Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1971 Dodge Charger R/T Center Console

Anyone know if there is a 71 Charger that has bucket seats and the center console? I'm building a Super Bee and the 1:1 for my inspiration has bucket seats and the console. If there is not one, I guess I will scratchbuild one. I have already reworked the bench seat into bucket seats so if must be done, so shall it be. lol ;)

Thanks for any help,

Mark

The original MPC annual had separate buckets with a tub interior and molded in console- actually most Mopar B and E body kits with a console have it molded to the floor

Best bet for a separate console would probably be the one from the new Revell 70 Cuda- it appears to be a 71-74 style anyways. In the 1:1 cars the 71-74 B and E body used the same console, the 70 E being slightly different and having a divided "pocket" for the seat belt buckets at the rear (and ashtrays in the rear molded in armrests) where the later models had an ashtray at the rear of the console

There are also some resin consoles available- most seem to be copies of the molded in ones and not quite as nice. The MPC annuals all had automatic shifters where the Revell is a 4 speed if that's a concern

I had to go back and look at my '71 Charger. And I was surprised to see that rather buckets and console, it came with a bench. Ertl did this on the '66 Riviera they tooled up about the same time too. I always thought this was odd, even on the Riv. The real cars were available set up that way. And I do know the real car they modeled their new '66 Riv after. And it was set up that way. I assuming the same was true when they were doing their new '71 Charger. To me bucket would have been perfered in either case.

Scott

Here's a link to original brochures for the 1971 Charger models' interior choices :

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971ColorAndTrim-02.shtml

Note that all R/T's had bucket seats ; console was optional (yes , bucket seats with a column-shift auto was standard !)

Ah, but the '71 Charger R/T was also available with option C21 - Center Front Seat w/armrest (n.a. w/console, w/buckets only), $57.65. The exact same price as the console. Making a pseudo bench like set up. Which is what I assumed the AMT '71 Charger was representing.

Scott

Ah, but the '71 Charger R/T was also available with option C21 - Center Front Seat w/armrest (n.a. w/console, w/buckets only), $57.65. The exact same price as the console. Making a pseudo bench like set up. Which is what I assumed the AMT '71 Charger was representing.

Scott

Me , too . The 'Buddy Seat' was a cool option ; a 40/20/40 bench-type seat.

Another interesting aspect of the AMT 1971 Charger R/T is its unadorned exhaust outlets ! Turndown exhaust exits are indicative of the N97 Noise Reduction Package .