Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT `68 Roadrunner

Snake and Bill, I'm not as picky about the flaws with this kit as you guys are. Looking at Tim Boyd's pictures and review it looks fine to me. To the adverage person, I beleive they would not notice the flaws in the model. I feel the same way about Revell's '70 Cuda and '57 Ford. If the flaws were never pointed out I would not have noticed them. Heck, I didn't even notice the roof on Revel's '90 Mustang LX until it was pointed out. If they are not as off as old Palmer kits were, I'm pretty happy.

Now I'm okay with people finding and pointing out the flaws in a kit. And I'm okay with people fixing them if they want. What I don't like is when people go nuts and claim the kit is nothing but junk because of them. And that manufacture should not have put out such trash. Now I'm not accusing either of you guys, Snake or Bill, of doing that. Both of you seem fair minded and more interested in fixing the problem. Which is great. It's just that I'm one who says if it looks close enough, throw a little paint on it, assemble it, and I'm happy.

There is a thread here dealing with AMT's 1940/'39 Sedan kit. Again, I understand how it can not build into a correct '39. But guess what? I like the looks of the '39 Ford's front end. So, that's the reason I will be building mine as a '39. I like the looks of '40 too. But, I already have several of those. Will the adverage non car guy (or a regular car guy even) notice the problems with my '39 just by looking at it casually? I doubt it. And I'm sure they will not notice the flaws in AMT's '68 Road Runner. Where the old Palmer kits they would notice.

Keep pointing out the flaws and fixing them if you want. I find it interesting. Just don't expect me to do the same with my kits.

As noted I love facts. And one thing I learned in college always go to the most original source if can. So to clear up some info on 1968 Road Runners, I went found my Chrysler Plymouth Division 1968 Car and Equipment Prices book, revised edition. January 1, 1968. And below is some information some may find valuable about how the '68 Road Runners were equipped.

Road Runner - V-8

RL21 - 2-door Coupe ................................ $2838.00

RL23 - 2-door Hardtop ................................ 3034.00

Extra Cost Options (as seen on AMT's model kit):

360 - Road Runner Decor Group .....................79.20 (2-door Coupe Only)

408 - Differential - Sure-Grip - With H.D. Performance Axle ... 138.90 (Req'd. With 4-speed Manual Trans. With 426 Hemi or GTX)

73 - Engine - 426 Hemi 2-4 bbl .................... 714.30 (NA W/Air Cond.) (NA W/Trailer-towing) (NA W/Auto. Speed Control)

533 - Head Restraints - Front - Left and Right ... 43.90

577 - Tachometer ............................................ 48.70 (NA With Clock)

Options That Were Standard Equipment on Road Runners:

624 - Heavy Duty Suspension

478 - Heavy-Duty Brakes

62 - Engine - 383 8-cyl. 4-bbl

535 - Moldings - Roof Drip Rail

638 - Shock Absorbers - Firm Ride - Front & Rear

393 - Transmission - 4-speed Manual (Sure Grip - H.D. Performance Axle Req'd With 426 Hemi or GTX)

Options Standard with 426 Hemi:

626 - Electrical  - Battery - 70 amp hr.

589 - Windshield Wipers - 3-speed

Interesting to note. Only one Wheel Option is listed for the 426 Hemi: 581 - Deluxe Wheel Covers 15". That's it. The wheels seen with the AMT's model are listed as option "580 - Styled Road Wheels 14" (NA With Wheel Covers) (NA 426 Hemi Engine)" No tires are listed as an option with the 426 Hemi. Regular 383 Road Runners came with F70 X 14 Red Streak tires as standard equipment. Option 46 - F70 X 14 White Streak (NA W/426 Hemi Eng.) is list as a No Charge option.

Also note. Options 486 - Console, and 485 - Center Seat Cushion and Folding Armrest (NA With Console) were not offered on '68 Road Runners. Because '68 Road Runners were only available with bench seats. Most other options available on '68 Plymouth Mid-Size cars were available on Road Runners.

