Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Windshield..

Hi guys,

I have an ongoing 32 Ford build and I'm not sure about the chrome windshield, meaning the frame for the glass.

The Revell kit is from 1996, this one;

post-13335-0-74165400-1411588262_thumb.j

My question is, were the original cars equipped with a chrome frame? I can't really believe it was. I did search a bit, and I found out the firewall from the kit is not so good for my taste, and I'll change it. What about the windshield frame?

Should the glass frame be black?

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks guys. Mike, I'll leave the frame chrome. I just think it's too big, it looks too blingy for my taste. I'll see more as I move along.

Del, I'm thinking in the direction of moving the firewall back just a tad, if there's room. I mean more like just inside the cowl, instead of out front like the replica 1:1 cars. Our models are replicas, but I'd like a more real look for the model. Maybe I can just add some fine profiles to the smooth firewall to let it look better. Some mounted gadgetry like electrics and brake cylinder would help too.

Michael

Michael,

I with you on the bling factor. If you still want some shinny I'd strip the kit chrome and use one of the metalizer type paints. I personally like the trim pieces on the Hot Rods the color of the car or a stainless brushed type finish (not paint brush, A metal finished process that has a grain pattern) In my opinion I think the eyes naturally go to the shiny at fist glance. I know many times when I go to cars shows that's what my eyes do and I overlook the rest of the build.

JR, that's a good tip. I even thought about mounting the windshield frame and filing the sides, top and bottom to reduce the visible size somewhat. I did this on my 64 Dodge post door car as the posts were too thick and it came out nice. I think in 1:25 models, smaller size is often better.

I have experience with Alclad Aluminum, gloss and satin finish, this might work out well. Since the car is Candy Apple Red, I think maybe a brushed stainless type of color will work nicely. Chrome just looks a bit harsh.

More to come....

Michael