Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Nova Pro Street

ForcedAWD

Hello all,

I am getting ready to begin my 2nd model in the 20 year span since I last completed a model. The first which I began 20 years ago (Ferrari Testarossa) and completed this month with my 10 year old son has been completed and although it did not come out nearly as good as some of the examples here, it was special as we completed it together.

Needless to say we both have the modeling bug and we are now beginning our separate models.

IMG_6086.jpg

I chose this kit over the others that I have because these are widely available at the Hobby Lobby and LHS's around me. The body has some serious mold lines on the front fenders. I should be able to clean up the body, sand, and apply the first coat of primer today.

Thanks for looking,

Sam

I finished sanding the mold lines down and put down 2 coats of Tamiya primer sanding with 600 between each coat. The 2 halves of the hood scoop were cemented together, sanded to remove glue residue then I filled the seams with Tamiya putty and sanded again. Overall, I am happy so far with how well things are turning out. I have definitely learned a lot going over the tricks and tips forum and through the great tutorials many of you have taken the time to document.

I am hoping to be able to sand and apply one more coat of primer before tomorrow so that I can start the paint since the weather will be in the 60's here in Chicago tomorrow.

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

I finished sanding the mold lines down and put down 2 coats of Tamiya primer sanding with 600 between each coat. The 2 halves of the hood scoop were cemented together, sanded to remove glue residue then I filled the seams with Tamiya putty and sanded again. Overall, I am happy so far with how well things are turning out. I have definitely learned a lot going over the tricks and tips forum and through the great tutorials many of you have taken the time to document.

I am hoping to be able to sand and apply one more coat of primer before tomorrow so that I can start the paint since the weather will be in the 60's here in Chicago tomorrow.

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

Sam,What color are you going to paint the Nova?

• 1 month later...

Haven't been able to get much bench time in with a hectic work schedule but she's coming along...

Finished the included engine stand, engine and attached the fabricated aluminum wheel houses and firewall to the chassis. I had to sand the ends of the wheel houses on the firewall side to fit properly as they were sticking out at the front of the frame rails.

I dechromed the intake manifold and plenum and painted them and I think it looks better than the chrome they were finished in.

Still need to pick up an airbrush for a better finish but so far I am happy with the progress so far.

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

Edited by ForcedAWD

• 4 weeks later...