Model Cars Magazine Forum

another revell 90 mustang lx

Devilsnake98

Wow that 2016 looks pretty darn clean with the belt moldings and the molding rails gone from the side of the body, don't know about the 03-04 style front bumper treatment though. Cool pic though thanks for sharing.

On another note, I had the body in tamiya white primer, shot down duplicolor Oxford white today, and a horrible reaction took place over most of the body and the hood. So in the purple pond it'll go. I'll most likely just go with the tamiya white primer again, then use tamiya standard white, it'll be close enough to oxford, then clear coated of course.

Edited by Devilsnake98

Got an update on my lx. Ive had the body in the purple pond for 5 days now, and it will not pull the duplicolor off of the body, pulled it off of the resin hood, but not the styrene, oh well. I have my body replacement and couldn't be happier. It is the corrected resin body by Mike Schnur and Greg Wann, it is sweet too. Ive only sanded off the 5.0 badges from the fenders, that should be the only mods ill do to this body.

100214011-vi.jpg

100214012-vi.jpg

100214013-vi.jpg

Also, ive been working on the exhaust, scratch built a no cat x pipe from .100" or 2.5mm (2.5") styrene rod and heating up the bends with a solder iron.

100214001-vi.jpg

100214002-vi.jpg

And took the kit mufflers, sanded away the beads on either end of the muffler body, added the inlet and outlet couplers to the mufflers, added faux weld seams using CA glue on a toothpick, tried making them look like Magnaflow mufflers, also used the ball flanges from the kit exhaust, and bent intermediate pipes from the mufflers to the ball flanges. Now the fun part, building the tailpipes. Thanks for looking.

100214003-vi.jpg

100214004-vi.jpg

100214005-vi.jpg

100214006-vi.jpg

One more update for now. I figured out an easy way to do the tailpipes, modify and existing set. I used the tailpipes from the Saleen speedster kit, they are the same 2.5mm (2.5") as the rest of the exhaust and I liked the tips they had. Just had to cut down the pipe in front of the axle, and where it connects to the muffler. Anyway, a couple pics.

1002142001-vi.jpg

1002142002-vi.jpg

1002142003-vi.jpg

1002142004-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more done on the notch. Got the exhaust painted and ready to install (will install after body is on for good), used standard testors silver spray paint, brush painted the mufflers steel, used graphite metallic on a toothpick for the welds on the mufflers, and duplicolor chrome for the tips.

006-vi.jpg

I have the plug wires painted and installed on the engine, red painted coil packs to represent MSD

004-vi.jpg

Also been working on the interior, this is a engine swapped car so the factory gauges wouldn't work. I made a new gauge panel with .020" sheet styrene painted black, used Slixx gauge decals, Detail master gauge bezels attached with a healthy coat of clear enamel.

011-vi.jpg

Made a simple looking double din style radio to replace the factory unit out of sheet styrene for the radio housing and the screen, and styrene rod for the knobs.

002-vi.jpg

The dash painted with tamiya semi gloss black, custom steering wheel painted to mimic a suead grip, radio painted in gray and black to stand out a little from the all black, and all vent and control knobs painted gloss black with a toothpick.

012-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

Had to lose the hand crank window cranks too, sanded them off, and filled the grips in the inner door handles.

003-vi.jpg

Door panels painted semi gloss black, carpeted areas below the handles flocked with black flocking, and the power window and lock switches painted on the door handles with a toothpick and gloss black.

015-vi.jpg

016-vi.jpg

017-vi.jpg

a little more, I used a set of seats from the 08 Bullitt Mustang kit, painted tamiya mat black, detail painted the knobs on the sides of the seats with gloss black.

018-vi.jpg

019-vi.jpg

And finally, changed the shift knob with one from my parts stash, a simple round shift knob, also deleated the console mounted armrest.

009-vi.jpg

Got my interior done over the last couple of days. Started with a rear seat delete made from .040" styrene sheet.

101914006-vi.jpg

101914008-vi.jpg

Got the floor flocked

101914009-vi.jpg

101914010-vi.jpg

Finshed the console

101914002-vi.jpg

Removed the brake booster from the firewall, smoothed it out and painted it body color. Then dug out a SN style hydro-boost brake assist, mounted it to the firewall, and added the master cylinder. This is to clear the DOHC motor.

101914005-vi.jpg

Then finally assembled the complete interior.

101914014-vi.jpg

101914012-vi.jpg

101914013-vi.jpg

101914015-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!