I don't know if the above will help answer any questions for anyone else or not. But, I find them helpful.

Edited by unclescott58

As noted I love facts. And one thing I learned in college always go to the most original source if can. So to clear up some info on 1968 Road Runners, I went found my Chrysler Plymouth Division 1968 Car and Equipment Prices book, revised edition. January 1, 1968. And below is some information some may find valuable about how the '68 Road Runners were equipped.

Good info, and seems on track with my Motorbooks Dodge & Plymouth Musclecar Redbook.

I wonder if a later edition of the Equipment book (March, April, May?) would list further options? I was under the impression that buckets, console, and an upgraded interior became available on RR at mid-year, and Magnum 500s for the Hemis, but I don't have any hard reference on that, and I could be wrong.

BTW, I read somewhere sometime back that at the beginning of the model year, the Road Runner was only offered in about six or eight different basic colors--red, white, black, light yellow, silver, some kind of blue, maybe a couple others--but I've been unable to confirm that, or even come across that reference again.

That AMT thing doesn't remotely resemble a '68 Plymouth.

Looks more like a Trabant on steroids.

Man, am I glad that I have the Jo-Han '69.

Having learned to drive in my Dads 68 Sport Satellite i disagree! No model is perfect, but having been around the real deal for many years, it ain't bad! Now if you were talking the Revell 67 , you'd have a point! 

Good info, and seems on track with my Motorbooks Dodge & Plymouth Musclecar Redbook.

I wonder if a later edition of the Equipment book (March, April, May?) would list further options? I was under the impression that buckets, console, and an upgraded interior became available on RR at mid-year, and Magnum 500s for the Hemis, but I don't have any hard reference on that, and I could be wrong.

BTW, I read somewhere sometime back that at the beginning of the model year, the Road Runner was only offered in about six or eight different basic colors--red, white, black, light yellow, silver, some kind of blue, maybe a couple others--but I've been unable to confirm that, or even come across that reference again.

There is the catch to these "official" options and price guides. Things did get changed. I've not found any evidence of buckets and a console being offer from the factory for the '68 Road Runner. But, it is possible. Again I like to tell the story of my buddies '71 Buick Riviera. It's painted black and has front lamp monitors. Both of which were not available on '71 Rivs. Yet he has paperwork proving the car came from the factory that way. It was built near the end of the '71 model run. Lamp monitors became an option for sure in 1972. Did Buick decide to release them earlier on the last of '71s? It sure looks like it. And the paint? Pull the right strings, and the factories would paint a car, with reason, any factory color you wanted back then.

We also know that 15" wheels were made, like those seen on AMT's '68 Road Runner kit. So why wouldn't Plymouth offer them at some point later in the year? And the buckets and console did become an option on '69 Road Runners. There must have been complaints that they were not offered in '68. So would I be surprised if a '68 Road Runner popped up with factory installed bucket and console. No. But, I would like to see some paperwork proving it.

One last thing. To eliminate confusion it should be noted in the info I posted above, about option 360 - Road Runner Decor Group. You'll note it was only available on the 2-door Coupe and not the Hardtop. In case your wondering why? The '68 Road Runner Hardtops came with the Decor Group already as standard equipment. This included nicer seats, carpeting, bright armrest bases, rear seat armrests, and the appliqué on the trunk lid extending between the taillights. Also it should be noted the Decor Group did not become available until the Hardtop was added to the line in January of '68. Even though Road Runner was be the "bare bones" muscle car. It becomes obvious with the introduction of the Hardtop and the Decor Group that not everybody was enchanted with a basic 2-door Coupe, with plain seats and rubber floor mats. Or the lack of bright trim. And for '69... They were even willing to pay to have bucket seats in their Road Runners! By '72, you could order a Road Runner with all the goodies, making the GTX redundant and discountinued.

