Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirt Track Dio Complete! 8/24/08

ronr

Sign painters came today so I let them back on the track for some Hot Laps.

100_3242.jpg

100_3243.jpg

100_3244.jpg

100_3245.jpg

Ole Buddy`s giving Rocky a shot in the rear while Herman slips by on the inside!!!!!!

NOW ........Where did I put that MUD!!!!!!!! :o

Edited by ronr

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is absolutely KILLER!!!!. Reminds me of the old Starlite Speedway. They had the pit access road running paralell with the homestretch between the home stretch and the grandstand just like that. If you've got the storage room it's real easy to cut some strips of styrofoam to make concrete grandstands.

GRANDSTAND_END.jpg

box.jpg

100_3329.jpg

100_3330.jpg

100_3331.jpg

100_3327.jpg

Thanks for the idea Luke. Grandstands are my next Dio project. I made the track modular so I could add them later.

Well......Call this one finished.........Now to see if ican get in a couple more builds completed before the Southern NNL`s in Atlanta.

Edited by ronr

Wow great job Ron ! It looks very realistic. I have a question though, how did you make the mud look "wet" like it does. I'm thinkin gloss brown paints slopped on there, but I wouldn't think you'd get that nice of a result. Thanks for showin us the progress on this one. It turned out great. Good luck at NNL. -Will

Wow! that is sooooo cool, Ron. whatta ya wanta 'finish' it for? Looks like yer havin way too much fun with it to 'finish' it! ;) .

1 question--I thought I membered that you did this as a replica of a real track? and was just wonderin ifn the real track has that 'hole in the wall' there--man that looks dangerous! Ifn it am for real, did anyone ever nail it? ;)

thanks for the little tips on the mud and the shine, btw :blink:

It'z amazin' tha idears Ronnie comes up wid whilst he's a sittin' on his Throne in hiz Library.... :P;):lol:

Yu Rock Oldere Fart... :o:blink: phew....stand back ...some o' thet stuff iz well aged....... 60 yr old gawja mountain likker..... :rolleyes::D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the memories

Coming from a guy who drove one of those thing a ma jigs back in the early NASCAR years it brings back a load of memories GREAT JOB!!!!!

You have giving me an Idea for the diorama that the Fairgroundsstaff has asked me to do! The American Legion Post 24 has always owned the racetrack and the fairgrounds!

the guys at AMP24 found out that I loved to build cars that ran on the track through the years and has nicely asked me to do a memories thing for a display

I asked them if I could use the entire center of half of the display building and they told me oSo in Sept of 09 I will have an entire half mile dirt track oval built with around 25 skeeter cars running the track (simulated) the Idea u gave me was to have the flagman waving a red flag as ont of the skeeters takes a wild flipping ride down the front sretch with wheels flying and parts strewn everywhere !

I have a combo flag stand scoring booth built along with a concession stand restrooms tow truck water truck and a lot of Late model sportsmen slab sides already built

these will be on the

line up grid in the pit area as though waiting to go on the track for their Main event Iwil also build trailors and haulers for all the cars, and if the good Lord willing have a few civilian cars parked in the infield JUst thought of something else I need I need an ambuilance and a police car where can I get a 1-24., 1-25 scale ambulane?

post-3665-1227275219_thumb.jpg

post-3665-1227275275_thumb.jpg

post-3665-1227275342_thumb.jpg

post-3665-1227275406_thumb.jpg

post-3665-1227275488_thumb.jpg this was my first race car

lilsquirt

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...