Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 TAMIYA F1 mania-joining the F1 movement!

OK to support you rabid F1 lovers, I dragged out a few of my old crocks. These were built in the '70's---when they were still on track! I prefer the character of these earlier generation cars to today's cyborgs.

Great to see the fine work you guys do. These were the days before PE, BMF and AN fittings and all the great details we have today. They are pretty fragile from being stored so many years but they survive. They actually acquired 'patina' over the years; the whites yellowed a bit, decals faded slightly and the paints have developed a nice near matte finish. Just like old race cars that sat in storage, it presents a nostalgic appearance. I actually like them more now than when new. Tamiya has been making fine replicas for decades.

Long live F1 modeling!

PB060010Large.jpg

PB060001Large.jpg

PB060018Large.jpg

Some sweet builds there...I esp. like the double wing Gold Leaf Lotus (1969?). I have a couple 1:12th F1 kits in my stash and a bunch of 1:20th (along w/ some Exoto 1:18th diecast and various 1:43rd ones)

Yup-'69. I debated pulling it apart and doing the wings and struts in BMF and horsing-around with lines and fittings. But as I said, there's something about the simple, nostalgic statement they make with a little patina. I love 'em more than when new.

Yes I know, but I did the Mario Andretti build and something got stuck to a couple of decals, so I was wondering if you had a few extras laying around :D

Very cool build. Glad to see the model reissue lived so well over the decades.

Alas, sorry, no old spare decals.

Cool! Chevelle or Camaro?

Whichever body that L78 was in, is rare stuff indeed today!

Chevelle. That baby was a street-racing delight. Ate 442s, GTOs, Mustangs and Gran Sports. Muncie WR 4 speed, 3:73s and after 1 year, I painted it Cadlliac Firemist Blue-that was a big thing back then....

Edited by Cato