Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daytona Day!

Danno

I thought the race was exciting enough and harkened back to the early 1980s (or perhaps the early 90s). Cars could separate and race or at least spread out a little wider in the draft, none of this two by two pack racing stuff from last year (which the Nationwide race had). I think the primary reason for the "boring" (others terms, not mine) was down to the relative newness of the cars and drivers backing off a little to avoid a repeat of yesterday. Biffle said that was primarily why he didn't drop low to do a block of Dale and Mark since Dale got a HUGE head of steam up on the low side. They got the race in clean and no green, white checker was needed (although that one wreck potentially could have brought a caution). But, give it the next plate race or two and I'm sure things will get back closer to what I hate, the tight packs.

So? Did Danica do anything newsworthy?

Top 10 finish. Was in the top 3 for a good portion of the race.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2013/2/24/4025508/daytona-500-2013-Danica-Patrick-finishes-eighth-top-10

1) Jimmie Johnson

2) Dale Earnhardt Jr.

3) Mark Martin

4) Brad Keselowski

5) Ryan Newman

6) Greg Biffle

7) Regan Smith

8) Danica Patrick

9) Michael McDowell

10) J.J. Yeley

11) Clint Bowyer

12) Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

13) Aric Almirola

14) Denny Hamlin

15) Bobby Labonte

16) David Reutimann

17) Dave Blaney

18) Marcos Ambrose

19) Joey Logano

20) Jeff Gordon

21) Paul Menard

22) Michael Waltrip

23) Scott Speed

24) Marin Truex Jr.

25) Travis Kvapil

26) Terry Labonte

27) Trevor Bayne

28) Kurt Busch

29) Casey Mears

30) Jeff Burton

31) Austin Dillon

32) Jamie McMurray

33) Carl Edwards

34) Kyle Busch

35) David Ragan

36) Kasey Kahne

37) Matt Kenseth

38) David Gilliland

39) Juan Pablo Montoya

40) Josh Wise

41) Tony Stewart

42) Kevin Harvick

43) Joe Nemechek

Edited by sjordan2

NASCAR will continue to put on these jokes called races at Daytona and Talladega. It simply isn't racing when everyone is running WFO and no one can pass without help. Yesterday, people were almost killed.. This morning, they make the claim that they're doing all they can to ensure safety. Nonsense. There's a fix to this problem. Cut the banking down at these two tracks and reduce the spoiler size. Then people have to lift entering turns. I find these 4 races to be the most boring on the schedule.

NASCAR will continue to put on these jokes called races at Daytona and Talladega. It simply isn't racing when everyone is running WFO and no one can pass without help. Yesterday, people were almost killed.. This morning, they make the claim that they're doing all they can to ensure safety. Nonsense. There's a fix to this problem. Cut the banking down at these two tracks and reduce the spoiler size. Then people have to lift entering turns. I find these 4 races to be the most boring on the schedule.

Then dont watch, its that simple

I typically don't for these 4 races.

I guess when the insurance companies realize the risk they're taking on, then something will happen. I'm sure they'll pay for Saturday's little shunt.

Maybe, maybe not, it just depends on who has the better lawayers

Some like the plate races, some dont, both sides have vaild points for both, in tell NASCAR does something to change plate races, it is what it is. I am not saying I am pro or against it, I am in the middle, but its not really racing anymore at them

Best thing they could do is go back to the 115 inch wheelbase car and put the early-mid 70's body's on them.

That would slow them down AND keep them from Lifting into the air like they do now!!

71-4 Road Runner & 71-75 Charger for MoPar, 71-75 Chevelle/Malibu & 75-77 Monte Carlo

for Chevy, 77-79 Cutlass, 70-77 T-Bird. You get the idea

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I wish the 88 would have made a move at the end. It's kind of a let down when they're single file across the stripe but congrats to the 48.

They tried the whole race to figure out how to make a move on the leaders and no one really came up with a solution. As you saw at the end a two car draft would not get it done and if they had tried a lap or even half a lap sooner they would have found themselves out of the top ten, maybe even top twenty for sure!

Gordon called it earlier in the race when he said unless he could get 7 cars to go with him it wouldn't work!

They are still trying to figure this new car/package out. Figure by the next time around at least some of the Crew Chiefs will have an answer.

Or at least we hope they do!