Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Richard Petty transporter my way

One kit that I've always wanted for a long time is the AMT Richard Petty ford race car transporter kit. Being that I already have several versions of this kit I never wanted to pay the high price that they were going for. Now that Round 2 has reissued the transporter and the Dodge dart stock-car I figured I would go ahead and build it as if I had the kit. But as usual I can't leave things alone and made some changes to the transporter bed. I never liked how the ramps had the recesses for the front wheels so I sanded off all the raise detail cut a single piece of diamond plate plastic to fit in between the walls of the bed and glued it in place. I then cut two new vertical walls to place on the sides of the upper portion of the bed. Then I just assembled the bed as per the instructions. Something else I plan to do is, complete The storage boxes under the body. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the doors open or not. But knowing me, I probably will. :-)post-2928-0-30763400-1419230420_thumb.jppost-2928-0-43942600-1419230432_thumb.jppost-2928-0-43323400-1419230447_thumb.jppost-2928-0-11894800-1419230462_thumb.jppost-2928-0-95273000-1419230477_thumb.jppost-2928-0-97467000-1419230501_thumb.jppost-2928-0-05420300-1419230516_thumb.jp

Edited by Ben

One kit that I've always wanted for a long time is the AMT Richard Petty ford race car transporter kit. Being that I already have several versions of this kit I never wanted to pay the high price that they were going for. Now that Round 2 has reissued the transporter and the Dodge dart stock-car I figured I would go ahead and build it as if I had the kit. But as usual I can't leave things alone and made some changes to the transporter bed. I never liked how the ramps had the recesses for the front wheels so I sanded off all the raise detail cut a single piece of diamond plate plastic to fit in between the walls of the bed and glued it in place. I then cut two new vertical walls to place on the sides of the upper portion of the bed. Then I just assembled the bed as per the instructions. Something else I plan to do is, complete The storage boxes under the body. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the doors open or not.

I just bought one too and I feel the same about those recesses. What are you going to do for tie-downs? D-Rings & chocks? I'll build mine with the N-600.

Nice rework on the ramp body. I'm with you guys on changing the design on the wheel cut outs. They appear to be to "deep" for a realistic design. I also like the how the ramps are nicely tucked under the bed. That Pete day cab would like nice hauling the Dart! Very nice work!

I had the Budweiser combo back in the day. I thought this was a really cool kit with the race car. Never knew there was a couple other Ford combos out there as I acquired/built mine in the late 70s.

Jeff