Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working Doors , 1:25..

Hi guys,

I have yet another detail question concerning models with opening doors. The Revell '51 Anglia Gasser (mine is the Street Rod version) has doors that open, but the hinges are huge! Also on the green panel car (AMT or Revell?? , I have it just not sure now which) doors and trunk lid are functional. Huge hinges!

So, in 1:1, does anyone know how wide actual hinges were/are? Let's say a 32 Ford, how big are the real hinges width/height? I's like to make them up in metal, but I'd like to be close to scale.

Anyone?

Michael

Thanks Al, I had a look there, good info.

The size mentioned was for the model stuff. I'm curious of what the original sizes were.

Michael

sorry, you got me there. if you can get some 32 ford catalogs on line, that may lead you in the right direction. I did a quick look and came up empty.

Ford's exposed door hinges tended to be about 3" high from Model A forward, IIRC. As for their "width", if you mean standing out from the body surface, that all depended on the year of the car, curvature (tumblehome) of the body in question. Generally though, the upper hinge of say, a Roadster, stood out from the body surface about an inch, while the lower hinge had to stand out considerably farther from the sheet metal, in order to have a door that would be level when opened, assuming that the car was standing on level pavement, so that varies with the year and body styling. Another reason for the exposed hinges needing to "stand out" away from the body surface is, that car doors, just like the doors in your home, are "plug" doors, in that they must close INTO a cavity, as opposed to being merely a "flap".

Art

Edited by Art Anderson