Model Cars Magazine Forum

What about a series of existing custom trucks as kits?

Ok, not everybody is into custom trucks or cars but it probably would open up the doors to kids a little more too.

It would certainly get MY interest! Of course some of these could be based on existing kits, the ubiquitous Kenworths and Peterbilts...

Even Moebius could get on that subject pretty easily with both their Lonestar and the upcoming Prostar. There is one pretty famous Prostar that was touring shows not too long ago. The Lonestar just begs to be modded to death!

Like this Prostar:

customprostar.jpg

I know there are tons of aftermarket parts out there, why not have a readily modded kit or two or 5?

A kit based on an existing full on "outlaw" custom truck?

Hey! Even that Transformers Peterbilt 379 or that black Decepticon Motormaster Kenny K100 Aerodyne show truck!(relatively easy!)

Also, resin casters...

custom show disc wheels(notice custom Prostar pic), lowered springs, custom airbag systems?

I'm looking for opinions!

Given how popular modified, personalized, and outright 'hot rodded' tractors and large trucks have gotten over the last few years, I'm suprised it hasn't happened yet, even with an existing kit with a few new custom parts added.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of the trucks built on Truck My Truck introduced as kits- a few of those were based on trucks not available in kit form. Such a thing could concievably kill two birds with one stone- you'd have a customized rig available in kit form, and the guys who'd like to just have that particular truck will have it available to them, even if they might need to kitbash to put it back to stock. Heck, provide the stock parts too, if it's economically feasible.

Any of the trucks from Transformers would be a good idea from where I sit- again, suprised there aren't any available now. Wonder if there might be a licencing issue preventing such a thing.

The kit would have to be buildable as both standard configuration in addition to the custom parts. Extra parts are good.

Tim

I agree, extra parts are great to have. It's nice to have options. Revell is good at that with their Peterbilt series...

AMT did a custom Pete 352 which they called the "Turnpiker" way back. That kit was a little over the top but had some interesting parts in it. Wide Flotation tires, full rear fenders, a huge front bumper and some other goodies. We could even include the Tyrone Malone trucks for that matter.

What I'd like to get my hands on is a kit that has parts that are used by real 1:1 custom trucks today. Or could we at least get some custom upgrade packs for some of the more popular models? Revell has whitewall tire and slick packs for cars, there were some engine kits some years back too. Man if Round 2 got to releasing cutomizing packs for their re-released truck kits they'd even have more of a hit on their hands 'cause some people would buy the basic truck kit twice for a stock and a modified with the pack!

Why not put the extra parts in the basic kits too? I'd pay for some extra air filters and snorkels, custom sun visors, molded look rear fenders, a fifth wheel cover, new design wheels, lowered suspensions, steerable front axles, texas style bumpers, rear light panels, trailer connector boxes, frame cover panels, moon hub caps, custom grills... Include photoetch stuff too... You name it! But stuff we see today, not 40 years ago. That could be done to update older trucks. It would renew my interest in these kits even more. There is money sitting there. I know I can buy some of that stuff from cottage suppliers like KFS, P&P, AITM and others. Buit those "packs" or full custom kits would also reach other customers than the core truck modelers too. Think about it!

This board has become a board for car modelers that want to build an occasional big rig kit.

And what makes you say that? I see some interested truck builders making comments here. It's not written anywhere that you have to like it and nobody is held to follow this either.

But it would be interesting to have some other options to building strictly work trucks. By the way a lot of the customs work during the week too. It only comes down to a matter of taste.

And I'm not questioning yours. If you have an FLD in your avatar, obviously you have good taste. I think there are some very interesting custom rigs out there that are worth replicating

and most likely some of us have good ideas to make our own.

For the record, I have built 4 trucks and 3 trailers in the last 3 years and another Kenworth on the way (not a lot I know) and one very near stock 57 Chevy BelAir.

Lets loosen up a bit, we're here to have fun!... Aren't we? :huh:

Edited by BigBad

Well; On paper the idea sounds great; but in reality what you will get when the model companies use some "artistic license" are kits like the old AMT Junkyard dog. with dented fiberglass bonnets. I may be a bit on the leary side; but in my defense, There are quite a bit of great custom parts out in the aftermarket, I know this as fact; and indeed when I was casting smaller scale big rig parts; I mastered a ton of custom stuff; But I think I was ahead of the market; as the sales of the parts didn't reflect MY liking of building customs.... I sold some parts; but I just don't think everyone else was ready for them at the time. I would also welcome ANY new truck kits out to the market, as new subjects are always nice to have. If you want custom parts for your trucks; message eric at Porky-N-petunia; he has plenty..... Now if I could just get some new 1/16 scale truck kits.....That would be awesome too; bit I am pretty sure that's not gonna happen; and that's what scrath building is for ....................................And as a side note; I don't think that modelers have to be pidgeon holes into one modeling genre...I personally build Lots of different subjects; so let's all get along .......Matt

That's why I mentioned the Turnpiker Peterbilt, Matt. They went a bit too far for some details, while some details were better, but the interest was limited because of that. It's also why I'd like them to reproduce an existing custom rig or two or three so they stay within the real trucks "parameters". so we'd get pretty good new parts and kits. I also agree with you for the available parts out there, there are plenty, Most of them are excellent, I order them all the time and it does get expensive sometimes. Why I'd like for the main model providers to make these models is because they have the means to make prototypes, make new molds, try out new parts on existing kits and keep costs affordable. While I know I can also scratch build a lot of parts such as fenders, bumpers, visors and fuel tanks, I can't make a custom wheel and it's difficult scratching a new suspension. And I, like others don't always feel like scratch building everything I need. On the other hand, I think it would breathe some new life in some old re-issued kits and probably interest a larger audience that just wasn't there for stock trucks. And by the same time interest the same people in the regular production kits. A lot of words here but I believe it could work this time around.

Even though it would be nice to see at least some nice custom decals like the ProStar in the opening post, I don't see what the problem is with making a custom out of existing kits. I'm still in progress on this probably forgotten beast, life stepped in and put a big hold on it!

HPIM3010.jpg

Once I get out of the 1:1 big truck for good (which will be VERY soon!!) I have plans for more customs, and all from existing kits. I had my doubts on building a large car and had this one planned for over 10 years before I got over the fear of cutting the frame in half and stretching the sleeper, but I'm glad I did!

EDIT: By the way, the fenders are from Eric as well as some other goodies for it not in this pic. His work is top notch!

Edited by highway

Even though it would be nice to see at least some nice custom decals like the ProStar in the opening post, I don't see what the problem is with making a custom out of existing kits. I'm still in progress on this probably forgotten beast, life stepped in and put a big hold on it!

HPIM3010.jpg

Once I get out of the 1:1 big truck for good (which will be VERY soon!!) I have plans for more customs, and all from existing kits. I had my doubts on building a large car and had this one planned for over 10 years before I got over the fear of cutting the frame in half and stretching the sleeper, but I'm glad I did!

EDIT: By the way, the fenders are from Eric as well as some other goodies for it not in this pic. His work is top notch!

Yeah! I was wondering what happened to this one!