Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who has used Tamiya's pink primer under a red top coat?

A number of years ago I did a paint test where I shot Tamiya's lacquer maroon over an unprimed yellow fender and a similar fender in gray primer. I noticed that the maroon over yellow "popped" whereas the maroon over gray was kind of subdued.

I have heard rumors that Ferrari uses pink primer on its 1:1 red cars, so I'm curious if anyone on here has used Tamiya's pink primer under red & what, if any, difference it made.

Yeah, I know: "Spoon Test!" Sorry, I've got plenty of primer & I'm not buying any more unless someone can show me that it makes a difference.

TIA for all helpful replies.

Hi Monty, yes Ferrari does use a pink base coat.

The guys here on a German Forum build lots of Ferraris and they all say go with the pink base.

I've done some testing too with a real nice red enamel on different base shades, but personally nothing pink yet. I like the white base the best so far!

Michael

Monty,

Yes Ferrari doe's use a pinkish base coat before topcoats of red ( not all Ferraris are red but they should be)

Many OEM finishes require a certain color of primer to get a seamless color blend ( the same color primer they used at the factory)

Primers color can definitely change the hue of the top coat. Color and Hue are different as it pertains to terminology.

When I started painting (the stone age) we had three colors of primer Red, Lite Grey, and dark Grey, it was actually black.

Today with certain brands you can mix primer to what ever color you want! No limits,

I personally would not shoot a stock red over white unless it's a custom effect as it turns a pinkish shade. I use white pearl as a base coat but only for custom finishes with striking results.

I once painted a friends MGB(stone age) he did all the body work sanding all I had to do was shoot it. The original paint job was a dark maroon and he wanted a color change to white. When he brought it to the shop all we had to do was mask it and paint it. it looked like a car would look before you do a repaint, OEM paint here and there, primer where repairs were made.

He got the box of materials out of the trunk and he didn't buy any sealer, typically on a color change you spray a colored sealer to have a uniform color to put your top coat on and to prevent bleed through, sand scratches areas of bare metal.

I told him we needed sealer to prevent bleed through it was a Sunday and we couldn't get any sealer. I told him what could happen and he said shoot it anyway.The car was basically a beater that he fixed up so it wasn't like it was a prize. I shot the white over the maroon and primer spots it took many coats to get coverage but we finally got it white. The paint we used was Dupont Dulux Enamel.

We went in the house had a few beers to kill some time so we could unmask it. When we went into the shop the areas that were maroon looked like a soft pink blush. I was like oh blah blah because the recoat of the type of paint back then was 30 days so he would have to drive his Mary Kay car around for a month.

We pulled the car in the shop locked it up and he was going to come and get it the next day. Before I went to work I open up the shop to take a peek at the pink nightmare and 95.5% of the car had turned back to white. To this day I have no idea why the paint went back to white but I was thankful because I didn't have to reshoot it.

The moral of the story is I broke all the rules and got very lucky.

jwrass

I found it here in the US. Has anyone ordered from these guys before?

http://www.mehobbies.com/fine-surface-primer-in-pink-by-tamiya.html

I haven't heard of this company before, but that's undoubtedly the lowest price I've ever seen for Tamiya primer. Out of curiosity, I did a "guest" order without submitting it & went through my shipping options to see what they were charging. Long story short, I think that's where they make their money back. Maybe it's been a while since I've shipped anything but $6.50 for USPS Priority Mail seemed a little high for one can. UPS Ground & UPS 3rd day were "not available for my area" which is strange because UPS has a huge hub in the Dallas area. FedEx Ground was ridiculous @ $11.00, although this company's unspecified ground carrier (5-7 days delivery time) is somewhat cheaper @ $5 and change.

Kinda hard to pass up this price though...

I'm fairly familiar with Tamiya paints, but not with a "Pink Primer"?

I know they have a Gloss Pink in both spray and bottle.

Only Tamiya primers in spray I know about is a very fine gray and a super fine white.

I have used the gloss pink as an undercoat on a Ferrari with good results

I'm fairly familiar with Tamiya paints, but not with a "Pink Primer"?

I know they have a Gloss Pink in both spray and bottle.

Only Tamiya primers in spray I know about is a very fine gray and a super fine white.

I have used the gloss pink as an undercoat on a Ferrari with good results

As Michael pointed out above, a lot of us learned about it from the Ferrari guys. In my case, I probably heard about it on this board. If you don't have a hobby shop or other store that carries it, click on this link https://www.google.com/search?q=tamiya+pink+primer&oq=t&aqs=chrome.3.69i60l3j69i59j69i60j69i59.4285j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=tamiya+pink+primer&tbm=shop&spd=1732642335872428545 You should see a picture of a spray can. Off to the right, click on the link that says Compare prices from 10+ stores. You'll see the cost of the can + the amount they charge for shipping.

As Michael pointed out above, a lot of us learned about it from the Ferrari guys. In my case, I probably heard about it on this board. If you don't have a hobby shop or other store that carries it, click on this link https://www.google.com/search?q=tamiya+pink+primer&oq=t&aqs=chrome.3.69i60l3j69i59j69i60j69i59.4285j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=tamiya+pink+primer&tbm=shop&spd=1732642335872428545 You should see a picture of a spray can. Off to the right, click on the link that says Compare prices from 10+ stores. You'll see the cost of the can + the amount they charge for shipping.

Okay...TS-25 Pink is exactly what I used.

I thought maybe Tamiya had came out with a pink primer spray to go with their gray and white primers...which although pricey are the best primers for plastic on the market. B)

Okay...TS-25 Pink is exactly what I used.

I thought maybe Tamiya had came out with a pink primer spray to go with their gray and white primers...which although pricey are the best primers for plastic on the market. B)

Wow, sorry for misleading everybody. I usually get much better results from Google/Shopping than that, but that's what I get for posting without having my contacts in. OTOH, Gerry's post shows that the stuff does exist. It's hard to find here now unless you want to buy a can of it off Amazon - it's about $72, but the shipping's free! :blink:

I'm just wondering if it's a legit site. Some sites aren't well run and the business practices are shady. Not shipping etc.

I'll give it a shot. Worst that can happen is I lose $10-$12

Well I thought I'd gamble a bit and ordered a can. $4.25 plus $2.69 to ship to CA. I'll let you know what happens. In my town, a can of Krylon, if you can find it, is $12. The parts store will order Plastikote..for $18 a can, prepaid.

It's been about a week (+/-) since you guys placed your orders, If this business operates like any other online store, you guys should've received some kind of receipt of funds notification, not to mention a tracking number for the shipment. Have either of you heard anything from them yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't order yet, but I still plan to. been very busy with work and the baby

Everything went smooth on my order, then it got cancelled. I had to contact ME hobbies and they told me it was out of stock with no idea when restock would happen.

So...where are you guys as far as orders placed and product shipment?