Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sad News - Caroll Shelby

Carroll Hall Shelby, the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia. Shelby, who affected the aw-shucks demeanor of the chicken farmer he once was, said, "I never made a ###### dime until I started doing what I wanted." What he wanted was, if you will, power for the people, automotively speaking. Beyond just his efforts in the small world of hot-rodding, Shelby influenced how Detroit automakers thought about high-performance, and he proved that hard work and bit of guile can make a hero. The litany of significant cars he created is long, running from the original 1962 AC Cobra - small British sports car with a big (for the times) Ford engine - through a sojourn at Chrysler and a stint with GM via a failed Oldsmobile-powered car, back to Ford. He was involved with development of Ford's GT 500 Mustang, the 2013 version of which is certified as the most-powerful regular-production car in the world. Rumors began circulating about a health problem when the affable auto man failed to appear as scheduled at the New York auto show in early April to promote his latest creations, the 950-horsepower Shelby 1000 and the 1,100-hp Shelby 1000 S/C. Shelby published an update on his Facebook page in late April to say, in the vein of Mark Twain's "the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated," that he had been hospitalized for pneumonia, but was "resting comfortably with family and working on getting better."(USA Today)(5-11-2012)
Edited by martinfan5

Guest Johnny

I know he wasn't liked by all, but I'm sad to see him go. He probably lived 3-4 times as long as he was expected to. R.I.P. Carroll......

He definitely beat the odds!!!

Godspeed Carroll Shelby

Edited by Johnny

Indeed sad news having followed his career since the 50s when he was an upcoming driver ace here and in Europe. He transformed America's approach to automotive performance and supported it till his final days. His remarkable heart surgery and his genourousity to bettering the health of others, especially children marks him as a modern humanitarian that is rare these days. Monterey speed week this year will be all the more poignant as Shelby and Cobra are the featured marque.

We all will mourn Carroll's passing with our own memories, mementos, and, of course models...

This is a sad day for automotive enthusiasts around the world. I've never met the guy, but can't help but feel a loss here. Rarely in modern times does a single man like Mr. Shelby have such a lengendary legacy. But what can I say that hasn't already been said about the man.