....all interesting reading....I owned a mint, low mile 68 'runner from 1975 to 1986 that I rarely drove, and bought it from the original owner. anyhow, thought I'd throw in something here in the facts and options column...mine was an early car, delivered December of 1967. Gary, the buyer, immediately took it home and garaged it till spring of 68 to avoid any winter driving. he was going to order a Torqueflite  car, but then realized that if you did, you got the taxi cab plastic floor covering. the only way to get carpeting was to go stick, so he did. I know the later builds were also coupes and hard tops and offered more trim and other useless junk, but the early coupes were sparse on options. as mentioned in one of the posts above mine had whitewall f70 14 tires, but most were red lines typically..... so, just wanted to mention the tranny/ carpet thing......the Ace....;)

Road Runner - V-8

RL21 - 2-door Coupe ................................ $2838.00

RL23 - 2-door Hardtop ................................ 3034.00

Extra Cost Options (as seen on AMT's model kit):

360 - Road Runner Decor Group .....................79.20 (2-door Coupe Only)

408 - Differential - Sure-Grip - With H.D. Performance Axle ... 138.90 (Req'd. With 4-speed Manual Trans. With 426 Hemi or GTX)

73 - Engine - 426 Hemi 2-4 bbl .................... 714.30 (NA W/Air Cond.) (NA W/Trailer-towing) (NA W/Auto. Speed Control)

533 - Head Restraints - Front - Left and Right ... 43.90

577 - Tachometer ............................................ 48.70 (NA With Clock)

Options That Were Standard Equipment on Road Runners:

624 - Heavy Duty Suspension

478 - Heavy-Duty Brakes

62 - Engine - 383 8-cyl. 4-bbl

535 - Moldings - Roof Drip Rail

638 - Shock Absorbers - Firm Ride - Front & Rear

393 - Transmission - 4-speed Manual (Sure Grip - H.D. Performance Axle Req'd With 426 Hemi or GTX)

Options Standard with 426 Hemi:

626 - Electrical  - Battery - 70 amp hr.

589 - Windshield Wipers - 3-speed

Interesting to note. Only one Wheel Option is listed for the 426 Hemi: 581 - Deluxe Wheel Covers 15". That's it. The wheels seen with the AMT's model are listed as option "580 - Styled Road Wheels 14" (NA With Wheel Covers) (NA 426 Hemi Engine)" No tires are listed as an option with the 426 Hemi. Regular 383 Road Runners came with F70 X 14 Red Streak tires as standard equipment. Option 46 - F70 X 14 White Streak (NA W/426 Hemi Eng.) is list as a No Charge option.

Also note. Options 486 - Console, and 485 - Center Seat Cushion and Folding Armrest (NA With Console) were not offered on '68 Road Runners. Because '68 Road Runners were only available with bench seats. Most other options available on '68 Plymouth Mid-Size cars were available on Road Runners.

I don't know if the above will help answer any questions for anyone else or not. But, I find them helpful.

Hey ACE sorry to say but the 68 Roadie's with a stick also were available with the rubber taxi cab flooring, do you  remember my 68 Roadie the dark green one  it was a stick car and that is how it was equipped

no, I don't, but its strange Martini always stressed that fact to me about having to be a 4 sp. ordered to get carpet. makes sense though, that basic stick cars would have rubber flooring.....wonder now after all these years back if mine , because of other options had carpet. it had p/s, p/b, trim mouldings, radio, but not sure if that mattered. I never got the build sheet, so who knows. as for you and your car, I recall most runners and all that hung  around at the AW with our group, but draw a blank about your car.....the Ace....;).....actually, the only 2 dark green runners that were part of our group were Bill Halls 69 and Neil McCarthys 69 as well. Bills was basic but had carpet, and Neils was fancy with buckets, console and more and also was all carpet. both were stick cars, and were dark green similar in color to the 69 340 Swinger I had prior to the beige 68 runner. Bernie Jordans was  black, Steve Wignalls was bronze, little Steves was medium blue, and Sandy Polskis was gunmetal gray after he had it painted. Bernies was an auto as was Sandys.............

