Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1962 Impala SS

jjsipes

Has anybody gotten one of these yet? I was wondering what is really different with this kit. I was at a car show this weekend and seen them in a booth but, didn't get one. It appears to not have any of the drag parts or the steel wheels in it. Looks like the only options for wheels are stock full wheel covers and a set of large diameter custom wheels.

untitled.jpg

Pretty sure that air cleaner is the same one that was included for the drag version in the previous issue.

Maybe..I haven't built any of my previous issue ones and don't recall what the drag parts were exactly.

Are the tires that come in the kit the standard issue California Wheels tires ('66 Chevelle wagon, '67 Chevelle, '64 Chevy truck) or something different?

I think so...the same low profile tires.

Yeah, what happened to the special edition boxtop with views of both versions. I thought that was the best box art style that Revell had done in a long time.They did it for the first release, why not do it for the SS.

gus

Probably 'cause this time it is a "California Wheels" series kit instead of one of the "Limited Edition" ones. :)

So, take one of Revell's (actually, one of the nicest of any manufacturer) model kits and rerelease it...with less than the original kit????

Here are the new parts:

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

plus the "California" low profile tires and a new decal sheet.

The new parts consist of a front bumper, finned valve covers, custom wheels, center console with chrome shifter plate, bucket seats, chrome spinners for the wheel covers, and a grab handle for the dash. The finned air cleaner is the same as the Impala Special Edition release.

The bad part is the missing parts. No more steel wheels or dog dish caps. No more drag parts. No white wall decals on the decal sheet.

I agree - the built up on the box is not the most attractive build. The white decal stripes running the length of the side are ugly and conflict horribly with the chrome trim.

This is still an outstanding kit - but the Special Edition has more parts and pieces that I like.

Note - I don't think 62 ss Impala's had SS scripts anywhere on them - correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit - Forgot...there is a column mounted tachometer in the new SS kit.

Also, I believe there should be an SS emblem on the passenger side of the trunk lid - it is not on the kit or supplied on the decal sheet.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

So, take one of Revell's (actually, one of the nicest of any manufacturer) model kits and rerelease it...with less than the original kit????

Here are the new parts:

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

The new parts consist of a front bumper, finned valve covers, custom wheels, center console with chrome shifter plate, bucket seats, chrome spinners for the wheel covers, and a grab handle for the dash. The finned air cleaner is the same as the Impala Special Edition release.

The bad part is the missing parts. No more steel wheels or dog dish caps. No more drag parts. No white wall decals on the decal sheet.

I agree - the built up on the box is not the most attractive build. The white decal stripes running the length of the side are ugly and conflict horribly with the chrome trim.

This is still an outstanding kit - but the Special Edition has more parts and pieces that I like.

Note - I don't think 62 ss Impala's had SS scripts anywhere on them - correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit - Forgot...there is a column mounted tachometer in the new SS kit.

Also, I believe there should be an SS emblem on the passenger side of the trunk lid - it is not on the kit or supplied on the decal sheet.

I picked up this kit last weekend and I also noticed the emblem errors on the decal sheet. The quarter panel emblems should have an SS circle emblem. This kit has has the standard non-SS quarter panel emblems. Hopefully Revell will correct the errors soon. It shouldn't be too hard, all they have to do is correct the decal sheet and instructions. Until then, if you want to build a correct Impala SS you can use The Model Car Garage's photoetch kit or try foil casting SS emblems from the AMT '62 Impala SS convertible kit. Kudos to Revell for fixing the battery error from the '62 Impala kit. The battery now has the correct 6 caps instead of the incorrect 5 caps. They still haven't corrected the "Chevrolet" lettering to the rear tail cove. I agree that the box art is ugly but it's still an excellent kit inside.

I don't get why the mold bumper guards in place- leave them separate! Looks more realistic, and best of all... you can leave it off if you don't like it. (That's not just directed at this kit, but the majority of kits with molded bumper guards.)

Problem is they would have to have holes or notches in the bumpers for the guards. So those wouldn't work well for plain bumpers. I like that they have different bumpers between some issues, can always mix and match like I've don'e w/ the '55 convertible and hardtops.

• 7 months later...

IMG_4746.jpg

Are the included low profile tires the "good" tires, as also found in the Revell '66 Chevelle wagon and El Camino kits, or are they the "bad", super narrow tires found in the Goodguys issue of the 1/25 Revell '55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop kit?

I looked both the Revell '62 Imapla SS and the '63 Impala SS boxes over, and the '63 appears to have the "bad" narrow tires, but it's hard to judge by the box art.