and not make them again on the next model. None of us have made "the perfect model" but, hopefully, each one gets a little better than the last. We can all find our own little mistakes or that one little chip in the paint, or the tiny spot on the chassis that we didn't paint, etc., etc.... but usually not very many, if any, other people are going to see that tiny little defect.

one more issue I have is my own forgetfulness (i think it's from things I did back in the day wink wink) like on one model I wasted two straight days looking for a wheel rim. I knew I had two on the tree still and I was looking for the two I thought I had laying around. During the whole time I would look at the two on the tree and then the two I had mounted on the rear axle but it didn't compute. I swore there was still two laying on my bench somewhere not realizing the two I was looking for were already mounted!!! Can you say duh boy's and girls :)

Yeah I absolutely hate losing those small parts. My issue mainly involves trying to pick up and place a teeeeeeeny PE piece with a pair of pointed, magnetized tweezers.

Is there such a thing as a pair of tweezers that will actually hold a part and not propel it into orbit?

Is there such a thing as a pair of tweezers that will actually hold a part and not propel it into orbit?

There are those "reverse-tension" kind, I think Micro-Mark still sells them that hold tension on the object in the "grip" automatically and you apply pressure to it to release the part.

The vinyl floor monster in my semi ate three ignition coils out of three separate GM kits a few years ago.

The Great Invisible Floor Monster recently ate one of the carb/manifolds from a Manx buggy I was building.I saw it drop and searched for several minutes all around my work area to no avail.So back into the box the model goes until I find a replacement carb.

I am working on a Heller Citroen truck and the three pedals are the size of fleas. To show you where they go, there is a little circle on the floor board, but you're pretty much standing these on end. I needed a more definite mount, so I drilled three holes in the floor board. I got two of these glued in place (and neatly too!) and the third one did that 'plink!' off into hyperspace. I didn't even go searching. I decided to make a more traditional gas pedal out of black plastic and glued it in place. I'm sure the lost one will now show up!

My work bench disorganization monster has absorbed the same model's dashboard. I know I painted it but I can't find it. That's why I have two of the same kit open! I grabbed the part from the second kit, primed and painted it last night. When and if that lost piece shows up, it goes into the second box.