Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Ford Update, Done! 3/1

For a car that is seldom, if ever seen both in real life and on the forums, the '58 sure seems too be at least somewhat popular! What s really nice is that all are a stock build theme! The '58 was a like 'em or hate 'em year but I have always liked them. A friend of mine had a green and white two door hardtop that was beautiful until it was destroyed by a drunk driver rear ending it. The dark green/white/dark green colour combination seems to have been pretty unusual on the hard tops but it sure was pretty.

I'm thinkin' that there should be one of those "Show Me Your _____ " threads started for the '57 - 59 Ford cars!! I despise that term "show me your ____" - maybe someone can come up with a new subject title that sounds a bit more - for lack of a better term - organized?? Maybe we could ask for a sub forum for displaying make and year specific groups of models might be an idea? What say you all???

For a car that is seldom, if ever seen both in real life and on the forums, the '58 sure seems too be at least somewhat popular! What s really nice is that all are a stock build theme! The '58 was a like 'em or hate 'em year but I have always liked them. A friend of mine had a green and white two door hardtop that was beautiful until it was destroyed by a drunk driver rear ending it. The dark green/white/dark green colour combination seems to have been pretty unusual on the hard tops but it sure was pretty.

I'm thinkin' that there should be one of those "Show Me Your _____ " threads started for the '57 - 59 Ford cars!! I despise that term "show me your ____" - maybe someone can come up with a new subject title that sounds a bit more - for lack of a better term - organized?? Maybe we could ask for a sub forum for displaying make and year specific groups of models might be an idea? What say you all???

Hey, I think any time you get to see a bunch of the same type of car in one place is a good thing! Steve

Back in '57 my dad bought a brand new Ford Fairlane 500 four door and it was a real "looker" with the two tone paint and the shark fin antenna on the trunk. Well for some reason, my dad didn't like it and said that he would never buy another Ford again, and he didn't. My wife has a Ford Taurus and loves it.

My dad Had a red & white '58 Ford. I never saw it as I was too young at the time. But I do remember a story he told me about it. He said he bought it used & kept having engine trouble with it for the first few months. He kept taking it to the shop to have them look at it but they could never get it to run right. Turns out, it had the interceptor engine in it & nobody knew it. Steve

• 2 months later...

I've finally eliminated any distractions I had with this build & have moved on with it. Now that I have some paint on it, I'm beginning to get excited about it again. I'm really liking this color combo! The correct '58 Ford color combo would have been "Silvertone Blue" & "Colonial White". In the interest of saving some money on ordering more paint, I decided to use what I had & go with a '58 Caddy color called "Argyle Blue" & I'm really glad I did! I love this shade! The bottom color is Duplicolor "Arctic White" & was shot from a can. Got the scripts all cleaned off so now it's ready for clear coats. I'm hoping that February being a short month, a nice curbside build is in order for keeping up with my "one build a month" goal. Steve DSCN3822_zpsbada785a.jpgDSCN3823_zpsaf02e4e7.jpgDSCN3820_zps3a81d194.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Steve, so glad to see this one on your bench again and those colours look fantastic.

I'm particularly fond of the 58 because my uncle bought a brand new pale blue and white Custom 300 4door when I was 8.

American cars were much less common than English or Australian in New Zealand and this thing just blew me away. He always had to take me for a ride when he visited and that's where my love of classic US cars comes from.

Looking fantastic so far. Love the color combo.

And what's not to like about any 50s fin car.

I know I have been on a buying binge lately to get all kinds of late 50s to early 60s fin cars.......but I actually prefer the convertibles if I can get them

I'm just the opposite Bill. I usually shoot for hardtops. Especially on these late 50s kits. I figure the interior detailing was so horrendous, the less they're seen the better! :) Plus Many of the roof lines from the period were just so darn gorgeous! I've been "binging" for the past three years myself. Just picked up another builtup today. A 1967 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop. Scratch another one off of the list. :) Steve

Thanks guys. Tonight I cleaned up the ragged paint edges on the side trim from the masking tape & before I can move on to clear coats I need to mask & paint the panel in between the side spears black in preparation for shooting it with Alclad "Pale Gold". I picked up a quart of Duplicolor "Paint Shop" clear gloss & I'm kind of itching to give it a try. I think I might play it safe & use Duplicolor clear out of a rattle can for the first few coats & then I'll give it a good sanding & polishing before a final coat of the "Paint Shop" clear. I'm hoping it will cut down on final polishing time. We'll see. I'm still kind of in limbo as far as finding a perfect clear coat. Hoping this will be the ticket. The bonus is, a quart should last me a long time! :) Steve

Steven, get yourself some DuPont Nason clear, you'll love it! It's a 2-part Urethane that lays down smooth as glass and polishes up beautifully in 24 hours!

Great color choices on this one, I predict another one of your gorgeous builds when this one is done!

Steven, get yourself some DuPont Nason clear, you'll love it! It's a 2-part Urethane that lays down smooth as glass and polishes up beautifully in 24 hours!

Great color choices on this one, I predict another one of your gorgeous builds when this one is done!

Thanks Custom Mike. I have absolutely no experience with urethanes & I really don't have any interest in getting into mixing paints, but I do thank you for the suggestion. I just like to keep things as simple as possible. Maybe some time in the future I'll try giving something like you suggest a shot. :) Steve

Thanks Custom Mike. I have absolutely no experience with urethanes & I really don't have any interest in getting into mixing paints, but I do thank you for the suggestion. I just like to keep things as simple as possible. Maybe some time in the future I'll try giving something like you suggest a shot. :) Steve

If you don't want to mix paints (And I fully understand that!) see if you can find U-POL Clear, it's the closest you'll get to a 2-Part Urethane without having to mix anything. It comes in a huge rattle-can, and lays down just as smooth as Nason without the mixing. You'll need a respirator or mask with good ventilation though, it's very strong, and it's hard to find sometimes, but worth it if you can get your hands on some!

If you don't want to mix paints (And I fully understand that!) see if you can find U-POL Clear, it's the closest you'll get to a 2-Part Urethane without having to mix anything. It comes in a huge rattle-can, and lays down just as smooth as Nason without the mixing. You'll need a respirator or mask with good ventilation though, it's very strong, and it's hard to find sometimes, but worth it if you can get your hands on some!

Thanks. I'm always open to try new ideas, although I do get a bit reluctant when it comes to my treasured old annuals. I did a Google search & actually found that Amazon carries the U-POL clear for $20.00 a can. I may have to check it out. Is it something that could be laid down in multiple coats without hiding detail? Is it a urethane or a lacquer? Thank you for the input! Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

It's a Urethane, so it's safe to go over anything (So far I haven't had a bad reaction on any type of paint I've used it over!), and usually one to two coats is all you'll need. As far as hiding details, it lays down thin enough where as long as you don't go heavy, the details are still there. Here's a couple of examples....

The Ford script is still visible, and the side marker is still completely there, and was easily foiled...

P1100945-vi.jpg

I used Keith Marks decals, but the script is still there, so the added dimension gives them the look of real scripts!

69Talladega036-vi.jpg

A resin 428 hood for a '66 fairlane, you can see the chrome trim at the back of the bulges still, this is two coats of primer...

ResinHood03-vi.jpg

And the same hood, three color coats and two coats of U-POL, the trim is still there, and easily foiled!

ResinHood003-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike