Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Shelby GT500 build...on hold for the moment.

brodie_83

I will have to give that a try. There are some parts of the interior that are dark tan but the rest will be semi gloss black. Im kinda debating on the color of the body. I picked up some Testors Icy blue that I was gonna use on another model. Still not sure yet.

Im just thinking the icy blue would go on better than the metallic black. Whatever color I go with, it will match the interior. Now I gotta think about what to do about the rims. If I should use easyoff on them & paint them magniesium or leave them chrome. Too many options. LOL!!!

Yup, the reservoir you cut off is the power steering reservoir. In 2011, they switched to an electrically assisted steering rack. The pump is the locating hole just above the alternator, and the only difference between the 2010 and 2011 setup is that the pump is gone and there is an idler pulley in it's place. If you got really picky, you could also remove the PS hose molded into the engine front right above the PS pump.

Does this kit come with separate radiator hoses for the supercharger cooling system?

I'm following this with interest because it's essentially the same engine as I'm using in my '30 Phaeton. I spent hours researching this engine. :D

Has anyone done any work on the headliner? I was thinking about painting but I dont want to mask off the whole car. Has anyone tried the flocking? Need some help on what to do with the headliner. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thanks guys for the comments! Kirt, I'd appreciate you making your own build thread instead of asking people stuff about your car in my thread. Thanks. And just to help you out, for the vinyl look, try Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. The flat black should give you the look you're looking for http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/ But seriously...make your own build thread so we can see YOUR car and help you with your questions on YOUR thread :)

Alright, for tonight's small updates, I didn't know what to do with the wire loom look, so I went to Hobbytown USA and bought a few sizes of steel braided lines. The biggest one I cut in half and painted flat black and it actually looks really cool! I might just use it in place of the wire loom. I also painted and assembled the belts. The only things left to do on the engine is the back of the alternator and the starter I think. Then I can start wiring/plumbing the engine. I already drilled out one of the valve covers for a hose. I gotta take the valve cover into Hobbytown so I can get some styrene tubing and fab up some fittings for the hoses. Anyways, here's tonight's progress:

Sizes of steel braided hose I bought

017-2.jpg

Steel braided hose before painting

002-1.jpg

And after painting

012-1.jpg

Layed on the engine to show correct scale I needed

014-2.jpg

Belt system painted and installed

003.jpg

005-1.jpg

008.jpg

Drilled out for the not-yet-fabbed fitting for the hose running to the intake

007.jpg

And I'm not really sure what the black hose running over the supercharger is, but there is a bright silver tag right in the middle of it, so I painted a silver stripe in the middle of mine to represent that tag

011-2.jpg

010.jpg

Thanks guys, comments are definitely appreciated!

I've been working on this a little bit this afternoon...I got the valve covers done with fabbed up hose fittings in the proper spots and angles, as well as a fitting on the rear of back-side of the supercharger (needs another one above it for some hoses/wires) and painted it aluminum to match. I also fabbed up a hose that runs to the back of the supercharger to the pass. side valve cover fitting. I just gotta do a little more wire detailing before that gets installed. The driver's side hose won't be installed till almost the end, since it needs the intake system installed first. Pics of progress...

001.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

I have a wedding to go to later on, so not sure if I'll get more done or not. Tomorrow I should have a lot of the engine detailing done though. More updates soon to come!

"I'm very excited with how this car is coming together so far! Can't wait to start plumbing! One thing that I want to do, but I don't know how...make the "wire loom" that runs along the top of the pass. side valve cover and along the fuel rail."

I saw an article, not sure which mag, but it described a method where you created a wire coil by wrapping fine gauge wire around something the diameter of the loom you're trying to create. Once you've created the coil to the length desired, coat it with micro crystal clear so that it fills the voids in the coil. (Probably have to hang it vertically while applying and drying). Once dry, paint part the desired color and install.

Also, just found this method, (similar, but uses teflon tape as the cover material.)

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/FlexHose/flexhose.htm

Edited by Qwit Pushin

You know what? I also recall reading something about wrapping small wire around a bigger wire and going over it with white glue. Oh well...I think I like the look of the steel braided hose better actually.

This morning I'm going garage saling with a few buddies of mine, then after I plan to go get some smaller detailing wire so I can start on that. I want to get the engine done so I can move onto the next step...the interior! I still need to decide which route I want to take with this kit before I start on the interior though.