Edited by AC Norton

On '68 Road Runners with 4-speeds. The carpeting was always black. No matter what color interior you ordered.

I forgot to mention two other items that came with the Road Runner Decor Group. With that option, you also got a nicer steering wheel and on the Coupe, trim for the "B" pillar.

yup, my carpet was black, even though the interior was tu tone brown/ tan.......I think the décor group option was added later in the year, but I could be wrong. my pillars were body color, and the wheel the taxi cab all plastic basic job. regardless of all spoken about above, it was one of my all time favorites of the many muscle cars I have owned thru well over 40 years.  I miss it even to this day......the Ace....;)

no, I don't, but its strange Martini always stressed that fact to me about having to be a 4 sp. ordered to get carpet. makes sense though, that basic stick cars would have rubber flooring.....wonder now after all these years back if mine , because of other options had carpet. it had p/s, p/b, trim mouldings, radio, but not sure if that mattered. I never got the build sheet, so who knows. as for you and your car, I recall most runners and all that hung  around at the AW with our group, but draw a blank about your car.....the Ace....;).....actually, the only 2 dark green runners that were part of our group were Bill Halls 69 and Neil McCarthys 69 as well. Bills was basic but had carpet, and Neils was fancy with buckets, console and more and also was all carpet. both were stick cars, and were dark green similar in color to the 69 340 Swinger I had prior to the beige 68 runner. Bernie Jordans was  black, Steve Wignalls was bronze, little Steves was medium blue, and Sandy Polskis was gunmetal gray after he had it painted. Bernies was an auto as was Sandys.............

It looks like I need to eat a little crow. Ace your questioning about whether carpet was standard or not, got me doing a little more research. My 1968 Car and Equipment Prices book does not show me exactly what is standard equipment on every car. Nor does it give a breakdown, like in later years/versions of the same book, what exactly comes in every package or with every option. It only tells you what options are available, their prices, and what options can be on what car with what other options. So off I went to the Hamtrack Registry website to look at the 1968 Dealer Data book. Which does tell you what comes as standard equipment on each model. And guess what? Road Runners, according to that book, did come with carpeting as standard equipment. So you and the Martini report are correct. Carpet was color-keyed when you ordered the TorqeFlite transmission. Black on 4-speed cars.

The Hamtrack Registry is a great website for info on Mopar muscle cars. And for Mopar none muscle cars too. I also looked at the '68 Color and Trim book. In there is no mention in there of the Hardtop Road Runners, or the Road Runner Decor Group interior. So it must be from early in the model run. They also have my exact same Car and Equipment Prices book there. Plus many other interesting official Chrysler documents, for several years, that you can look at for free.

I haven't seen Shake-n-Bake for a long time now. Do they still make it? And can I use it with crow? ?

Edited by unclescott58

It looks like I need to eat a little crow. Ace your questioning about whether carpet was standard or not, got me doing a little more research. My 1968 Car and Equipment book does not show me exactly what is standard equipment on every car. Nor does it give a breakdown, like in later years/versions of the same book, what exactly comes in every package or with every option. It only tells you what options are available, their prices, and what options can be on what car with what other options. So off I went to the Hamtrack Registry website to look at the 1968 Dealer Data book. Which does tell you what comes as standard equipment on each model. And guess what? Road Runners, according to that book, did come with carpeting as standard equipment. So you and the Martini report are correct. Carpet was color-keyed when you ordered the TorqeFlite transmission. Black on 4-speed cars.

The Hamtrack Registry is a great website for info on Mopar muscle cars. And for Mopar none muscle cars too. I also looked at the '68 Color and Trim book. In there is no mention in there of the Hardtop Road Runners, or the Road Runner Decor Group interior. So it must be from early in the model run. They also have my exact same Car and Equipment Prices book there. Plus many other interesting official Chrysler documents, for several years, that you can look at for free.

I haven't seen Shake-n-Bake for a long time now. Do they still make it? And can I use it with crow? ?

relax, Scott....I see no crows flying by. its always a mixed bag of what was and what was not in car options for a new model as RR was in 68. I only go by the car  I had and what my friends had also, and the info I got from the original owner. I know my 69 340 Swinger had the same type of mixed bag option and equipment combos too, but lets stick to this topic...lol....:lol:  best, the Ace

15" wheels were mandatory with the Hemi Package , at least 1969-1971 ( all literature that I've read also points to this being the case for '68 as well ) ..Chrysler didn't offer stylled wheels in 15" until the ill-fated Kelsey Hayes cast centre wheels of 1969 ( the infamous "recall wheels" ) , with 15" Rallye Wheels for 1970 . Deluxe wheel covers were the only option to the base hubcaps ; however , it is alleged that the dealers oft replaced the plain steelies with the 14" Road Wheels ( Commonly mistakenly called Magnum 500s ) .

Okay, to keep on beating a dead horse, I pulled out my Plymouth 1969 Car & Equipment Prices (revised) book. For 1969 Chrysler went to a different numbering system for their options. And the '69 book it tells us what's included with those options. So below is what came with what they now called the "Road Runner Decor Package." This should give us a pretty good idea of what was included in the '68 "Road Runner Decor Group."

A87 - Road Runner Decor Package (2-door Coupe only) ............. $81.50

Custom-Quality Vinyl Bench Seat *

Rear Armrests w/Ash Receivers

Bright B-Pillar Moldings

Deluxe Steering Wheel with Partial Horn Ring *

Chrome Tailpipe Extensions * (exc. Calif.)

Bright Door Trim Panel Moldings *

Bright Armrest Bases *

The * after each item that has it, indicates "Available in Package only." Again the package was only available on the 2-Coupe. Because all the pieces of the package, except the "Bright B-Pillar Moldings, are standard on the 2-door Hardtop and the Convertible. Also note there is no rear deck lid accent panel in the '69 Decor Package. Which from everything I've read, did come with the '68 Decor Group. And we know for sure it was standard on the '68 Hardtop.

Okay, that's enough beating the dead horse for now. It's almost bed time. Now to hop into bed and read more stuff on Road Runners. 1968, and on up.

Edited by unclescott58

Okay, time for me to beat that dead horse a little more. As you guys know I recenty decided to buy another AMT '68 Road Runner kit from a vendor on eBay. And be anal about correct information on the cars I build is important to me. The models themselves may not 100% correct when I'm done. But, I can at least tell you why.

This brings me back to rubber floor mats versus carpeting in the base Road Runner coupe for '68. From another vendor on eBay I bought the 1968 Road Runner Belvedere Illustrated Facts Manual. Jim Osborn Reproductions, Inc. has put out several these "Illustrated Facts Manuals" on a wide variety of mainly muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. Reprinting parts of factory sales and information manuals. So I get the Road Runner Belvedere one in the mail today. Guess what? First, the manual they based this reprint off of is obviously an early one. Only the Road Runner 2-door Coupe is listed. And there is no talk about the Road Runner Decor Group. But the surprise came in the pages titled the 1986 Mid-Size Five Equipment. It's a comprehensive list of both standard and option equipment for the '68 Mid-Size Plymouths. And here's what it says under "Floor covering (Passenger comp.)." Color-keyed rubber mat, standard on Road Runner and Belvedere. Color-keyed formed carpet, standard on GTX, Sport Satellite, and Satellite. And no carpet option for the Road Runner is listed!

Okay I don't know what to think. Was the original plan to offer the Road Runner so bare bones that Plymouth felt carpet wasn't needed? Then quickly changed their minds and made carpet standard? That's the only thing I can figure out.

One other thing. The five-spoke 15" "Road Wheels" do not show up in any book I have, listing them as being available on the Hemi Road Runners in '68 or '69. The '68 Illustrated Fact Manual list the 14" Road Wheels as being optional on all mid-size models. But, parenthesis on the with that option states, "NA w/wheel covers, disc brakes or 426 Hemi."  So were these wheels available in a 15" size at some point in '68 or '69 as depicted on the AMT '68 Road Runner model kit? Do a Google search for '68 Hemi Road Runners you'll see them equipped with Road Wheels.But what size they are? And whether factory put them on, I don't know? Yet my AMT model will have them. Right or wrong.

Edited by unclescott58

Okay, time for me to beat that dead horse a little more. As you guys know I recenty decided to buy another AMT '68 Road Runner kit from a vendor on eBay. And be anal about correct information on the cars I build is important to me. The models themselves may not 100% correct when I'm done. But, I can at least tell you why.

This brings me back to rubber floor mats versus carpeting in the base Road Runner coupe for '68. From another vendor on eBay I bought the 1968 Road Runner Belvedere Illustrated Facts Manual. Jim Osborn Reproductions, Inc. has put out several these "Illustrated Facts Manuals" on a wide variety of mainly muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. Reprinting parts of factory sales and information manuals. So I get the Road Runner Belvedere one in the mail today. Guess what? First, the manual they based this reprint off of is obviously an early one. Only the Road Runner 2-door Coupe is listed. And there is no talk about the Road Runner Decor Group. But the surprise came in the pages titled the 1986 Mid-Size Five Equipment. It's a comprehensive list of both standard and option equipment for the '68 Mid-Size Plymouths. And here's what it says under "Floor covering (Passenger comp.)." Color-keyed rubber mat, standard on Road Runner and Belvedere. Color-keyed formed carpet, standard on GTX, Sport Satellite, and Satellite. And no carpet option for the Road Runner is listed!

Okay I don't know what to think. Was the original plan to offer the Road Runner so bare bones that Plymouth felt carpet wasn't needed? Then quickly changed their minds and made carpet standard? That's the only thing I can figure out.

One other thing. The five-spoke 15" "Road Wheels" do not show up in any book I have, listing them as being available on the Hemi Road Runners in '68 or '69. The '68 Illustrated Fact Manual list the 14" Road Wheels as being optional on all mid-size models. But, parenthesis on the with that option states, "NA w/wheel covers, disc brakes or 426 Hemi."  So were these wheels available in a 15" size at some point in '68 or '69 as depicted on the AMT '68 Road Runner model kit? Do a Google search for '68 Hemi Road Runners you'll see them equipped with Road Wheels.But what size they are? And whether factory put them on, I don't know? Yet my AMT model will have them. Right or wrong.

Scott...quite simply, the "five-spoke" type Mopar Road Wheel was never offered in a 15" diameter size from the factory.   The only 15" type performance wheels from Mopar during that era were the 1970-73 15"x7" "Rallye" Wheels, the infamous "recall wheels" that were only offered on the first few weeks of production in the 1969 model year then promptly recalled, and a 15"x 6" steel wheel of similar componentry but different design that became available on the C-Body Mopars (such as the 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst car) starting in 1970.  

So any  '68 Hemi Road Runner with Road Wheels is not running factory original equipment.  This "Magnum 500" wheel was offered across many car nameplates back then with minor differences in various sizes, and 15" versions are commonly offered in the aftermarket, so they are commonly seen in 15" sizes across many vehicles, including "day 2" style Hemi Mopars....  

Also of note is that the '68 and prior Mopar 14"x 6" Road Wheel had a chrome rim, while the '69 and later 14" x 6" Road Wheel" design dropped the chrome ring and substituted a polished trim ring, still attractive but not nearly as eye-catching in my opinion  

Hope that helps....TB

Edited by tim boyd

By the way Tim, you mentioned the infamous recall wheels on the '69 Mopars. It's a shame those wheels failed, because they were IMO very good looking. I don't know about Round 2s latest release of the MPC '69 Cuda. But, past releases came with those representing the "stock" wheels. And again, even though they are not 100% correct I will use them if and when I get around to building the '69 Cuda I have in my stash.