Model Cars Magazine Forum

For any of you that still believe 3-D printing is a far-off dream...

Well, having seen several tooling mockups for 1/25 scale model car kits, 3D is still pretty rough, layered. While the layered printing process isn't all that noticeable on straight, flat or vertical surfaces, on the compound surfaces of a model car body, or certainly on suspension components, the layered process often leaves those parts looking as if they were sanded to shape from some sort of wood with very pronouced hard & soft rings of woodgrain.

Just my view, of course--but one of these days? Who knows?

Art

The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace. Just a few scant years ago, a digital camera that had a 3 megapixel limit was state of the art. Today it's several times that. Why would you assume that 3-D printer technology isn't going to advance just as fast, if not faster?

Seriously... given where 3-D printing technology was just 2-3 years ago compared to where it is today, I can't understand those of you that still think it's some sort of far-off fantasy that might come true "some day."

They figured out how to increase the storage capacity of CDs... went to DVD... now Blu-Ray, each a step forward in how much information can be stored on a disk.

They figured out how to dramatically increase the megapixels on digital cameras, and it's still going on...

They figured out how to increase the size of a TV screen... then they figured out HDTV and how to dramatically increase the amount of information a screen can deliver.

Do you seriously believe they're not going to figure out how to increase a 3-D printer's resolution?

Come on! :lol:

The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace. Just a few scant years ago, a digital camera that had a 3 megapixel limit was state of the art. Today it's several times that. Why would you assume that 3-D printer technology isn't going to advance just as fast, if not faster?

Seriously... given where 3-D printing technology was just 2-3 years ago compared to where it is today, I can't understand those of you that still think it's some sort of far-off fantasy that might come true "some day."

People hate change, people are afraid of new technology , I think part of the reason is this, and this isnt a slam to anyone, but with 3D printing, its not something that everyone may have knowledge on how to do it, it not like say resin casting, which is something anyone can do for the most part, if you want to do your own stuff with 3D printing, there is going to be a very steep learning curve for many.

I am sure that software will come along that will make it more user friendly, but I feel that could one reason why

>The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace.

that's true in a way but actually not. the problem is the physical size of the medium used to create the piece, and the nozzles needed to shoot that medium. while pixels exist only on an electronic tube, 3D printing is a physical piece in three dimensions and so is the material that makes up that physical piece. so not only must the resolution of the images become better but so must the hardware used to actually spray the resin as well as the resin itself.

probably million dollar machines are approaching a good standard currently but certainly anything you buy at home depot is not going to satisify the needs of a 24th scale modeler.

jb

jb

It doesn't matter how fine of a resolution printer you have sitting on your desk, if you can't build the 3D model that is needed to make a print there is no reason to have the printer. Designing and building the 3D model is the real show stopper here, everyone seems to forget that.

Mark

It doesn't matter how fine of a resolution printer you have sitting on your desk, if you can't build the 3D model that is needed to make a print there is no reason to have the printer. Designing and building the 3D model is the real show stopper here, everyone seems to forget that.

Mark

I've been saying the same thing, since the 3D printers for modelers topics started. CAD programs are not easy to master & I doubt they will get much easier. Files will be available but at what price? What if you want something obscure?

Believe me, as 3-D printers continue to advance in resolution capability and decrease in price, it will create a HUGE market for 3-D printable files of all sorts of things, including model cars. I have absolutely no doubt that one day very soon, owning a 3-D printer will be as common as owning a microwave oven, and there will be thousands of 3-D printable files available everywhere. It's inevitable. The technology exists. You can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

It's like telling Edison, ok, big deal, so you've invented the light bulb. But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes! That's just crazy talk! :lol::lol:

Alexander Graham Bell and his best buddy, circa late 1800s:

So Alex... you've invented this so-called "telephone" and you just called your assistant Watson in the next room? And you say that one day we will be able to use this "telephone" and actually talk to someone on the other side of the world?

HA!

Al. Dude. Seriously. It'll never happen! You're talking nonsense! Pie in the sky! Lay off the whiskey, my friend. This "telephone" of yours may be an interesting experiment... but surely it can't possibly develop into anything more.

uh harry:

>But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes!

guess what? you cant buy them anywhere anymore (at least not in California), not in their original design anyway.

but I think you're arguing with yourself, I don't think anyone thinks it wont happen, its just not happened yet

jb

uh harry:

>But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes!

guess what? you cant buy them anywhere anymore (at least not in California), not in their original design anyway.

but I think you're arguing with yourself, I don't think anyone thinks it wont happen, its just not happened yet

jb

of course you cant it gives you cancer

I just don't see the 3D printing thing becoming "household". The technically adept will adopt it and use it but most people are not that adept at using CAD or CAM programs, scanning, getting different pieces of hardware and software to work with each other. Also, I don't think the finished products will be as good as molded products. They won't have the same integrity. It may be fine for Christmas ornaments and knick-knacks but not a lot else.

It isn't the "light bulb". The advantages of the light bulb were quite obvious. It is more like the "paperless office" and everyone working online from home. Great idea but probably won't happen for most people. It does however remind me of Steve Jobs mom - "Why would I ever need a computer in my home?"

Speaking of the light bulb - did you know that the first electrical generating plant only operated at night? The only electrical devices were lights and you only needed them at night. The future is unpredictable.

I agree with Harry on this one. I work in the product development world as an industrial designer. We've been working with 3d printed parts for about 20 years now but in the last 5 or so the technology has rapidly become cheaper, faster and better. But the tech is still just in its infancy. It's where PC computing was in the late 70's. People then thought computers only had uses for business and hobbyists. By the 90's though everybody had one. And now you can do the same things plus more from your phone. As people figure out how to leverage 3d printing technology and make it more accessible, durable and practical, its going to invade every aspect of your life even in ways you cant imagine now.... printing your food, your products, your home, even living tissue. Sound crazy? Check it out. All is being done right now. Within the next two decades 3d printing is going to explode. It's not going to be a manner of whether or not you have a 3d printer in your home. The question is how many styles of 3d printers will you have and what can't be printed?

Edited by S. Svendsen