Looking good brother your farther along than me! The engine is really a fun part to build, and too me atleast a little easier to detail because of the size. What size hose is that also?

Edited by Malard

Gorgeous engine work! this is going to be GREAT.

Note - there's nothing wrong with what you're doing with the braided hose, but you might want to look at Alex Kustov'e tutorial on making flexible ducts & hose...quick and simple. Just choose a rod of the diameter you need to wrap the wire around.

http://www.italianho...se/flexhose.htm

Edited by sjordan2

Yup, I saw that before. I didn't like the part where paint didn't like to adhere to the tape. I'm sticking with the braided hose. Might make it look better and a little bit modified.

I haven't touched the 'Stang yet today, but I came across a kit that I've been kinda looking for in an antique shop today...an AMT/Ertl '78 Lil Red Express truck. Picked it up for $10, which I thought was a great buy. Then I went to the local hobby store and saw some wheels that looked like the slotted wheels that came with the kit, but bigger, so I bought them. I opened up the kit when I got home and did a mock-up of what I'd like the truck to sit like in the end. I also have spare 5.7 Hemis out of an AMT Chrysler 300C and a Testors '06 Charger R/T that I will stick in the bay instead of the stock 360 Police Interceptor engine. It's not the right place to post it, but I figured I'd share something until I start working on the Shelby again.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

And for whoever was looking for the size of steel braided hose I got, here's the 2 sizes. The first one is the bigger size and the 2nd one is the smaller.

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Now to get back to work on the Shelby... :)

Thanks man! I'm hoping to start again on it tomorrow after work. Might go to Michael's and grab some small wire for detailing wire, since I don't have much thin wire left. I also have a 1:12 '67 Corvette and '69 Camaro that I gotta start planning too.

Since the forum was down yesterday I couldn't post up any new progress, so here it is:

I drilled holes in the part that goes attaches to the back of the supercharger so I can route lines to a fitting on the side of the supercharger like on the 1:1 cars. Then I cut the lines accordingly to size and put boots on them. I also fabbed up the fitting and glued it to the supercharger. After I painted everything, I glued it all in.

009-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

014-3.jpg

016-2.jpg

Then I painted and glued the hose that ran from the valve cover to the side of the supercharger. It didn't turn out as perfect as I'd hoped, but it's good enough I guess.

018-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

After a good nap, I decided to start on the interior pan/engine bay. I painted the interior pan first with a flat black spray paint. Not the best coverage, but it doesn't matter since I'm going to be flocking it. Then after it dried, I wrapped the interior pan in aluminum foil and sprayed the engine bay with some cheap primer I bought at Kmart and Rustoleum Automotive gloss black with no clear coat (doesn't need to be as glossy as the exterior paint). Turned out awesome! There were a few dry spots in between the strut towers and the side walls where the paint was hard to get into, so I went over those parts with some Tamiya gloss black paint with a brush and diluted it with water so it spread nicely with no brush strokes. Then I painted the details (nuts, hoses, etc.).

027.jpg

029.jpg

036.jpg

Today I'm working on the seats. The fronts have been assembled and were puttied to get rid of the seams yesterday (can still seem some of them, but much better than before). Today after it was dry, I sanded it with 220 (too coarse, but it's all I had) and sprayed the areas down with Duplicolor scratch-filling primer until I got a smooth surface, then sprayed a few light coats of the cheap primer for texture. I hope to have them dried out in the dehydrator in a lil bit, then mask off the seats except for the inserts and spray the inserts with red. After those are dry, I'll mask off the inserts and spray them black. I'm going to be lightly flocking the inserts to replicate suede. Until the next update, thanks for looking!

I have not seen this kit in the flesh as yet. Good job on this, looks like it will be great for the super-detail fans among us!

(interesting, sometimes I get this bold face and other times not, without me consciously making a change)

Edited by DanielG

Thanks! Yes, it is really easy to super-detail. This is my first big-scale kit, besides a 1/16 Trans Am that I never got past the engine and dash. So far I highly recommend this kit to anyone. It's not hard at all to assemble, and it goes together perfectly!

I got one seat in full primer with one light coat of red on it, and the other seat is in priming stages. I'll have pics of the red shot in a few more coats.

Right after finished sanding

003-2.jpg

Other seat in primer, awaiting red

008-2.jpg

Line glued into the fitting, awaiting 100% dried glue and it's ready for a few coats of semi-gloss black paint

004-3.jpg