Model Cars Magazine Forum

scale model car

Does anybody know where I can get a model kit for a 1924 Hispano-Suiza H6 tulipwood body roadster? There was a kit made by a company in Italy called "modelismo Leonardo" but they are no longer in business. Failing getting a model, does anyone know where I can get the scakle model plans for the car.

Gerald Wingrove has a reasonably extensive chapter about his building of this car in his book, "The Complete Car Modeller Vol. 1."

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Car-Modeller-1/dp/1861266448/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405801611&sr=1-1&keywords=gerald+wingrove

He has two galleries and a video here:

http://www.wworkshop.net/Hispano_Suiza/The_Story.html

While the book doesn't have his drawings, he is an extremely nice guy and you should contact him with any questions you have at the site in the link.

Want a kit because I want to build the car.I don't think a die cast model will show enough detail for me to build a car.

The diecast might be a good starting point. Take it apart, detail it, replace parts that you think need replacing, etc. I've done that to diecast models before... the results can be amazing. Just an idea...

Want a kit because I want to build the car.I don't think a die cast model will show enough detail for me to build a car.

What scale do you want to build?

1. There is no kit. (But there once was a 1/12 resin kit by Total Model for about $3000, long out of production)

2. Franklin Mint diecasts are very high-end and usually far more detailed than any kit. You can always take one apart and add your own detail if you're not satisfied. The 1:24 one in Harry's link for $66 looks like a steal.

Edited by sjordan2

The diecast might be a good starting point. Take it apart, detail it, replace parts that you think need replacing, etc. I've done that to diecast models before... the results can be amazing. Just an idea...

Uh, the Franklin Mint diecast has a body machine carved from solid blocks of wood, where the actual Tulipwood Hisso Speedster (which I've seen several times in real life) has its bodywork, and fenders made from thin strips of tulipwood, with something like 3000 brass flush-headed marine screws. IIRC, the coachwork was done by craftsmen who worked for Nieuport, builder of the WW-I French fighter plane.

In short, the FM model just didn't "cut it" with me.

Art

Die cast cars look rather toyish to me, 1/18 scale doesn't do it for me. There's something especial about building your own kit, and taking pride in it.

You can start with the Heller Hispano Suiza 6B, it's the very same model of Hispano Suiza as the Tulipwood Speedster, just has different coachwork.

Art

You can start with the Heller Hispano Suiza 6B, it's the very same model of Hispano Suiza as the Tulipwood Speedster, just has different coachwork.

Art

And just exactly how do you suggest he replicate the tulipwood bodywork and the thousands of flush-head marine screws if he uses that kit as a starting point? :blink:

What I wanted to ask is this: I wish to find the kit made by Modelismo Leonardo. Please reply with any useful information on how or where to look for this kit. Are there model shops in the UK or other parts of the world that any of you on this wonderful forum could recomend to me?

Here's information on that kit. I think it's the same one I referenced above. Don't know where you can find it. According to the site, the company is out of business.

http://www.hapico.com/01_12th/ML/1216/00.htm

This is an international site for builders of large-scale car models. You might ask there if anyone can help you.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?48-Large-Scale-Cars

Edited by sjordan2

I did a google search for the kit. Nothing. Also not on ebay, either ebay US or foreign. You're probably not going to find this kit unless you get lucky and it pops up on ebay some day.

eBay will allow you to set up a search agent. So put in " Modelismo Leonardo" and you'll get an email anytime something by this manufacturer gets listed. I use their search agents all the time, always having several searches active for different collectibles. eBay is so dynamic that it will show up eventually!