Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo dump truck

I wanted to share a recent project . The project started after a purchase of the Diamond Reo tractor kit, but wanting something different. Wandering thru a recent model show , I found the perfect project! Gary Wallace had the Montone dump box on his table,and after a quick chat, I had my truck .

Gary mentioned the frame needed a stretch to fit the box, but sounded like a easy slump buster!

This is the project..

I chose to stagger the cuts to make the frame stronger. Then just added .040 strip and re-align the sections! After everything had a fair time to dry, I boxed in the frame rail with more strip . Time for a test fit, everything looked right, frame actually dried straight, off to the evil web for paint ideas!!

Jim- I picked it up last weekend in Binghamton during the model swap meet.

Above you can see the crossmember I added to keep the frame rigid, and made a perfect spot for the carrier bearing I need after the frame mod's.

Searching for truck info, I stumbled onto a build where the front wheels were turned. This subtle detail always looks better to me, easily done when building the newer kits from Mobius. This kit had a solid beam, but modifying the axle hubs and tie rods, I had the turned wheels I wanted for the build..hope ya all like it.

Thanks for the feedback on the lift axle. Better get an order into gwtrucks ! Would I need the high float fronts tires for that combo?

question, would a hydraulic tank mounted by the fuel tank be correct? I've seen a few mounted under the dump body, and was considering one mounted in front of the lift cylinder, but what's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

20141031_201124-vi.jpg20141031_201158-vi.jpg20141031_220021-vi.jpg

I wanted a distressed , dull look to the chrome on this build. Trucks seen during my research showed the pitted and dull sheen , now how do I do it?? A quick search here found the answer.. steel wool.

I very LIGHTLY buffed the chrome grill and bumper w super fine steel wool..0000 grade, The pic of the grill shows one side done, vs the untouched kit chrome opposite.I had already tried spraying dullcoat over a test part, but it didn't impart the look I wanted.

The hydraulic tank was a simple build from plastic sheet, loosely based from photos I took of my step dads truck.

Thanks for looking

20141031_220247-vi.jpg

The major parts are done, just waiting for weathering. The cab / hood was painted w Testors True Blue enamel, I added a few drops of dullcoat to the mix to fade the finish.

The box was a chore. Primed w Duplicolor , Testors Steel was chosen purely to enhance the blue. I really liked this combination.

My Iwata airbrush handles all the paint work, until the steel . The metallic pigment kept clogging the fine tip , no matter how thin it was. Finally my harbor freight airbrush I use for clear was used. This gun is a joke, leaks like crazy, uncomfortable to use, but dumps clear on like glass...an AK might not be pretty , but it goes bang every time!

any constructive feedback welcome!