Model Cars Magazine Forum

new kit 1963 f100 short bed

l'll take one! The bed is wrong, but l did the same thing with my 1:1 a few years back. ln '63 the bed would have still been the mis-matched '57-'60 body style. But it obviously looks better with matching body lines! Bart.

According to the f-100 forum the 57-60 style box was brought out in 62...

Ford had problems with the unibody style trucks, and used this box as a quick fix...

By 63 they were using the new style box you see on this truck...

There may have been some older style ones still in use for 4x4 applications though...

Interesting...so they built the unibody and separate bed trucks concurrently...didn't know that. I've seen pics of 4x4 F-series of the '61-63 era w/ the '60 style bed, but hadn't seen 2wd ones before.

1:Now we need the '61 "uni-cab" version.

2:If that is the wrong bed, then AMT made the same mistake when they made their long wheelbase version when it was an annual.

Wasn't the AMT '63 annual the unibody F-series? I know the '61 is...

The seperate box was a carryover from the '57-'60 trucks, this style of box was used for short and long wb boxes. The bed included in is kit wasn't

available till '65, but alot of people switched to the better looking box.

..........The beds were made in a different location than the rest of the truck resulting in a surplus of beds. Late in the '64 model year they finally ran out of '57-'60 beds, so some trucks got the new beds. The unibody design was implemented to attract buyers who wanted a better flowing look. Pickups were only beginning to be more than "tools" at the time, so style wasn't a high priority. l am not quoting any authority, but rather vague memmories of swapping parts & info on these trucks from years ago. lf anyone can find more accurate info, l would love to actually know more. To me, these trucks ('61-'66) need to be more accessible in scale. Bart.

Is the grille and bumper going to be chromed once released for sales ?

Would it be possible to get one with NO bed ( I have a ramp bed hauler build in mind )

Might have to get one of these as I've been looking for an earlier Ford pickup to build as a period correct drag car tow vehicle

Edited by gtx6970

IN '64 and '65 I worked for a Water District in the Crestline CA. area. The two work trucks were an F100 unibody 2wd pickup and a F250 4x4 . They were both good trucks, but I remember the unibody had cracks from the front edge of the bed that ran to the cab.

Is it from Modelhaus?

No.

This is produced by Motor City Resin Casters, owned by Jeff Ballard.

Jeff is a fantastic guy and an EXCELLENT caster- he's on-par with Don Holthaus and the other leading casters.

I've met him several times at shows, got to know him when MCM had a chat-room and have purchased several of his products. All have met or exceeded my expectations. His stuff is good enough that other than perhaps being a hair lighter, you cannot tell the difference between his wares and an injection-molded part.

Charlie Larkin