Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Peerless Logging Trailer

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on the truck side of the forum as I have mainly stuck to cars. Anyway, my first 18 Wheeler build (before a truck) will be this original Roadrunner trailer by AMT. The box is in rough shape, but it's all there. I got it at ModelCon and for the price that I got the stuff, it was basically thrown in. Anyway...

post-12565-0-89985900-1390670548_thumb.j

post-12565-0-17846300-1390670565_thumb.j

Now, since someone beat me to it with some red paint and a brush, I'll have to get rid of that before I can proceed.

Anyway, expect more soon,

-Newbs99

I haven't decided yet..maybe a normal revel 359 with the sleeper cut off. Aside from this, I am looking at my soon to be lowrider 359 with only the chassis painted. Anyway, I'm checking out the parts now.

Thanks,

-Newbs99

Also, if anyone has any tips to avoid any problems that I may run into, that'll help...or any customizations that y'all have done to them.Thanks again

Edited by Newbs99

Bo, only issue I ran into was where the trailer 'tongue' goes thru the trailer/chassis 'body'. when assembled, the tongue should slide in and out of the 'chassis'. make sure before paint that it will slide in and out easily, and factor in paint thickness. I sanded the tongue quite a bit, and after the chassis was glued together, I filed the 'tube' the tongue goes thru for a smooth slide. hope that makes sense. aside from that, it was pretty straight forward. also, the 'bunk' arms [uprights]can either be glued stationary, or allowed to move. the bunks themselves can be put together to turn as well, so everything would turn if you were taking a corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Sorry it's been so long....with school and homework.... Here are some pictures of the purple power after about 25 days. Like jello. Those are some parts I messed up on.

post-12565-0-22372900-1391899782_thumb.j

Thanks,

-Newbs99

Edited by Newbs99

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been 10 months since I started this build, and I finally figured out photobucket. It was so much easier than I thought, I was just lead in the wrong direction by someone else. The build must go on...Newbs99 is back in business!!

Here it is...for now: ( most of these pics are old ones that never got posted)

photo11_zps1fce89ad.jpg

photo12_zps6e4afc03.jpg

photo13_zps4b7a89e4.jpg

photo14_zps989295da.jpg

photo17_zps0233215f.jpg

photo16_zpsed92d3e8.jpg

photo15_zps2107c60c.jpg

photo18_zpsb6a882c8.jpg

I'll get some more pics up in a couple days...when I find some time :D

Sorry to bump this back up to the top without any updates, but, tbill, the paint is the $1 green from walmart. And I'm impressed big time with it. Anyway, I still need to sort some stuff out, but expect more to come soon!

-Newbs99

Edited by Newbs99

• 1 month later...

Looking really good.

A 2 cent suggestion. If you have not glued the wheel assemblies in, consider "scuffing" at least the tire treads with some sandpaper to knock off the gloss. Just me, but it was one of those things that I held off doing it for eeeons and after the first time I did it, is now a "must". A little scratching up with rough grit like 180 (or a throw away emory board/nail file and then again with something like 400 does wonders on those hard vinyl AMT tires. The "armor all" effect they have is nice on the sidewalls at times...but to me, not on the treads.

I like the green and the whole build. Very well done!

Edited by olsbooks