Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

Well Guys you did exactly what we had hoped you'd do, you made it difficult for us to determine the winner of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. We would like to thank you all for participating in this Iconic Challenge. Jairus is one of he most renowned artist in Model Car circles as well as 1:1 press. The Challenge just seemed like a good way to Thank Jairus for his many years of inspiration.

So, without further ado here are the builds that were entered via email for judging:

4th Place

'60 Chevfin of Tony Turnbull

JWAC60Chev20110305013-vi.jpg

3rd Place

'41 Chevy Pickup of Neal Cunningham

IMG_0623-vi.jpg

2nd Place

"The Bug" of Randal Olson

newvw016-vi.jpg

And The Winner is.......................................

1st Place

"The Bomb" built by Mike McElligott

IMG_2103-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Again, thank you all for your interest and participation in the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. It's been a blast, if you didn't get your build completed in time for the final judging, go ahead and finish it, I'm sure Jairus would love to see the completed builds.

Thank you all, happy building

Fletch

Edited by Fletch

I also would love to see the other builds.I thought this was really fun and eventhough mine is just a curbside it was challenging trying to get the stuff on the paper into the third demension. after being plagued by last minute snags I will go back over this and refine some areas that got shorted due to time constraints. man that was fun!

Guys, you might think you are the only one building but remember... there are about 10 members of Scale Auto Builders Association who are building/have already completed their entries! Most of these guys are older, rarely on the computer, and have many years of experience building. Not to mention they will be at the show with their cars. So.... take excellent pictures of your completed project and post it here or email to Dave Fletcher.

While I am not able to complete my build... we are still looking at 20 - 30 entries! :wub:

Where are they?

The bulk of the cars finished in this contest were completed by members of Scale Auto Builders Association. 10 showed up at the 21st NNL. If you are a member of Facebook, click on the link.

I have no idea why more did not come from this forum. Over 50 entries were handed out and for two months last year I was answering questions and pointing builders in the right direction for most of those entries. I know of at least 2 finished builds that could have competed but didn't and more than 10 entries here were started but not finished. (Read back in the thread to see for yourself!) I didn't get my build finished either due to personal reasons so I can't complain too much.

It is what it is.

Congratulations to all the guys for completing your builds and winning!

Personally, I feel like a lump for not finishing mine, but I do intend to complete it and post it here. Keep watching.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Hey that's cool!! Congrats on putting together a fun build...I had a blast!!

Thank you, Jairus, for your contribution to this hobby!!

Thank you Dave Fletcher for dealing with the details!

This was fun!! biggrin.gif

Edited by Tony T

I'd like to see more finished up with the excitement this generated initially. Perhaps too long of a challenge for some? I know I set mine aside for a while to get a couple of other challenge and club builds done.

Come on guys...get them done! You know you want to!! smile.gif

Edited by Tony T

As Jairus indicated the total entries for the Challenge here on the forum was the 4 that are posted in last evenings posting. There were 10 total entries from the PNW Model Car Fest, here is the link to the Fotki album for those that don't have Facebook.

http://public.fotki.com/dcfletcher/model-cars/model-contests-show/jairus-watson-artwo/

Honestly, 14 total entries for 65 packets given or emailed isn't that out of line. No one should feel they let anyone down, we all have lives and sometimes that gets in the way of hobbies.

But, I would challenge each of you who has unfinished builds, to go ahead and complete those builds, that includes me and Jairus.

Thank you again for participating in the Challenge.

Fletch

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to the winners and to all who entered. For those who are still working we would like to see your hard work and skill so please show us your progress.......It was fun and I had a great time. Thanks to Jairus Watson for his artwork and the chance to bring his pictures to life in model form....Bruce (Space Cowboy)