Model Cars Magazine Forum

Expensive & collectible kits. Do you build or keep?

Both very much have there place in the hobby.

Myself, Yes I do have a few ( maybe a half dozen ) unbuilt old kits that will stay that way. All are kits I had as a kid . BUT, I also have a builder of everyone of said kits that are either already built or will be

I used to have all 3 of the Color Me Gone funnycar kits .( 2 out of the 3 were factory sealed inside) I had a major cash offer to sell them several years back that I accepted and that started a a frenzy to clean out the closet of valuable plastic. And I now buy builders/builtups of kits I want to do , some old , some new.

The most valuable old unbuilt I have today is probably only worth in the $90 - $100 range .

I got into collecting dealer promos instead. Not so sure that was a great idea either.

Edited by gtx6970

I have a few of "High $$ Kits.....I will not build...Why?...because i have many many other kits that i can just build...more so i want to build.....I keep what i call collector kits.....Simply because they are worh more unbuilt....anyhow i think just having such kits is part of my way of this hobby....

However.....i agree they are meant to be built...anyway that one wishes to do so....

Reissue....No....i don't think they will issue a Model kit as a promo...."From The FORD Motor Company....The Kit and the letter from FORD....is worth more to me than to have it it built....

Cheers to All...Don

I'm all over the spectrum on this one. I bought a 2010 Challenger kit for a couple bucks at a yard sale...i'm building it. I bought an expensive, original Aurora Chitty Bang Bang off evilbay...I plan to build it too. I have some kits on my shelf that are still sealed and some of them have worth, but eventually i'll need a fix. You know, a rip and sniff. That momentary rush you get when you rip open the plastic and smell the fresh (or musty) inside of the box.

Heck! Now I wanna go open one! THANKS ALOT NICHOLAS! :lol:

Nothing beats the smell of plastic from 30 yrs ago. Years ago I visited a model buddy in Quincey Illinois and he opened a sealed 60 El Camino. We each had a Carona and a smell. Wow, what a blast from the past. I still do that once in a while but I don't have anything that old that is still sealed. The smell stays forever. I also like the smell of old auto brochures. Brings back memories

I do both, collect some and build. There are some kits I have bought just to collect. Usually I can find newer issue kits or rebuildable lesser dollar kits of the same item. My real car is a 1960 Thunderbird and I collect literature, promos and kits of the car. I have found an original hardtop and convertible first issue AMT 3 n 1 kits that I doubt I will ever build, but display with other collectibles. I have found built ups of the same kits for less money that I will try and build someday.

Right now, I have 2 Originals I likely will not touch. AMT 65 Buick Wildcat, & ALF Aerochief Snorkle.

The Snorkle has since finally been re-issued 3 times (They had to retool the boom/basket)

The Wildcat, I need parts to correct it to build as my dad's 'Cat.

His had Hubcaps Not the Buick mags, Bench seat with armrest Not buckets & console.

and the dash is very wrong for his. The kit has the twin-pod round gauges, while his had the single

large rectangular cluster.

I want to find pictures of the car before I even think of trying to duplicate it.

I am building 3 classic annuals from then. Trophy series re-issue/continuation of the 61 Ford Galaxie 500 Sunliner,

62 Mercury Meteor 2dr sedan, and Elegance series issue of th e65 Pontiac GTO.

This is the Last issue Before it became one of the modified Dirt Stock car series racers.

I must say, the Electric Blue clear windows are interesting!!

I did have to replace the Stock GTO rims & exhaust manifolds. It only had Headers and "Johnson/Johnston Bridged Hub" Mags

according to the box.

Guest G Holding

just spent a lot of money on a 1/16th scale sedan delivery.....24.95 and for that $$ 25 I will spend on paint and primer :unsure:

Edited by G Holding

Personally anybody that pays more 50 bucks for plastic is crazy because that all it is. I have lots of old kits and I have a desirer to build it nomatter how much its worth I will that is my two cents worth. Plus this days you have no idea what the model companys are coming out with anyways.

John Pol

Yes. Pocher kits are notorious for screw holes that are too small for the screws, and the screws themselves are made of cheap metal and are very weak and brittle. If you try and force it into the hole, you'll snap off the screw head 95% of the time.

Now there is a High Quality kit that I want to spend my hard earned dollars on

Build'em ! ! I have kits they stay in storage for years but I eventually get around to building them . Below is one that I unpacked a few weeks ago and plan on building in the next few months .

000_0001.jpg

000_0002.jpg

Hey Before you build that, can I borrow the headers and resin cast them so I can build the two I have?

Guest Johnny

I don't know. I just like the look of horror on a collectors face when he gives what he thinks is a deal to a guy on an old kit and the guy stands right there and rips the plastic (or in the case of a friend cuts the tape) off the kit and says he is going to build it! :lol: